2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricky

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Sep 16, 2018
Really stuck at what news story to talk about if I'm asked in my AC. Has anyone got any ideas? TIA! x
Ideally needs to be something that you have been perhaps following in the news so that you can talk about the wider context, any associated trends, its impact on business and clients etc. It is no good just picking a news story on the day of the AC. Start reading Watson Daily, FT, Finimize etc etc and get a feel for what is going on and see what interests you.

Reactions: ab01 and cmaj

Veep9

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    Interesting they told you not to do it when I was the one who had to tell them in November. They seemed pretty sure I would be fine but I was like... no.

And no, haven't heard from them.

omg, wait, so people actually got to skip Arctic Shores for their disability?? I have a disability relating to my hands and the only thing they gave me when I told them about it was 20% extra time (when the whole game is untimed)!!!!!!!!
    I said I have a disability that means I can only use one hand and they said that doing the game would disadvantage me so don’t do it, and they would get in touch re next steps at a future date.

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    From personal experience, I think so. Last year I had an AC with a firm which they began by telling us they had reduced the number of TCs available for the particular stream I applied for (its a firm that divides into personal/ business TC (hint)). When someone asked how many seats were available they said they were not allowed to say (?!). I didn't see anyone get a TC at the firm for the particular stream I applied for (in that office). Incredibly frustrating.
    Without naming the firm (😉) which stream and office was this?

• Haha
    Reactions: collie_121

leolegal

Distinguished Member
    Dec 23, 2020
    Ideally needs to be something that you have been perhaps following in the news so that you can talk about the wider context, any associated trends, its impact on business and clients etc. It is no good just picking a news story on the day of the AC. Start reading Watson Daily, FT, Finimize etc etc and get a feel for what is going on and see what interests you.
    To add to this I've also recently signed up to the Legit newsletter and it's a good starting place for stories you can do more research on

LS12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Apr 22, 2020
    Really stuck at what news story to talk about if I'm asked in my AC. Has anyone got any ideas? TIA! x
    depends on the practice areas and sector focus of the firm

Personally I think the news right now has a lot to look at my top picks would be:
    • Gamestop - from the angle of - are we seeing online 'protesting' organised on social media platforms and what does this mean for large corporations
    • Shortage of chips affecting the production lines of lots of goods - Samsung's saying this could affect smartphones -
    • Death of the high street - does the acquisition of key high street names by companies like Boohoo and Asos create opportunities for companies post pandemic when people are able to leave their homes again?

I would also keep an eye on all things sustainable - 2050 is coming quick and companies are starting to feel pressure re becoming carbon neutral - try linking this to the recent case against Shell

Alisha S

Star Member
  • Jan 21, 2021
    Just did the Ashurst test. In the tests that were comparable to a wider group, my results were higher than 55% of others who took the test. I hear that you should really be hitting 70%+ to be considered for interview... Therefore, I am now definitely not too hopeful for an interview invitation!!
    I got similar! Around 60%, it did seem middle-ish to me, but we'll have to see

Reactions: MizM

Han.louise

Distinguished Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    May 28, 2020
    depends on the practice areas and sector focus of the firm

Personally I think the news right now has a lot to look at my top picks would be:
    • Gamestop - from the angle of - are we seeing online 'protesting' organised on social media platforms and what does this mean for large corporations
    • Shortage of chips affecting the production lines of lots of goods - Samsung's saying this could affect smartphones -
    • Death of the high street - does the acquisition of key high street names by companies like Boohoo and Asos create opportunities for companies post pandemic when people are able to leave their homes again?

I would also keep an eye on all things sustainable - 2050 is coming quick and companies are starting to feel pressure re becoming carbon neutral - try linking this to the recent case against Shell
    Thanks so much. I'm interested in the energy and transport sector so I'm going to read around that!

MW110601

Star Member
    Aug 31, 2020
    Okay guys... not to put pressure on or anything.... but pls dm me if any of your bad experiences or lack of tc offers were with DLA Piper LOL
    Interesting that so many have had bad experiences with DLA this year. My experience with them has been great and I don't have anything to complain about from each stage I went through. I do understand the frustration with the Gmail accounts though and the fact some have been waiting ages!

Reactions: Andrew M and cmaj

cmaj

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019
    Interesting that so many have had bad experiences with DLA this year. My experience with them has been great and I don't have anything to complain about from each stage I went through. I do understand the frustration with the Gmail accounts though and the fact some have been waiting ages!
    Me neither, I think they're fab!

Reactions: MW110601

layla rose

Legendary Member
  • Nov 27, 2020
    Hi guys. Quite possibly a very stupid Q but if an interview is “commercial awareness” based, could they ask about literally anything going on in the wider world or will I be driving the direction of the interview? Because my knowledge of some areas/key trends are stronger than others. What level of technical knowledge is expected? Sorry to be dumb, but I’ve no clue what to expect. Thanks :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.