2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kieran Tierney

Jan 20, 2021
Am I the only one that saw the number of stages required in the next stage of the Simmons & Simmons application and lost ALL interest in the firm? An application, a SJT, a verbal reasoning test, a logical reasoning test, a written assessment, and a video interview just to be CONSIDERED for an AC?

Angry Season 3 GIF by The Office

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    As others have suggested, take a little while off.

When I feel this coming on, I generally try and take an afternoon (or just an evening if I'm totally slammed) away from everything. Turn my monitors off, stick my phone on Don't Disturb, take my fiancée out to lunch or go shopping with her (hah, remember when that was a thing?!) or just take a walk, in the evening just chill out and watch Netflix/ play the PS4/ get a JustEat etc... basically, anything other than work stuff. A bottle of decent red may or may not be involved (what can I say, it's the Glaswegian in me)...
    I also try and get at least 7/8 hours (I normally sleep 3.5-4.5 hours a night)and then I'm usually good to go for another good while.

Seriously though, take a while to chill. Hope you're feeling better soon :)
    3.5 hours sleep a night!?!?! That's insane haha, how come? That's surely really bad for your long term health so I really hope that's not the case for you too often haha

Last edited:

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    3.5 hours sleep a night!?!?! That's insane haha, how come? That's surely really bad for your long term health so I really hope that's not the case for you too often haha
    3.5 is a minimum, I usually try and get 4.5! Mainly just due to how busy my day is with the different commitments I have: final year LLB, trading the financial markets, running a trading consultancy, tutoring school-aged and mature learners, as well as spending time here, also just the usual 'home' stuff like cooking and doing the dishes. I also sleep longer on the weekends when the markets are closed. I've been an awful sleeper since I was a kid, so I try and just use as much of the day as possible productively rather than tossing and turning awake in bed for an additional 3 hours :)

I definitely hit periods of burnout but I'm much better at recognising that and taking an afternoon away from work stuff every now and then to recharge. I also have a damn good espresso machine which helps! haha.

Not a lifestyle which I'd necessarily recommend but it genuinely works for me and my system is more than adapted to it now; I just have to be cognisant of when I'm pushing myself too hard and know when to take my foot off the gas a bit.

D

Deleted member 8599

3.5 is a minimum, I usually try and get 4.5! Mainly just due to how busy my day is with the different commitments I have: final year LLB, trading the financial markets, running a trading consultancy, tutoring school-aged and mature learners, as well as spending time here, also just the usual 'home' stuff like cooking and doing the dishes. I also sleep longer on the weekends when the markets are closed. I've been an awful sleeper since I was a kid, so I try and just use as much of the day as possible productively rather than tossing and turning awake in bed for an additional 3 hours :)

I definitely hit periods of burnout but I'm much better at recognising that and taking an afternoon away from work stuff every now and then to recharge. I also have a damn good espresso machine which helps! haha.

Not a lifestyle which I'd necessarily recommend but it genuinely works for me and my system is more than adapted to it now; I just have to be cognisant of when I'm pushing myself too hard and know when to take my foot off the gas a bit.
    What might work for you has an incredible toll on your body which you will notice later in life. You only have 1 heart. Take care of it!

anon101

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 2, 2020
    Hey guys, I know as potential commercial solicitors, we're meant to be able to work under pressure and all... but having received a few rejections recently, it's really affected my confidence and while I'm really grateful for having my one AC invite this cycle, I feel my imposter syndrome kicking in. The overwhelming pressure I feel from potentially messing it up, and as a final-year international student, having to go back home where things aren't great, is also completely throwing me off my AC prep. 🥺

I know this is a low-key rant (and I'm sorry!) but does anyone have any advice on how to overcome this and not let the pressure affect me?

how i met your mother crying GIF

• 🤝
    • 🏆
    Reactions: em311, OB, Jaysen and 4 others

HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 1, 2020
    Hey guys, I know as potential commercial solicitors, we're meant to be able to work under pressure and all... but having received a few rejections recently, it's really affected my confidence and while I'm really grateful for having my one AC invite this cycle, I feel my imposter syndrome kicking in. The overwhelming pressure I feel from potentially messing it up, and as a final-year international student, having to go back home where things aren't great, is also completely throwing me off my AC prep. 🥺

I know this is a low-key rant (and I'm sorry!) but does anyone have any advice on how to overcome this and not let the pressure affect me?

I feel you!! Be kind to yourself!

