2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJ90

Esteemed Member
  • Jan 9, 2020
    Does anyone have some general AC preparation tips? I feel a bit overwhelmed with the resources and advice on here. Are there some core things I can focus on generally, regardless of the firm?

Any advice much appreciated :)
    Generic advice here, but always have at least a few commercial stories to discuss in depth:

4 Key stories to have in the bank:

1: I normally research in depth one ‘macro’/ wide ranging issue (i.e inflation, crypto regulation, Brexit etc ), and consider effects on clients/the firm.

2. then another topic on something that is tied to the firm’s key practice area in a more niche way (I.e trends in private equity)

3. A key deal or piece of litigation that interests you (I spoke about the GameStop fiasco/retail investors uprising in my last interview).

4. A deal/piece of work that the FIRM itself has worked on that you found interesting-forgot this in my first interview- never again!

Lastly, go over personal strengths and motivations. Scrutinise and create succinct answer for your motivations for why law, why this firm, and reflect on on past experiences and think about what you contributed/learnt from them and why that would make you a good trainee.

D

Deleted member 2707

Stephenson Harwood 1st Interview invite- over the moon as this is only the second time I've been invited to an interview (and passed the WG for that matter). Does anyone have any tips?

• 🏆
    Reactions: JayC

AspiringSol

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer 6
    Nov 9, 2020
    Does anyone know if Hogan Lovells sends you your WGT results if you request them and what their pass mark is?
    Also does anyone know how long they usually take to respond after the WGT?

N.9

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 1, 2021
    Does anyone know if Hogan Lovells sends you your WGT results if you request them and what their pass mark is?
    Also does anyone know how long they usually take to respond after the WGT?
    Hi there, so when I enquired they told me my results, that I'd passed their benchmark (they didn't tell me what it was) and that my app was being reviewed. NB. this wasn't this cycle, so I can't recall the answer to your second qu. I'm afraid.

Reactions: AspiringSol

lawyering

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 29, 2020
    Long time lurker here - just thought I'd share:

PFO from Hogan Lovells, applied on the deadline (31st July), sent WG 1st August to complete by Friday 6th. Did WG on Friday 6th and got my PFO this afternoon so pretty quick turnaround.

To those who have done Hogan Lovells' WG and haven't heard back yet, it could be a good sign :)

ellwilsen

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 27, 2020
    Hoping for some advice - I have a TC interview later in the week at my dream firm however as a family we have received some really awful health-related news regarding my younger sibling today and I know I won’t be able to perform at the interview. I’ve already asked to reschedule it for the same reason prior to today but it’s now clear that I won’t be in any capacity to do the interviews this week. Am I out of the running? I know I need to contact the firm but I haven’t a clue what to say. Any advice is appreciated

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hoping for some advice - I have a TC interview later in the week at my dream firm however as a family we have received some really awful health-related news regarding my younger sibling today and I know I won’t be able to perform at the interview. I’ve already asked to reschedule it for the same reason prior to today but it’s now clear that I won’t be in any capacity to do the interviews this week. Am I out of the running? I know I need to contact the firm but I haven’t a clue what to say. Any advice is appreciated
    Call them - tone over the phone and being able to talk them about it is a far better thing to do than relying on email.

The firm can be honest with you about what delaying may mean. It may not mean you are out of the running completely - I have deferred people’s interviews which meant they just had to be considered for the next cycle’s intake in situations like this. In other instances, I have said I couldn’t do anything as we had to wrap our interviews up by X date and that depending on the individual’s choices, I could just let their interviewers/assessors know (some candidates choose not to let their assessors know though).

JayB

Legendary Member
    May 16, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker

I have done quite a lot of research on the SQE, it seems like all law firms will be taking up this route for all trainees starting in 2024. But as I am a law graduate and I secure a TC offer this upcoming cycle for 2024 - when will I start the SQE course the following September 2022? As from looking at some of my friend’s experiences they have received TCs this year starting in 2023 one in 2024, and they are starting the LPC this September? So I am slightly confused. Also it seems like the LPC will remain valid until 2032.

