2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawyer101

Distinguished Member
  • Dec 30, 2020
    Hey guys, I've got an AC next week and the firm have specified that there is 'no formal dress code'

I always wear a suit for an interview, however, so I'm abit unsure how to dress now. Would you advise wearing a shirt without the tie? I don't want to come across too casual however! Thanks in advance :)

TR17

Star Member
    Jul 3, 2020
    For those who have done the BCLP test, did you prep for it in any way beforehand? Also, do you have any tips? :)
    Hi, I did the BCLP test back in November and so my memory is a bit sketchy, but from what I can remember there’s really no way to prep for it as you’re given scenarios and you rank your responses from most likely to least likely. But again, it feels like so long ago so maybe someone who did it more recently has some insight?

Mena M

Star Member
    Dec 16, 2020
    I'm sorry to hear that - but we have no idea what's strong and what isn't - we're almost completely blind here.
    I submitted an application to HSF, spent forever on it, have visited the firm multiple times, met trainees and Grad Rec etc, got multiple trainees to read over my application and implemented their advice, sent it to both my undergrad and postgrad unis and implemented their advice, agonised over every inch of it, ensured I hit every single attribute they said they wanted, submitted it a week after applications opened. Passed the tests and then got a PFO. Then, I applied to Freshfields on the deadline day. My laptop broke and I lost my perfectly honed application and had to submit an earlier version that I'd backed up, there's a spelling error in the first sentence of my personal statement, and it says I will be doing something in October when I submitted in January (so, after I'd done it). I still got a WG invite. I've got two AC invites from other firms and I submitted both of those rushed, on the deadline day too. One of them I wasn't even going to submit because I was just too wiped from applications and was going to meet a friend instead but then it started raining and I thought it was less effort to submit it than to go out in the rain.
    Essentially, in my experience, the ones I thought were the strongest were absolutely not the most successful ones. Good luck with your other applications - I'm sure something will stick.
    Did you hear back from the Freshfields WG?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Sometimes firms end up having to turn down good candidates.

If you interview 20 candidates and they are all amazing, but only have 10 jobs, you will be turning down people due to very slim margins, and often things that seem so small it’s difficult to give feedback to candidates on them as we don’t want them to think that it was a major issue.

Not helpful I know, but something these decisions are not easy to make.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.