2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    3.5 is a minimum, I usually try and get 4.5! Mainly just due to how busy my day is with the different commitments I have: final year LLB, trading the financial markets, running a trading consultancy, tutoring school-aged and mature learners, as well as spending time here, also just the usual 'home' stuff like cooking and doing the dishes. I also sleep longer on the weekends when the markets are closed. I've been an awful sleeper since I was a kid, so I try and just use as much of the day as possible productively rather than tossing and turning awake in bed for an additional 3 hours :)

I definitely hit periods of burnout but I'm much better at recognising that and taking an afternoon away from work stuff every now and then to recharge. I also have a damn good espresso machine which helps! haha.

Not a lifestyle which I'd necessarily recommend but it genuinely works for me and my system is more than adapted to it now; I just have to be cognisant of when I'm pushing myself too hard and know when to take my foot off the gas a bit.
    I'd really recommend everyone listen to Matthew Walker's podcast with Joe Rogan where he speaks about his book "Why we sleep" or just buying the book itself which is brilliant:

Or, alternatively, his recent Ted talk which is shorter:

For me, it was incredibly eye-opening and pretty scary tbh, as I, like you, used to prioritise everything in my life but sleep, be it work, training and competing in my sport, study etc. but his words really shocked me into making sleep more of a priority just because of how harmful less than 7 hours of sleep a night is for our minds and bodies.

While we may not see negatives in our 20s or 30s, come our 40s and 50s the consequences can be awful and by then it's too late as the damage is done. Equally, you'll probably find you'll be far more productive if you get those additional 3 hours and will use your time far more efficiently - a 2-hour task on 4 hours sleep will take you 1 hour on 8 hours sleep for instance. To me, I felt this far greater efficiency was almost like my mind and body's way of thanking me haha

If you're struggling to sleep, I found using the app 'headspace' before bed really useful and that helped improve my sleep a lot. Also, things like trying to avoid looking at my phone, laptop etc. in the hour before I go to bed can also help your mind unwind but using headspace was the gamechanger for me :)

PS: what espresso machine have you got? Need some recommendations for a new one haha :)

Last edited:

collie_121

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 30, 2020
    CMS VI invite!!! I am so happy - I completed my WG in early December and then hadn't heard anything from them!

This is my first VI so any insight into the process would be hugely appreciated :)

Massive congrats!!! The VI is 4 questions that have 1 firm question, 2 competency questions and 1 situational judgment question. You're gonna smash it!!

• ℹ️
    • Love
    Reactions: OB, AH97 and law2021

33c

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Aug 8, 2020
    To anyone who completed a Macfarlanes application-

For the skills and qualities question, did you only mention the skills expressly mentioned on their website (attention to detail, motivation, resilience etc) or did you write about other skills that would be useful for a trainee?

I wanted to write about an experience highlighting teamwork/interpersonal skills but these qualities weren't expressly mentioned.

AH97

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 30, 2019
    To anyone who completed a Macfarlanes application-

For the skills and qualities question, did you only mention the skills expressly mentioned on their website (attention to detail, motivation, resilience etc) or did you write about other skills that would be useful for a trainee?

I wanted to write about an experience highlighting teamwork/interpersonal skills but these qualities weren't expressly mentioned.

I spoke about things other than those listed on the website, more specifically interpersonal skills, adaptability and ability to build a rapport.

If you have any other Qs, feel free to PM me!

Last edited:

packhorse

Esteemed Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Might be a silly question, but do law firms who have a strong white collar crime/global investigations practice do the same work as a firm with a strong financial regulation practice? Or are they very different? For reference I am thinking Willkie vs. Akin Gump.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    I'd really recommend everyone listen to Matthew Walker's podcast with Joe Rogan where he speaks about his book "Why we sleep" or just buying the book itself which is brilliant:

Or, alternatively, his recent Ted talk which is shorter:

For me, it was incredibly eye-opening and pretty scary tbh, as I, like you, used to prioritise everything in my life but sleep, be it work, training and competing in my sport, study etc. but his words really shocked me into making sleep more of a priority just because of how harmful less than 7 hours of sleep a night is for our minds and bodies.

While we may not see negatives in our 20s or 30s, come our 40s and 50s the consequences can be awful and by then it's too late as the damage is done. Equally, you'll probably find you'll be far more productive if you get those additional 3 hours and will use your time far more efficiently - a 2-hour task on 4 hours sleep will take you 1 hour on 8 hours sleep for instance. To me, I felt this far greater efficiency was almost like my mind and body's way of thanking me haha

If you're struggling to sleep, I found using the app 'headspace' before bed really useful and that helped improve my sleep a lot. Also, things like trying to avoid looking at my phone, laptop etc. in the hour before I go to bed can also help your mind unwind but using headspace was the gamechanger for me :)

PS: what espresso machine have you got? Need some recommendations for a new one haha :)
    I'll have a look man for sure, thanks for pointing these out for me!

I use a Sage Barista Express, had a Nespresso before but I was never super keen on the coffee I got out of it. Sage machine is quite expensive but worthwhile imo.

• 🤝
    Reactions: OB and Daniel Boden

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hey guys, I know as potential commercial solicitors, we're meant to be able to work under pressure and all... but having received a few rejections recently, it's really affected my confidence and while I'm really grateful for having my one AC invite this cycle, I feel my imposter syndrome kicking in. The overwhelming pressure I feel from potentially messing it up, and as a final-year international student, having to go back home where things aren't great, is also completely throwing me off my AC prep. 🥺

I know this is a low-key rant (and I'm sorry!) but does anyone have any advice on how to overcome this and not let the pressure affect me?

how i met your mother crying GIF

Thought I'd jump in here to say, this time last year I was days away from my first AC invite that year and actually fully breaking down every day because of how unconfident I felt. So I really feel for you on this.

I agree with what everyone else has said. Positive affirmations and telling yourself you definitely can do it goes a long way. Whenever I felt my anxiety build up during prep, I would step away go on a walk listen to some particularly feel good music (lmk if you need recommendations haha) and just imagine myself killing it at the AC. A kind of manifesting if you will? 😅

I also think that although its easier said than done, you should try to keep things in perspective. You are clearly an amazing candidate that has everything it takes to be successful and you really wouldn't have made it to AC unless this was true. You and everything you bring to the table is more than enough. You got this!

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Might be a silly question, but do law firms who have a strong white collar crime/global investigations practice do the same work as a firm with a strong financial regulation practice? Or are they very different? For reference I am thinking Willkie vs. Akin Gump.
    Not my wheelhouse but I'd expect that the finreg practice would be more advisory in its nature, though might still be involved in some investigations or litigation work. Worth checking the significant matters/experiences profile on the firms' pages for those practices to get a sense of what they prioritise.

Reactions: packhorse
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.