BiancaM

Distinguished Member
  • Apr 10, 2021
    hello! i'd like some career advice regarding most likely not receiving a TC this cycle. i finished my GDL this year and would want to keep applying along with a full-time job. i was wondering whether i should stick with my previous career (i can register as an architect in the UK) and continue building my knowledge within that sector (i am particularly interested in the built environment for legal matters too) or would you think i would have a better chance of securing a TC by paralegalling after my GDL so my record is an obvious transition to the law? i hope this makes sense, i'm just not sure whether having a lack of corporate legal experience is worse or leaving a semi-established career before securing a TC is worse ): to some extent, the salary also does factor into my concern as well as i would have to accept entry-level pay again as a legal assistant. thank you in advance!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker

I have done quite a lot of research on the SQE, it seems like all law firms will be taking up this route for all trainees starting in 2024. But as I am a law graduate and I secure a TC offer this upcoming cycle for 2024 - when will I start the SQE course the following September 2022? As from looking at some of my friend’s experiences they have received TCs this year starting in 2023 one in 2024, and they are starting the LPC this September? So I am slightly confused. Also it seems like the LPC will remain valid until 2032.
    I don’t think all firms will be moving to the SQE from 2024 onwards, but many are moving where they will struggle to recruit for the LPC route given many non-lawyer graduates will only be able to take the SQE route for the 2024 intakes onwards.

The answer to when you would take the SQE very much depends on the firm you have secured the TC with. Some firms are letting their trainees do their SQE prep during their training contract rather than before it. Any terms of a TC offer will be based on individual preferences of the firm hiring you. The qualification route and when you take courses/exams is likely to be highly influenced by them, rather than you.

If you have started a law degree or the GDL prior to September 2021, you could qualify under the LPC route until 2032. However, most firms will want their trainees on one qualification system, rather than having a dual qualification system, as the trainees will have different rights/responsibilities/qualification processes. Given the LPC exempts you from SQE1, I suspect many firms will still take on LPC grads who self funded but may ask them to complete the SQE anyway.

Barnsworth

Star Member
  • Feb 1, 2021
    hello! i'd like some career advice regarding most likely not receiving a TC this cycle. i finished my GDL this year and would want to keep applying along with a full-time job. i was wondering whether i should stick with my previous career (i can register as an architect in the UK) and continue building my knowledge within that sector (i am particularly interested in the built environment for legal matters too) or would you think i would have a better chance of securing a TC by paralegalling after my GDL so my record is an obvious transition to the law? i hope this makes sense, i'm just not sure whether having a lack of corporate legal experience is worse or leaving a semi-established career before securing a TC is worse ): to some extent, the salary also does factor into my concern as well as i would have to accept entry-level pay again as a legal assistant. thank you in advance!
    Hi Banca!

In my experience from talking to a variety of TC holders and associates - working in a different industry, in your case, Architechture, will only make you more diverse as a candidate. If, however, you don't want to work in that sector then perhaps paralegal will give you more insight and experience. I know of a paralegal who's done it for five years and is actually becoming a qualified solicitor as the Law Society will recognise her experience as akin to an LPC. If your goal is to become a solicitor, then perhaps you should go for that. But, if you believe you can be an architect and 'spin' your experience to show commercial awareness and the other aptitudes needed to be a solicitor then go for it. If I were you (I know nothing about architecture) I'd ask myself a series of questions:

1. Can you be an architect and spend time exposing yourself to the legal world?
    2. Can you get relevant experience as an architect that will provide you will good examples of demonstrating commercial awareness, being a team player, working under pressure etc?

Don't worry about your 'record' - some people are in banking for several years and get a TC when they're in their 40s! There really is so no 'right time' to secure a TC, and to be honest, the older and more experienced you are the more interesting you'll look to firms IMHO. I honestly don't think firms (at least not ones I know of) will look at you and say "none of the experience is relevant" because if, as you allude to, you can find an architecture role that looks into the built environment for legal matters, and you can, again, 'spin' this in a way that makes sense then I think you've got a great chance.

But most importantly, do you want to do architecture? If so, just stay open minded because as someone that knows absolutely nothing about architecture I can tell you that it sounds pretty impressive. Besides, firms are often on the lookout for people with different experience. Will architecture aid you in real estate law, conveyancing, science and technology... I don't know. But if you think it will, then go for it! I'll bet you that you know way more about architecture than I do, and I bet you know way more about it than recruiters do as well!

EDIT: In relation to the salary, I understand your concerns, but at the same time, we'll be working until we're about 70 years old at this rate. Just find something you enjoy as you'll be surprised what opportunities come up along the way. Of course the salary is often a pull for many applicants, but there are always tons of opportunities - so even paralegalling will give you the SKILLS that you need, focus on the skills, and how you sell yourself because once you have that, you'll be more likely to secure whatever it is you want.

I hope this helps! Just my opinions, but as I recognise, I know NOTHING about architechture (i even struggle to spell it lol)

• 🏆
    • Love
    Reactions: Dheepa and BiancaM

Barnsworth

Star Member
  • Feb 1, 2021
    Hi Banca!