I attended a training course on this a while back and the coach was great, I have checked and she has written some of her top tips and thoughts, some pages below!

https://www.bigfishtraining.com/articles/techniques-for-dealing-with-imposter-syndrome-part-1.cfm

• Love
    Reactions: OB and anon101

AD2021

Star Member
    May 22, 2020

You know what I was exactly the same, and I have had two video interview invites this year and I still feel the same and if I’m honest I don’t think there’s anything we can do just convince ourselves that we can do it.
    I think so many people are faking confidence and if you fake it long enough you start to believe it. Have you ever tried positive affirmations, for example saying “I am capable of achieving what I want” “I am confident” or writing it down or whatever works. May not be for everybody but I think if you tell yourself something over and over again (like you probably are with the negative thoughts) then you start to believe it. You’re right where you’re supposed to be, not an imposter no matter what you think!

(I have lots of feelings too!!! Hahaha)

CMB

Star Member
    Jan 23, 2021
    TLT AC invite. Ap sent 13th Jan, test completed on the 15th Jan. I had a gut feeling that I was going to get a rejection today so I'm really surprised!
    Hey! Once you'd completed the test, did you receive an email confirming the results had been submitted ? I didn't ... I pressed submit and the page said something along the lines of, 'Thank you for completing the test. You can now close this page.' Did you see similar ?

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    You know what I was exactly the same, and I have had two video interview invites this year and I still feel the same and if I’m honest I don’t think there’s anything we can do just convince ourselves that we can do it.
    I think so many people are faking confidence and if you fake it long enough you start to believe it. Have you ever tried positive affirmations, for example saying “I am capable of achieving what I want” “I am confident” or writing it down or whatever works. May not be for everybody but I think if you tell yourself something over and over again (like you probably are with the negative thoughts) then you start to believe it. You’re right where you’re supposed to be, not an imposter no matter what you think!

Yes, I know it can look very cringey when you see it on American shows and in movies but I am personally a big believer in positive affirmations. While it's obviously important for self-improvement to reflect on failures and areas of weakness, I think many of us are guilty of not acknowledging our strengths and self-worth. Which may even be holding some of us back in interview situations where you have to really sell your skills and achievements.

• Love
    Reactions: OB and anon101

SouffléSouffléSoufflé

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Mar 17, 2020
    Well done!

I did the AC last year, so the format may have changed from this, but I can give tips from my experience :)

The AC consisted of:

1. Proofreading exercise - we were each given a legal document and had to amend any errors, grammatical mistakes and so on.
    2. Letter to client - we were given a case study about the sale of land/a property and needed to highlight to the client the key issues in a letter. This did not require much legal knowledge as the issues are set out very clearly in the case study, and i think you are judged more on ability to summarise / write letters as opposed to application of law. (For context I had never studied law and found it to be ok)
    3. Filling in a contract - I found this to be harder having not studied law
    4. Client interview - we were told a few days in advance we were doing an initial interview with a client, who had a clinical negligence issue. We then had 15 mins to speak with the hypothetical client and ask questions and gauge the key facts of the case etc
    5. Interview with partner/associate - mostly competency based Qs but a few Qs about the firm eg what is a recent case that Penningtons has worked on that interests you

hope that helps!

Thank you, I really appreciate this!

anon101

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 2, 2020
    I feel you!! Be kind to yourself!

I attended a training course on this a while back and the coach was great, I have checked and she has written some of her top tips and thoughts, some pages below!

https://www.bigfishtraining.com/articles/techniques-for-dealing-with-imposter-syndrome-part-1.cfm
    Thank you so much, this was a really helpful read!

Thank you for sharing this! And yes, I've just started positive affirmations recently to help with these feelings of inadequacy, hopefully, the more I repeat it, the more I end up believing it. 💕
    Yes, I know it can look very cringey when you see it on American shows and in movies but I am personally a big believer in positive affirmations. While it's obviously important for self-improvement to reflect on failures and areas of weakness, I think many of us are guilty of not acknowledging our strengths and self-worth. Which may even be holding some of us back in interview situations where you have to really sell your skills and achievements.
    This is very true!

I am so grateful for this forum :')
    Season 3 Thank You GIF by The Office

SouffléSouffléSoufflé

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Mar 17, 2020
    Hey! Once you'd completed the test, did you receive an email confirming the results had been submitted ? I didn't ... I pressed submit and the page said something along the lines of, 'Thank you for completing the test. You can now close this page.' Did you see similar ?

I didn't receive an email once I completed the test - which freaked me out a bit as I'm relying on bad rural wifi at the moment. I was scared at the time that it didn't submit properly.

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020

As a final year int'l student you should look into the new two year graduate visas if you want to stay. Even with covid on there are decent paralegaling opportunities out there.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.