2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
I don't know what possesses them to have a 7 question app, just making more work for themselves
Yeah, it was the longest application that I had this year. I feel like some of the competency questions could really have been combined. It's strange too because I think the next stage is a video interview? In which case, could they not have asked these questions then?

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
Feb 16, 2019
Hi!

I have a virtual interview with a US firm coming up as part of an AC and had a few Q's

1) How would a blurred background look? Would it be seen as unprofessional/weird

2) If a firm asks for a commercial topic, is it better to talk about something that I am genuinely interested in rather than tailor a news story to their key departments ?

Reactions: LS12

Staples

Legendary Member
  • Sep 11, 2020
    Yeah, it was the longest application that I had this year. I feel like some of the competency questions could really have been combined. It's strange too because I think the next stage is a video interview? In which case, could they not have asked these questions then?
    The longest app for me as well. I kind of had the impression that they couldn’t decide whether they wanted to go for a strengths-based or competency-based app form, so they were like...
    Why Dont We Have Both GIF

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    The longest app for me as well. I kind of had the impression that they couldn’t decide whether they wanted to go for a strengths-based or competency-based app form, so they were like...
    Why Dont We Have Both GIF
    Last year I ended up not applying. I prepared the answers in a word document but when I came to upload them (20mins before the deadline) I realised that there were another two questions on a separate page which I had not answered. Some lessons you learn the hard way!

HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 1, 2020
    I didn’t apply for IM because I got half way through checking out their form and decided that life is too short, I don’t like them enough to do all that 😄 so I suppose it works at filtering out people who don’t love the firm?

But TBH I feel that I have less respect for a firm when it feels like they are just wasting applicants’ time. I’m sure if I were a non-final year undergrad I’d be up for it but alongside work too it’s just a bit much. To be clear, issue is not doing lots of work—it’s feeling like your time is not being respected.

But maybe just me!

sabma

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 22, 2018
    Hi!

I have a virtual interview with a US firm coming up as part of an AC and had a few Q's

1) How would a blurred background look? Would it be seen as unprofessional/weird

2) If a firm asks for a commercial topic, is it better to talk about something that I am genuinely interested in rather than tailor a news story to their key departments ?

Hi!

1) I've had some firms explicitly say they don't care about the background. Other firms such as White & Case write on their website in a lot of detail about having a good clean background (had to take down my beloved posters). So, I think it's up to the firm. I would go for blurred if your background is not plain as A. it's better to be safe than sorry B. less distractions for the interview = more focus on you.

2) A bit of both. I think naturally you should be able to find something that you are genuinely interested in AND tailors to their key departments since if you are doing an AC for the firm, you should be interested in their key departments. It might be harder to find a crossover but I'd strive to find something. If you can't then I'd go for tailoring it to their key departments and then try and come up with quite a few reasons why it could be interesting and fake it till you make it - but that's obviously risky, they could see right through you.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.