2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonia_Kawaii

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Jan 12, 2021
    Is there a rule to how many reasons you can give to answer the question "Why do you want to work at X firm?"
    I know some people stick to three reasons, but what if I have more?

Sonia_Kawaii

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jan 12, 2021
    Right?! They emailed me last night like:

"LaSt ChAnCe!!!!!! GIVE ME YOUR APPLICATION NOW. LAST CHANCE."

bro read the apps you have got first and leave me be 😡🤣
    LOOOOOL like no joke. I attended their TC workshop with Aspiring Solicitors and AS were literally on our backs like "IF YOU ARE SERIOUS ABOUT THIS TC YOU SHOULD SUBMIT NOW!!!" RawwRRRRRR looool

• Haha
    Reactions: glaw23

Noodles52

Distinguished Member
  • Jun 24, 2021
    Just a question about work experience. After my rejection post-interview for a TC, I'm genuinely interested to learn about what part time roles I should be looking for to up my chances for next year. I have almost 7 years of work experience in different fields, but nothing specific to law. I will be doing my MA Law at ULaw this year, so something to work around that would be great. I didn't do an LLB (hence the conversion degree) and I've limited legal experience apart from online schemes, virtual vac schemes with Legal Cheek, and I'm an AS member so I look for mentoring schemes with that too.

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Sonia_Kawaii

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Just a question about work experience. After my rejection post-interview for a TC, I'm genuinely interested to learn about what part time roles I should be looking for to up my chances for next year. I have almost 7 years of work experience in different fields, but nothing specific to law. I will be doing my MA Law at ULaw this year, so something to work around that would be great. I didn't do an LLB (hence the conversion degree) and I've limited legal experience apart from online schemes, virtual vac schemes with Legal Cheek, and I'm an AS member so I look for mentoring schemes with that too.

Thanks in advance!
    Part-time work in commercial law can be pretty tricky to find. I would think more about finding something that works with you alongside your studies and other commitments, and that you think will develop your skill set, rather than trying to identify specific roles.

Reactions: Noodles52

Sonia_Kawaii

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jan 12, 2021

Thanks in advance!
    I would suggest making use of your uni's career's service. See if you can join their law clinic - they've got loads of opportunities for students :)

Noodles52

Distinguished Member
  • Jun 24, 2021
    Part-time work in commercial law can be pretty tricky to find. I would think more about finding something that works with you alongside your studies and other commitments, and that you think will develop your skill set, rather than trying to identify specific roles.
    For sure, I was struggling to find anything entry-level. I do currently work, but I suppose I was considering the feedback I had in that having some work experience would help with future prospects.

glaw23

Distinguished Member
  • May 20, 2021
    When do TC apps start opening again?

I never usually start applying until much later in the cycle (usually due to drowning in exams and also a lot of avoidance). I have graduated this year, so I wondered roughly when I can start looking at applying to firms I'm interested in but missed due to application anxiety and exams.

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    They sure are taking their sweet time especially when they were like SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATIONS NOWWWWWW *breathes fire* lmao
    They did have vacation schemes this week, so that may be why they haven't gotten back yet. I know that they've offered TCs from earlier schemes for some offices already. I had mine last week and was told I would find out probably next week.

Noodles52

Distinguished Member
  • Jun 24, 2021

I never usually start applying until much later in the cycle (usually due to drowning in exams and also a lot of avoidance). I have graduated this year, so I wondered roughly when I can start looking at applying to firms I'm interested in but missed due to application anxiety and exams.
    Really depends. Some take on applications from September the year before they close, some only have a two/three month period for submissions.

Sonia_Kawaii

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jan 12, 2021
    They did have vacation schemes this week, so that may be why they haven't gotten back yet. I know that they've offered TCs from earlier schemes for some offices already. I had mine last week and was told I would find out probably next week.
    Yes, I know they’ve just had their VS. Oh wow how did your VS go? Good luck with everything 💕

Alice94

Nov 27, 2019

Thanks in advance!

Thanks in advance!
    Ulaw have some really good Pro Bono initiatives to get involved in! I would definitely recommend volunteering as the work is really rewarding/ gives you lots to talk about in applications etc ☺️

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    Yes, I know they’ve just had their VS. Oh wow how did your VS go? Good luck with everything 💕
    I don't think it went that well actually but you never really know! I certainly feel like I've given a better account of myself on other schemes. It's hard to judge though because the AG scheme was just three days and it was VERY condensed.

Good luck with your application though :) which office(s) did you apply for?

AW_08

Valued Member
    Dec 20, 2019
    I’ve seen a few people with PFO for Pinsent Masons. I’ve check my spam & I’ve not had any emails… is it worth emailing them? I applied for the London office in November & my application was updated yesterday on the portal!

Last edited:

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020

This recent discussion may help:

• ℹ️
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.