2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ishikam

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Jan 20, 2021
Yes I did it the other day, I would definitely recommend that you are in a space where you won't be able to be distracted as many of the 'games' are speed or memory based. I would also recommending that you do it on your phone as its much easier to complete the tasks, and you could practice by downloading a couple brain game apps as those best replicate what the assessment is like. Finally (I'm not sure if you've seen this) PwC have a small e-learning for the test which I just went over! I hope that helps a bit :)
Thank you so much!

cryingoverTCs

Legendary Member
  • Mar 1, 2020
    I was hoping to get some advice on here as everyone seems to be really good at giving it :)
    It recently hit me that I have been putting in so much effort into my applications and I feel like if I do end up getting to AC/interview level, then I will have no idea what to do because I haven't been prepping for them and I haven't done any yet! I'm concerned that all my effort will go to waste! What type of things will I have to prep for? And do I need to know intricate and complex legal/commercial things? I'm extremely worried 😭

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    I was hoping to get some advice on here as everyone seems to be really good at giving it :)
    It recently hit me that I have been putting in so much effort into my applications and I feel like if I do end up getting to AC/interview level, then I will have no idea what to do because I haven't been prepping for them and I haven't done any yet! I'm concerned that all my effort will go to waste! What type of things will I have to prep for? And do I need to know intricate and complex legal/commercial things? I'm extremely worried 😭

Hey, can I just start by saying how relatable your username is 😅 .

Honestly, I used to feel exactly like this as well and I think most people do. I think almost everyone goes into the app process thinking barely any of their apps will work out and then when you do get to the AC stage the panic sets in because you feel like you either don't know where to start or if you do know where to start it's stressful because it can feel like you're starting from zero all over again. Please don't feel like you are alone in feeling like you are unprepared. Everyone feels like this and in fact I was literally just talking to a close friend who is still going through the process about how she feels the same thing!

The best way to approach ACs would be to systematically break down the different components of the AC. Typically most ACs involve a case study, a partner interview and a group exercise of some kind (sometimes a negotiation, sometimes a discussion)

@Jacob Miller has written some of the most fantastic resources out there on most of these AC elements and I'd recommend starting there.

In terms of commercial/legal knowledge, law firms definitely don't expect you to be a legal genius or know every intricate detail. Some great advice a friend once gave me was that no law firm would hire someone who is an expert in these things for an entry level role in which the whole point is to train you! Firms just want to see that you have a clear interest in the commercial world, the ability to develop an opinion on issues, and that you are able to logically work through problems. To help you understand basic commercial concepts I'd really recommend Jake Schogger's Commercial Law Handbook, TCLA's own Commercial Booklets and the M&A Course on TCLA as well (the latter is especially helpful because a majority of law firm case studies tend to involve an M&A transaction) Other than that there are some great podcasts you can listen to (linked to a thread on this here), to help you keep up to date on news stories.

Also don't forget that AC invites are extremely difficult to secure and you only make it that far because 1. You've already demonstrated some of the most important qualities they are looking for (including the commercial knowledge) and 2. The firms genuinely want to understand your motivations better. It's all about selling your experiences and the great thing about that is all you have to do is talk about yourself in the best way possible!

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.