In my experience from talking to a variety of TC holders and associates - working in a different industry, in your case, Architechture, will only make you more diverse as a candidate. If, however, you don't want to work in that sector then perhaps paralegal will give you more insight and experience. I know of a paralegal who's done it for five years and is actually becoming a qualified solicitor as the Law Society will recognise her experience as akin to an LPC. If your goal is to become a solicitor, then perhaps you should go for that. But, if you believe you can be an architect and 'spin' your experience to show commercial awareness and the other aptitudes needed to be a solicitor then go for it. If I were you (I know nothing about architecture) I'd ask myself a series of questions:

1. Can you be an architect and spend time exposing yourself to the legal world?
    2. Can you get relevant experience as an architect that will provide you will good examples of demonstrating commercial awareness, being a team player, working under pressure etc?

Don't worry about your 'record' - some people are in banking for several years and get a TC when they're in their 40s! There really is so no 'right time' to secure a TC, and to be honest, the older and more experienced you are the more interesting you'll look to firms IMHO. I honestly don't think firms (at least not ones I know of) will look at you and say "none of the experience is relevant" because if, as you allude to, you can find an architecture role that looks into the built environment for legal matters, and you can, again, 'spin' this in a way that makes sense then I think you've got a great chance.

But most importantly, do you want to do architecture? If so, just stay open minded because as someone that knows absolutely nothing about architecture I can tell you that it sounds pretty impressive. Besides, firms are often on the lookout for people with different experience. Will architecture aid you in real estate law, conveyancing, science and technology... I don't know. But if you think it will, then go for it! I'll bet you that you know way more about architecture than I do, and I bet you know way more about it than recruiters do as well!

EDIT: In relation to the salary, I understand your concerns, but at the same time, we'll be working until we're about 70 years old at this rate. Just find something you enjoy as you'll be surprised what opportunities come up along the way. Of course the salary is often a pull for many applicants, but there are always tons of opportunities - so even paralegalling will give you the SKILLS that you need, focus on the skills, and how you sell yourself because once you have that, you'll be more likely to secure whatever it is you want.

I hope this helps! Just my opinions, but as I recognise, I know NOTHING about architechture (i even struggle to spell it lol)
    Sorry Bianca - just had another thought and wanted to share it

The TLDR is: What's your end game, what do you want to achieve? Because if it's 'become a commercial solicitor' or 'become a partner' then paralegalling for however long you do it, will give you the skills and legal and business accumen to succeed at that.

For instance, I applied for TC's last year while in the second year of my degree. But to be honest, if I'd have got a TC, I doubt I would have thrived in that environment. I wasn't ready. Once you get the skills you need or even the skill of presenting yourself and coping in a high stress environment, or learning how to sift through big documents etc, then you'll be in such a better fit.

If, however, you already have those skills and you're concerned about pay or salary - AND you would actually ENJOY being an architect, then go for it - there is nothing stopping you.

As for the fears regarding "will it look like I've gone down another path and don't really want it" I honestly wouldn't worry about that - As I said earlier, lots of people get TC's later in life. But, as someone who's not an architecht (this also probably includes law firm recruiters) it's for you to shape and portray your experience in a legal way.

If you've suggested architechture can fit nicely into law and that it makes you interesting, it makes you different, it means that you can, idk, see conveyancing and legal tech issues from a different angle, look into that, hone in on that. Because if anything, you'll become "The architecht applicant" and you'll really stand out. But it terms of making yourself relevant, start thinking in that way and you'll find it easier.

It was useful for me to write this to you because tbh, I really need to take this advice myself!!!

• 🏆
    • Love
    Reactions: Jaysen, Dheepa and BiancaM

Barnsworth

Star Member
  • Feb 1, 2021
    Long time lurker here - just thought I'd share:

PFO from Hogan Lovells, applied on the deadline (31st July), sent WG 1st August to complete by Friday 6th. Did WG on Friday 6th and got my PFO this afternoon so pretty quick turnaround.

To those who have done Hogan Lovells' WG and haven't heard back yet, it could be a good sign :)
    Thanks for sharing I really appreciate it! I applied at the end of June, I also had the WG sent on the 1st of August with a Friday the 6th deadline and I haven't heard back yet.

So hopefully it's a good sign! - P.S really commend you for informing us of this despite getting a PFO

karinny

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Mar 17, 2021
    It's been so lovely seeing everyone on this forum announce their training contract offers and I never would have comprehended I would be in a similar position so soon.

I was offered a training contract today from my dream firm, to start this year. 🌠

I truly do believe all those rejections I received only opened more doors for me which lead me to the right firm at the right time. So I would encourage anyone who is going through rejections and/or doubtfulness, do continue to persevere!

Thank you so much to the community of TCLA, being able to share my anxieties and to converse with others in the same situations has made this TC process a whole lot less isolating. 💞 💞 💞

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.