2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jean

Star Member
M&A Bootcamp
Aug 15, 2018
Sidley's application portal is back on for anyone applying to them.

Excited Season 6 GIF by The Office

Hele25

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 5, 2021
On a completely random note, can I ask a general question please? :)
I’m looking at my applications/life a bit objectively after I had a quite unpleasant experience with a career adviser on Friday (I won’t mention what they said/who they worked for) but, honestly- do you guys think that the Open University is taken seriously by law firms?

unknownt

Jan 30, 2021
I’m looking at my applications/life a bit objectively after I had a quite unpleasant experience with a career adviser on Friday (I won’t mention what they said/who they worked for) but, honestly- do you guys think that the Open University is taken seriously by law firms?
Keen to know this too. I think it depends on the firm's hiring, you can tell which firms target Russell Group and Oxbridge students. If you want to apply for one of these firms, I would suggest reconsidering the university but that's all based off of my personal judgement.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
The main thing that holds open university candidates back is not that they studied at the open university, but more their academics more generally. They are much more likely to not meet A-level grade criteria.

They also tend to not have the extra curricular activities too, where they are generally working full time.

But if they submit a good application, they can be recruited. I have done so in the past.

Phoenix for all

Distinguished Member
  • Feb 13, 2020
    I'd try it again this evening, and if you still can't get in, then contact the firm and say it was down for at least X-Y time, and that you could only do it at the weekend due to work commitments.
    Thanks Jessica! The server is back again just now and I checked my email and realized deadline is actually tomorrow instead of today, so I just wrote an email to GR explaining the server issue and said I will do it tomorrow (didn't ask for extension as I worry that it will reflect poorly on me) Gutted that I will have to do the VI and tests in a suboptimal condition (after 10+ hour of work) which most likely will affect my performance, but I am conscious that I am probably not the only one doing application while keeping up with other commitments and should just be grateful that I don't need to miss the deadline...

layla rose

Legendary Member
  • Nov 27, 2020
    Thanks Jessica! The server is back again just now and I checked my email and realized deadline is actually tomorrow instead of today, so I just wrote an email to GR explaining the server issue and said I will do it tomorrow (didn't ask for extension as I worry that it will reflect poorly on me) Gutted that I will have to do the VI and tests in a suboptimal condition (after 10+ hour of work) which most likely will affect my performance, but I am conscious that I am probably not the only one doing application while keeping up with other commitments and should just be grateful that I don't need to miss the deadline...
    You can do it! Take a power nap before sitting your VI/tests, have an espresso and you’ll be good to go !

Reactions: Phoenix for all

Kola

Legendary Member
    Sep 27, 2020
    Congrats to everyone who submitted last minute applications. Pretty sure the deadline for about 99% of firms has passed now. The only firm on my radar that hasn't closed is Gibson Dunn. Are there any other notable firms in London offering VS that are still open?

Reactions: MzM and Asil Ahmad

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Congrats to everyone who submitted last minute applications. Pretty sure the deadline for about 99% of firms has passed now. The only firm on my radar that hasn't closed is Gibson Dunn. Are there any other notable firms in London offering VS that are still open?
    Womble Bond Dickinson and Reed Smith still have their vacation scheme applications open

bibss

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 28, 2020
    Can anyone confirm: If there is a tick beside "candidate review" on the Linklaters portal, does it mean you passed the tests and the application?

View attachment 2653
    I am afraid it doesn't mean anything. It's just the way the portal is formatted. I've had the tick from the very moment I completed my tests

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.