2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpongo

Jan 13, 2021
"consider your application further towards the application deadline, 15 January 2021, at which time we will advise you as to whether or not you have been shortlisted for interview"

I don't think that means they would say today specifically.

Reactions: WannabeSolicitor24
D

Deleted member 3795

I am currently filling out the employment section for Browne Jacobson (attached). I am finding it rather counter-intuitive having to type out the dates/ position held when they are asked below.

(Below this is a box where you detail your responsibilities etc. so that is not what is requested in this box)

Can someone please confirm that I am doing this correct/ provide any suggestion of how to fill this out without it appearing repetitive. (@Jessica Booker maybe?)

Thank you in advance :)

I just put the position in that box because the boxes beneath go through the dates, type and employer. I did feel it was a bit unnecessary to have a large text box just for the position, considering there's another large textbox for the responsibilities and achievements. On the plus side, I really appreciated having 250 words to play with for each employment experience and how it supports the application!

Although, maybe Browne Jacobson actually wants you to repeat the information in the first box in which case I've messed up!

Reactions: rb26

ze

Dec 2, 2020
"consider your application further towards the application deadline, 15 January 2021, at which time we will advise you as to whether or not you have been shortlisted for interview"

I don't think that means they would say today specifically.

I though that implies we would hear back before if im honest! It is a little ambiguous right?

Reactions: Amy456

KS94

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Mar 21, 2018
    Can anyone direct me towards tips on preparing for situational type questions?

I always struggle with breaking down what I'd do, maybe some examples might help, not sure what else I can do improve - any suggestions welcome!

Reactions: castrooo

NikkiT

Legendary Member
    Oct 2, 2020
    1. Osborne Clarke is renowned for working across eight core sectors – Energy and Utilities, Financial Services, Life Sciences and Healthcare, Real Estate and Infrastructure, Recruitment, Retail and Consumer, Tech, Media and Comms, and Transport and Automotive.
    Please describe a current business issue or opportunity for organisations operating within one of these sectors. Why is this topic of particular interest to you? How can Osborne Clarke assist our clients with this? (500 words max)*

Did anyone answer this by referring to a specific case/article (like the DLA Piper application)? Or approach it more broadly? Struggling to know what to do as it is 500 words!

sibs23

Legendary Member
    Jan 15, 2021
    1. Osborne Clarke is renowned for working across eight core sectors – Energy and Utilities, Financial Services, Life Sciences and Healthcare, Real Estate and Infrastructure, Recruitment, Retail and Consumer, Tech, Media and Comms, and Transport and Automotive.
    Please describe a current business issue or opportunity for organisations operating within one of these sectors. Why is this topic of particular interest to you? How can Osborne Clarke assist our clients with this? (500 words max)*

Did anyone answer this by referring to a specific case/article (like the DLA Piper application)? Or approach it more broadly? Struggling to know what to do as it is 500 words!

I had an AC last year and answered this more broadly about one topic, but made sure that I made clear references to a number of companies who were negatively and positively affected by this business trend. I hope this helps!

Reactions: cmaj and collie_121

NikkiT

Legendary Member
    Oct 2, 2020
    I had an AC last year and answered this more broadly about one topic, but made sure that I made clear references to a number of companies who were negatively and positively affected by this business trend. I hope this helps!

That is really helpful thanks! I will ensure I give a few different examples then. Do you think it is ok to choose an issue which applies to all the sectors and then expand on one?

leolegal

Distinguished Member
    Dec 23, 2020

I identified an opportunity for businesses in one of their sectors, did research on specific examples of that opportunity, e.g. businesses that have already taken advantage of that opportunity, then I outlined why this is an opportunity for these businesses and identified three specific areas where the firm could assist clients, linking it back to specific deals the firm has done or areas in which they have expertise. Lastly I wrote about why this is of interest to me and brought it back to the opportunity and the firm. I hope that helps! And yeah it took me ages as 500 words is loads for a question like this!! Use this as an opportunity to show commercial awareness and really demonstrate your understanding of the issue/opportunity

• ℹ️
    Reactions: sibs23 and NikkiT

NikkiT

Legendary Member
    Oct 2, 2020
    @leolegal Thanks so much - so helpful! 500 words is more than I'm used to for this type of question.

This one is also difficult to word! '3. Please outline the reasons why you wish to pursue a career in commercial law at Osborne Clarke. Within your answer you should also include details of how you have developed your skills through your hobbies and interests. (500 words max)*'

cmaj

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019
    If anyone is feeling a bit fed up with applications particularly those who are on their second or third cycle and looking for a bit of Friday good news/motivation...last summer both the vac schemes I secured were cancelled entirely, so I was feeling pretty miserable about my chances.

I have applied to CMS 3 years in a row, and got the call today to offer me a place on their summer scheme!!!! I interviewed there in my first cycle and it was my first ever AC and it was a disaster on my end, and this year I can’t emphasise enough how much I realised how far I’d come during the AC process!!! I’m over the moon!!

So much thanks to the TCLA community - I was pretty active last cycle but have been a bit of a lurker this year, but can’t recommend the resources enough!

oh my god this is exactly like me with DLA! same situation... although I was previously a TCLA lurker and I'm now a bit more active hehe. CONGRATS SO MUCH ON YOUR OFFER!!!!! You must feel amazing! and well done on your resilience and hard work over the last three years!!!!!

bibss

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 28, 2020
    Has anyone else not heard back from Slaughters about the summer vac scheme? I applied on the deadline, but that was back in December...
    They take their time to reply... I applied mid November for a TC and I am yet to hear anything. Best of luck with your application and try not to stress too much over it!

Zoo

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Apr 21, 2019
    Thanks for the reply though I think you misunderstand me. My A Levels are fine. This is just a question about my AS Levels and whether its compulsory to include them

I only included my AS Levels if there was a specific AS Level section. If there wasn't I left them out and just put down the full A Level

sibs23

Legendary Member
    Jan 15, 2021
    That is really helpful thanks! I will ensure I give a few different examples then. Do you think it is ok to choose an issue which applies to all the sectors and then expand on one?

I identified an opportunity for businesses in one of their sectors, did research on specific examples of that opportunity, e.g. businesses that have already taken advantage of that opportunity, then I outlined why this is an opportunity for these businesses and identified three specific areas where the firm could assist clients, linking it back to specific deals the firm has done or areas in which they have expertise. Lastly I wrote about why this is of interest to me and brought it back to the opportunity and the firm. I hope that helps! And yeah it took me ages as 500 words is loads for a question like this!! Use this as an opportunity to show commercial awareness and really demonstrate your understanding of the issue/opportunity

I would agree with leolegal. The topic I talked about was linked to one sector and it was a sub-topic of a broader trend to make my answer more focused. When I described how the firm could assist clients at the end, I included a little bit about my opinion on the trend looking forward and the pace of its impact to help bulk out my answer.

Reactions: Dheepa
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.