2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

collie_121

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
Sep 30, 2020
For the BCLP vac scheme application and more precisely the question: "Please detail any academic awards, positions of responsibilities and/ or any interests or hobbies outside of academics and work experience (please list in bullet points)." 300

How did people approach it?

I know there is an old thread on it, but I am still struggling. It is 300 words and asking us to list bullet points, so I assume we should not describe or go into much detail about each point. But then how do you fill up the word count? I have like 5 things to write for that question and unless I give details about each, there is no way I can reach the word count.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I was also so confused at this question. I couldn't bring myself to completely just list bullet points because I felt the need to fill the word count. What I did was 3 'bullet points' and wrote a substantial description underneath each. I have had no reply from them post-test so who knows if this was the right structure!

bendico1860

Dec 22, 2020
Guys does anyone know where I can find all the seats that a firm offers.

Also, does anyone know if BCLP offer a private equity seat. I am aware that they do a "funds and investment management" seat. Does this count as PE?

I would have thought yes - I'm assuming it covers UCITS and AIFMs, the latter of which PE firms are a part - despite their unique business strategies PE firms manage funds for investment

Reactions: Dwight

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    For the BCLP vac scheme application and more precisely the question: "Please detail any academic awards, positions of responsibilities and/ or any interests or hobbies outside of academics and work experience (please list in bullet points)." 300

I know there is an old thread on it, but I am still struggling. It is 300 words and asking us to list bullet points, so I assume we should not describe or go into much detail about each point. But then how do you fill up the word count? I have like 5 things to write for that question and unless I give details about each, there is no way I can reach the word count.

Just echoing what everyone else has already said, you don't need to hit 300 words but if you do find yourself short on things you'd like to list then I would provide detail on what each one of those positions etc entailed. The other thing I want to stress is the question also asks you about your hobbies so don't forget that even if it's a casual hobby or interest you can definitely list it!

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hi all, I know NikkiT raised this before but I've not seen anything else on it--Stephenson Harwood appear to ask a very similar question twice, how have others approached this? I'm guessing that I'll just answer it twice with different examples? Not sure if it's an error, has anyone spoken to them about it?

This is a really odd one. Don't have direct experience applying to them but for the second one I'd focus on an example from my "outside interests" since that seems to be the main addition in the question and its possibly also a question they're using to test if you are a well rounded candidate with varied interests.

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    I completed the VRT and the then received an email saying they’d respond by late February/April/August. Is that the same email you received?
    That’s as far as I’ve gotten too! Got that email on Tuesday, only said get back to me by end of Feb tho!

• 🏆
    Reactions: ZaraB

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    Hi all, I know NikkiT raised this before but I've not seen anything else on it--Stephenson Harwood appear to ask a very similar question twice, how have others approached this? I'm guessing that I'll just answer it twice with different examples? Not sure if it's an error, has anyone spoken to them about it?
    I applied for the winter scheme and passed that stage and they only had the first two questions. I just did a different example for each.
    I think the first one is exceeding expectations in your work
    The second one is a sort of positions of responsibility in societies etc
    The third one could be an extra curricular activity where you really challenged yourself? Like running a marathon or something.

Reactions: Dheepa

Veep9

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    I have another Osborne Clarke question please. First, these are the questions.

1. Please describe a current business issue or opportunity for organisations operating within one of our key sectors. Why is this topic of particular interest to you? How can Osborne Clarke assist our clients with this? (500 words max)*​

2. How is Osborne Clarke different from the other firms to which you have applied? (250 words max)*​

3. Please outline the reasons why you wish to pursue a career in commercial law at Osborne Clarke. Within your answer you should also include details of how you have developed your skills through your hobbies and interests. (500 words max)*​

4. What are the most important aspects of a career for you? What makes you feel motivated and fulfilled? (250 words max)*​

I feel like I can talk about OC’s work in answers 1 and 3. Can I make values / non hierarchical culture the focus of q2?

Beth P

Jan 9, 2021
    Hi! I was wondering whether someone could help me in distinguishing the answers for the following questions:

'How can X overcome the challenges it faces in a saturated legal market' and
    'How does X differentiate itself from other firms'

I'm not sure how to answer these differently in the same application. Thanks in advance!

MZ

Esteemed Member
    Forum Winner
    Oct 7, 2020

I know you've already gotten a few replies but I just wanted to add that I don't think using bullet points necessarily means they have to be super brief. I only wrote 3 activities/interests for mine but reached the 300-word limit by giving a description of each one and what I learned from it in each bullet point (64 words for the first, 104 for the second, 132 for the third).

I definitely wouldn't recommend doing this if you don't have much to say about each point, since it will probably look like you're just trying to fill up the word count (and you definitely don't have to use up all 300 words), but if you have things you want to share about each experience, I don't think you'd be penalised for not keeping it super short. I don't know if mine is necessarily the "right" approach but I got through to their AC so I don't think they're too strict about it being brief.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.