2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolvesckm

May 28, 2021
Yes, it was a PFO on 04 June for their direct TC. Hoping it's positive news for you though.
Just read on their current vacancies page that if you haven't heard back from them within 6 weeks of the app deadline, then you've been unsuccessful. So I'm guessing I too have been unsuccessful. Ahhh damn it. I received an email on 01 June saying they'll provide you with an update but I got nothing. It sucks that they don't follow up on that!

Sonia_Kawaii

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Jan 12, 2021
    Just read on their current vacancies page that if you haven't heard back from them within 6 weeks of the app deadline, then you've been unsuccessful. So I'm guessing I too have been unsuccessful. Ahhh damn it. I received an email on 01 June saying they'll provide you with an update but I got nothing. It sucks that they don't follow up on that!
    I read that somewhere too. They did send me an email on 26 May saying that they were taking longer to review apps because of the high volume of apps and that they would update me after the bank holiday weekend. Didn't take them long to send me that PFO lol. You should probably send them an email.

wolvesckm

May 28, 2021
    I read that somewhere too. They did send me an email on 26 May saying that they were taking longer to review apps because of the high volume of apps and that they would update me after the bank holiday weekend. Didn't take them long to send me that PFO lol. You should probably send them an email.
    I think I got that exact same email on 01 June but since I didn't hear anything back, I emailed them on 18 June and still haven't received a reply. A bit odd actually.

Sonia_Kawaii

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jan 12, 2021
    I think I got that exact same email on 01 June but since I didn't hear anything back, I emailed them on 18 June and still haven't received a reply. A bit odd actually.
    Yeah that's weird because they updated me fairly quickly. Did you check for any correspondence from them on your apply4law account?

glaw23

Distinguished Member
  • May 20, 2021
    Yeah, I've been checking that too and the last correspondence I received from them was from 01 June

I think that's so naughty. I know they get a LOT of applications, but in my opinion they (and all other employers) should just email to say if you have been unsuccessful. We spend ages on an application, so an email template rejection doesn't feel like too much to ask, y'know? 🙃

wolvesckm

May 28, 2021
    I think that's so naughty. I know they get a LOT of applications, but in my opinion they (and all other employers) should just email to say if you have been unsuccessful. We spend ages on an application, so an email template rejection doesn't feel like too much to ask, y'know? 🙃
    I 100% agree with you!! Then at least you know instead of being left in the lurch 😕 it's honestly frustrating, especially when firms say they'll provide you with an update but don't. Oh well, I guess that's a rejection then 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: glaw23

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi

can someone explain to me what will happen if I don’t get a TC this year. I know that some firms, this is their last year they are recruiting for a TC. Are most firms still running TC for a while?
    Firms will still recruit training contracts, they will just be rebranded under the SQE.

Reactions: Asbi

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    hey could you please elaborate on this, what do you mean by " this is the last year that some firms are recruiting for a TC". Are they shutting down? (hope not)
    No - it’s just where the SQE is coming in. Technically training contracts don’t have to exist any more as they are no longer regulated. Law firms still have the need for trainees, it will just be under a different qualification system.

glaw23

Distinguished Member
  • May 20, 2021
    I feel like I don't have enough things such as extra curricular activities, scholarships, achievements, etc.

In fact, I have nothing for the last two! I don't know if its me just being hard on myself when looking at achievements and underselling myself?

Does anyone have any examples of valid achievements they can think of so I can judge whether or not it's just me being negative or whether I actually don't have any? 🤣

A

Anon 11031

I feel like I don't have enough things such as extra curricular activities, scholarships, achievements, etc.

In fact, I have nothing for the last two! I don't know if its me just being hard on myself when looking at achievements and underselling myself?

Does anyone have any examples of valid achievements they can think of so I can judge whether or not it's just me being negative or whether I actually don't have any? 🤣
    I don't have a great deal of time for extra curricular activities. When people ask these questions I talk about things I've done in the past and why I'm passionate about those causes and elaborate that, when I do get the time, I will invest in them in the future.

Additionally, there are smaller things you can do such as attend events/webinars on topic that interest you and talk about that. Like I watch the FinTech North Webinars and attend various online events that interest me!

I've even talked about things to do with my spare time activities, such as setting up a female only gaming forum and explained that I saw a gap in terms of diversity etc.

Don't try and think too traditionally. I got caught up in feeling like I needed to talk about great charity work, and that just isn't the case. I'm sure there's something - I hope that helped spark some ideas! ❤️

Edit: Basically, just think about what interests you (activities, spare time interests etc) and then think about things that you have done. Even if you think it's small, if it's important to you, amplify it and explain why you think that's an achievement!

glaw23

Distinguished Member
  • May 20, 2021
    I don't have a great deal of time for extra curricular activities. When people ask I talk about things I've done in the past and why I'm passionate about those causes and elaborate that, when I do get the time, I will invest in them in the future.

Additionally, there are smaller things you can do such as attend events/webinars on topic that interest you and talk about that. Like I watch the FinTech North Webinars and attend various online events that interest me!

I've even talked about things to do with my spare time activities, such as setting up a female only gaming forum and explained that I saw a gap in terms of diversity etc.

Don't try and think too traditionally. I got caught up in feeling like I needed to talk about great charity work, and that just isn't the case. I'm sure there's something - I hope that helped spark some ideas! ❤️

Thank you so much! I think you're right... I get it stuck in my head that it has to be these particular things (sports or charity work, etc), when it can really be anything.

Thank you for your help ❤️

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.