2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

chromaticaqueen

Star Member
  • Jan 12, 2021
    Both approaches sound good to me. I don't think you should worry about coming across as if you're critiquing the firm if you're merely suggesting amendments and improvements. It's not going to be taken badly at all, and if it does at come up at interview, I think they'd be more curious about your ideas for the improvements rather than try to catch you out because you think something is less than perfect. With regards to whether you'd be answering the question directly with the second approach, I definitely think that changing something at the firm could include identifying something the firm lacks and introducing something new to drive that change, so I'd say you'd still be answering the question.

Thanks for this, Dheepa. That's super helpful and reassuring to hear! Super appreciated. :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: Dheepa

Legalregal

Valued Member
    Jan 13, 2021
    Hey,

Has anyone noticed that the Stephenson Harwood app basically asks the same question twice. I assume this is just an extra chance to give more examples?

The first Q you need to emphasise going above and beyond in a situation. For example, everyone on your course may have to do a dissertation so is not going above and beyond.
    The second Q just answer the sub questions- so examples which demonstrate teamwork. Try to show off as many skills as you can here

Bethany

Star Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    The first Q you need to emphasise going above and beyond in a situation. For example, everyone on your course may have to do a dissertation so is not going above and beyond.
    The second Q just answer the sub questions- so examples which demonstrate teamwork. Try to show off as many skills as you can here
    Amazing thank you so much for this!!

Paul - Shearman & Sterling

Legendary Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Nov 5, 2019
    I remember there being quite a huge discussion about this last year on the forums. This is what their grad rec team have said on the matter.

Don't panic everyone!

If you send your application before the deadline (17th January) it will be evaluated in the same way as everyone else.

As we receive plenty of applications we do start to look at a few before the deadline - this just helps us to review applications in greater depth.

I'm looking forward to reading lots of new applications after the deadline. Good luck everyone!

mpongo

Jan 13, 2021
    Got rejected from my second choice law firm following the training contract interview of their vacation scheme. Very surprised if I'm honest. My work was to a high standard. Interview went very well and the partners told me it was an excellent interview and they'd hope to see me soon.

But hey, maybe they could tell I was going to accept one of my other training contract offers. :D

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hey guys,

Just wanted to post a reminder that corporate associate @LM will be joining me in our webinar today at 6pm. It's free and open to anyone (whatever stage you're at). In the session, LM will be examining the role of a corporate lawyer at a global law firm and providing transparent advice for your training contract, such as:

- How do you plan a strategy for seat selection?⁣
    - How do you write an email to your supervisor to introduce yourself?⁣
    - How do you frame an email to a partner declining work?⁣
    - How do you say 'no' without actually saying 'no'?⁣
    - How do you communicate your capacity to an associate?⁣
    - How do you decide between a client secondment and an international secondment?⁣

He'll also take questions throughout if there's anything you want to know about what being a corporate lawyer is actually like.

Book here: https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_MijUF73sR5apJ3CMl3i6dA.

reedyboy

Star Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Apr 24, 2020
    Hey guys,

Just wanted to post a reminder that corporate associate @LM will be joining me in our webinar today at 6pm. It's free and open to anyone (whatever stage you're at). In the session, LM will be examining the role of a corporate lawyer at a global law firm and providing transparent advice for your training contract, such as:

- How do you plan a strategy for seat selection?⁣
    - How do you write an email to your supervisor to introduce yourself?⁣
    - How do you frame an email to a partner declining work?⁣
    - How do you say 'no' without actually saying 'no'?⁣
    - How do you communicate your capacity to an associate?⁣
    - How do you decide between a client secondment and an international secondment?⁣

He'll also take questions throughout if there's anything you want to know about what being a corporate lawyer is actually like.

Book here: https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_MijUF73sR5apJ3CMl3i6dA.
    I have an exam tomorrow so can't attend unfortunately, will it be posted online?

This sounds so useful, thanks for running it!

FM302989

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020
    Rejected by Weil! Oh well, onto the next one now!

Don't worry friend, I got the rejection as well! Sad because I attended all of their graduate recruitment events around work, met them at Law Fairs and spent hours/days researching the firm and putting together the commercial awareness answer. I'm sure people will disagree, but I'm gutted and it honestly feels like wasted time

E.A

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 11, 2019
    Don't worry friend, I got the rejection as well! Sad because I attended all of their graduate recruitment events around work, met them at Law Fairs and spent hours/days researching the firm and putting together the commercial awareness answer. I'm sure people will disagree, but I'm gutted and it honestly feels like wasted time
    Don't worry you are not alone. I feel exactly the same when rejected.

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 37
    Mar 4, 2020
    Being fired normally means theres been some misconduct which is why the employee is removed from the company. Redundancy means the employee's job no longer exists and they are normally paid a compensation package. If someone is fired, they wouldn't receive compensation.
    Ah I see, thank you. What if an employee is being made redundant, but not given a compensation package - is that allowed? Assuming the redundancy process was conducted in a lawful, non-discriminatory way etc.

Lawgirl123

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jun 22, 2020
    Hey guys, im really worried as I have not heard back from Ashurst following an issue on the test. I've sent emails to Jen Miller and Nicola Stafford. Does anyone have direct contact numbers? thanks!!

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Every time I take a damn break...

SIDLEY AUSTIN OFFERED ME AN INTERVIEW
    1644edddbad1157b5687253923fe0985.gif

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.