2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hamilton

Star Member
M&A Bootcamp
Oct 8, 2018
I would give some background on why commercial law generally and then focus on what you like about the firm's training/work/opportunities. If 'why law' isn't covered elsewhere i wouldn't take it as read
Good idea. That seems a solid way to structure it without missing any key information. Grateful for your input, Rob.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hi folks, if a one-page cover letter simply requests candidates to explain why you're interested in becoming a trainee at the firm, is it recommended to therefore skip the 'why law' section which I have typically included in prior cover letters and instead, tightly hone in on the 'why this firm' dynamic? Perhaps a silly question, but your input would be valuable!
    I woukd very briefly outline why law but only very briefly. Focus in quickly and obviously on the focus of the questions thereafter.

Reactions: Rob93 and Hamilton

A92167!8

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 6, 2020
    This happened to me today as well! I replied saying that i hadn't received the previous one and he attached someone else's previous email (judging by who it was addressed to) and sent it to me. If you haven't i would recommend replying and asking as they sent important info and the dates for ACs if you pass the stage.

I was so confused 😅
    When are the AC dates?

rose63

Star Member
  • Jan 28, 2021
    I'd like to do some last minute apps (following Jaysen's post here) but realistically how likely is it to be successful? Some of the firms I'd do a last min app to I don't have much research about etc. so I'm not sure if there's much point trying? (Without sounding like negative Nancy)

SouffléSouffléSoufflé

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Mar 17, 2020
    So I asked for feedback on my interview and they said: "we don't have any constructive feedback for you" and then said where I went well etc - how am I meant to improve ahead of the TC interview in the future?

(Im not blowing my own trumpet here, genuinely stuck as I wanna make sure I improve for the next interview but I have nothing to go off)

I feel your pain! I had exactly the same thing for a TC interview last cycle.

Lily721

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    So for the Ashurst tests, I‘ve heard they are pretty horrible to get through and people have been traumatised.
    Anyone have any insight or advice before I dive into them and am faced with certain disappointment?

Scared Nervous GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Reactions: MJ90

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020
    So for the Ashurst tests, I‘ve heard they are pretty horrible to get through and people have been traumatised.
    Anyone have any insight or advice before I dive into them and am faced with certain disappointment?

Scared Nervous GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants
    Cognify is a collection of random mobile phone logic games except the time limit makes it impossible to do each question correctly in the amount of time alloted. This tends to make people stress out (me included, I almost quit the stupid thing on every single game). Play some of those brain training mobile games for a day or two before doing it.

Emotify is recognising faces which feels a bit....silly? No idea how to help you game this one if you are bad at recognising facial expressions. Don't overthink it and you should be alright.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Lily721

Azcxnnna

Jan 29, 2021
    How do you know if an AC has gone well? I find it so hard to tell and when I feel like I can’t read the partners’ response to my answers I start second-guessing myself in the interview and feel like I’m botching it. Had an AC this week where one of the partners just seemed bored and was yawning while I talked about the case study which makes me feel like I really messed up...

• 🤝
    Reactions: Dheepa
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.