Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
On the CC debacle, as both an old(er) and foreign applicant I know just how hard this process can be and that firms throwing up even more barriers is frustrating.

But please...

View attachment 2652
It's fine - I am used to a lot worse after my TSR days.

TR17

Star Member
Jul 3, 2020
For what it's worth they apparently look at things quite holistically and WG isn't necessarily a make-or-break. There's a dedicated Links thread from the 2019-20 cycle that's still active, it's mentioned there that offers have been given to people who were in 20th percentile on WG while people in 90th plus got a PFO.
Aaah no way! That’s really interesting. I’ll defo have a look at it. Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
TSR is that bad? Excuse my ignorance but I thought it was just people saying "I have 187477 A*s and the Queen is my best friend, will I get into Oxbridge?"

Well let's just say at one point I nearly made a report to the police.

I haven't been on there for over 18 months now, so don't know if it is as bad as it once was. Was the joys of a combination of anonymity, ego, narrow views and selfishness though - very toxic environment at times.

Which is why I am very glad to be here instead.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    TSR is that bad? Excuse my ignorance but I thought it was just people saying "I have 187477 A*s and the Queen is my best friend, will I get into Oxbridge?"
    All I'll say to that is that ignorance is bliss haha - I've seen some horrendous messages/conversations directed at people on TSR and would go as far as to say that it was some of the worst Cyberbullying I've personally witnessed... for that reason as @Jessica Booker said, I was delighted to find such a welcoming and positive community in TCLA

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Does anyone know if grad recruitment will look at an email that I have sent with my application on it... CVmail being down has made me desperate eek
    They will look at the email, but may just ask you to manually apply anyway. It isn't straight forward for them to upload applications to the system and they need you to click on a whole load of data protection clauses.

Reactions: pleasecanwegetjobs

pleasecanwegetjobs

Star Member
    Premium Member
  • Jan 31, 2021
    They will look at the email, but may just ask you to manually apply anyway. It isn't straight forward for them to upload applications to the system and they need you to click on a whole load of data protection clauses.
    Thank you! Think I may just have to accept that I won't be able to apply to Sidley this year...

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    How do people answer ‘why not investment banking’ in interviews?
    Can't do maths.

In all seriousness I think one thing about corporate law vs other corporate endeavours is about the nature of the role in society and this really comes through in pro bono work. In what other corporate profession are you encouraged to spend a meaningful amount of time every year leveraging your specific experience and skills to help people who can't afford to pay?

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    How do people answer ‘why not investment banking’ in interviews?
    Here's a thread with some possible answers to this very question :)

Reactions: Staples and Rob93

LS12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Apr 22, 2020
    Just wanted to say a massive thank you to the TCLA team and community.

About a week and a bit ago I felt very sorry for myself after a post telephone interview rejection from NRF. However, after seeing the post re last-minute applications, I managed to get three in this week!

Ready for a large glass of wine and an early night but wanted to say a big old thank you to you all.

DanielleM

Standard Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Jan 14, 2020
    Does anyone what the BCLP online test entails?
    Also, I have looked at their website, but it isn't clear what competencies they look for in trainees? Does anyone have more information about this?

Thank you!!

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Well let's just say at one point I nearly made a report to the police.

I haven't been on there for over 18 months now, so don't know if it is as bad as it once was. Was the joys of a combination of anonymity, ego, narrow views and selfishness though - very toxic environment at times.

Which is why I am very glad to be here instead.
    Jesus, I'm so sorry😕 thank you @Jaysen and you for making this such a lovely place for us. And thank you to the wider team!

MJ90

Esteemed Member
  • Jan 9, 2020
    I would recommend Richard Susskinds "Tomorrow's Lawyers" book, as it quite neatly outlines some of the biggest disrupters to legal services providers. It's quite a light read too - you could get through it in probably a day.
    tbf they might not mind too much, one of my friends got a vac scheme w Travers despite leaving/referring to "Freshfields" in his cover letter

Surely not! 😅

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.