2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayC

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer
Jan 8, 2021
By the way for anyone worrying about Reed Smith eligibility, I got a reply from them literally saying that they don't really pay attention to their eligibility requirements for each scheme! Also I got another e-mail from them just now saying they are *still* reviewing my research questions for the Spring Scheme - got an e-mail like that two weeks ago, not sure what this means.

jan28

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 12, 2019
Vac scheme offer from Baker McKenzie!! Second vac scheme offer this cycle (humble flex).

Little motivation for anyone who has had an AC that they thought went horribly, here's how mine went:

1) Document review exercise-I didn't finish it, I got to page 8 of 10 and ran out of time.
2) Associate interview-I was expecting standard competency questions but I wasn't asked a single standard competency question, instead, I got questions like 'how does politics impact law and business' (how tf do you even answer that?)
3) Group exercise-my wifi cut and so I was out for 10 minutes and struggled to catch up when I rejoined which meant I said about 5 things in 30 minutes.
4) case study interview-I didn't have a SCOOBY what 2 of the questions were about, the partners were asking me about foreign investment regimes and sanctions??? wtf is that??

Safe to say I have been preparing for a rejection since, but it never came.

Here is my theory: If you have got to the interview stage or AC then they already know you're smart, so I think the key is likeability. For example, the first 30 minutes of my partner interview where the partners were basically speaking mandarin, didn't go well, but the second 30 minutes was just questions about my app, and the partners and I were laughing and joking and bouncing off each other the entire time (same goes for my associate interview). So, above all, it's important to show that you are likable and someone that they would enjoy working with and someone they're confident will interact with clients well.

So my unsolicited advice is: show them that you are a nice person, smile, laugh and speak with conviction. If you have got to the interview stage/AC then my friend, you are the shit, because you have beat off soooo many candidates to get there, so let that energy and confidence shine!

Good luck everyone!
absolutely love this energy and you clearly clearly deserve it - congrats!!!!

Matt_96

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    is anyone still waiting for the following:

Mayer Brown (post TI)
    Addleshaw Goddard (post app)
    Links (post tests)
    BCLP (post test)
    Macfarlanes (post app)
    Yes, I'm still waiting on BCLP and AG. I think my apps were rubbish though having looked through them again more recently so I'm expecting a PFO. Links is already making Summer VS offers. I have a friend who has just gotten one.

Last edited:
    • 🤝
    Reactions: cryingoverTCs

M&ALawyer

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Jul 29, 2019
    A frequent question I have been asked in interviews is "why didn't you convert your vacation schemes" or "what was your feedback from your past vacation schemes"?

I find it a bit challenging to answer this question. On the one hand, its a good chance to bring in the positives + negatives from the vac schemes which led you to apply to X firm who is interviewing you (which you can portray as being a better fit for you than firms you had vac schemes at).

However, equally I think it becomes a bit disingenuous if you portray failed vac schemes as a positive. Also its a thin line between saying negative things about a firm you had a vac scheme at and valid reasons .

My answers tend to be along the lines of
    - "I like X practice area and work from the [Vac scheme firm], but did not feel a cultural fit (too competitive/not collaborative)... having spoken to person A at the firm, I feel that the culture is aligned to my own interests and I would be exposed to [whatever work I like]"
    - "I felt the the training contract programmes of [vac scheme firm] was not structured enough for me, in comparison to [firm applying to] which has XYZ programmes and awards – which I like because of ABC "
    - "Did not see long term career trajectory at [vac scheme firm], which as someone who is quite ambitious I found quite frustrating... [firm applying to] has had strong growth recently, provides trainees with early responsibility, and I see future potential which I find really attractive".

Whilst the answers I give are true, there are other factors at play like not performing well at a group interview or final interview in the VS final AC.

Is the way I am approaching it valid or should I be a bit more critical of my performance on the vac scheme rather than saying how I wasn't a good fit for the firms I vac schemed at? Any feedback would be really appreciated!

Thanks

Legalmel_99

Legendary Member
    Jan 16, 2021
    Vac scheme offer from Baker McKenzie!! Second vac scheme offer this cycle (humble flex).

Little motivation for anyone who has had an AC that they thought went horribly, here's how mine went:

1) Document review exercise-I didn't finish it, I got to page 8 of 10 and ran out of time.
    2) Associate interview-I was expecting standard competency questions but I wasn't asked a single standard competency question, instead, I got questions like 'how does politics impact law and business' (how tf do you even answer that?)
    3) Group exercise-my wifi cut and so I was out for 10 minutes and struggled to catch up when I rejoined which meant I said about 5 things in 30 minutes.
    4) case study interview-I didn't have a SCOOBY what 2 of the questions were about, the partners were asking me about foreign investment regimes and sanctions??? wtf is that??

Here is my theory: If you have got to the interview stage or AC then they already know you're smart, so I think the key is likeability. For example, the first 30 minutes of my partner interview where the partners were basically speaking mandarin, didn't go well, but the second 30 minutes was just questions about my app, and the partners and I were laughing and joking and bouncing off each other the entire time (same goes for my associate interview). So, above all, it's important to show that you are likable and someone that they would enjoy working with and someone they're confident will interact with clients well.

So my unsolicited advice is: show them that you are a nice person, smile, laugh and speak with conviction. If you have got to the interview stage/AC then my friend, you are the shit, because you have beat off soooo many candidates to get there, so let that energy and confidence shine!

Good luck everyone!
    Congratulations and Thankyou for the insight you’ve motivated me to stay positive

• Love
    Reactions: Sekani Wraith

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    I have been absent for a while..this lockdown is driving me insane!!o_O:rolleyes::eek:

Re. Reed Smith: last month they sent an email informing me that I passed the test and they would send me the research questions at the end of the month...Silence!

Re. Travers: they are notoriously slow AF..I am not even bothered to write them..they will probably send me an email in August when (hopefully) my broke ass will be vaccinated and on a yacht in Capri!

Re topics for AC: I am not following the news massively. After competing on the Aspiring solicitors Commercial awareness finals..I blocked news websites and cancelled my daily podcasts. I know that i should not do it..but this girl was about to have a mental breakdown!

Anywayyyyy, I would talk about Moonping IPO which shows how internet based companies are having a blast during this pandemic. You could connect this your knowledge of IPO market during 2020/21, or how other internet firms are on a shopping spree Asos or Bohoo ..you could show your knowledge of the retail sector, insolvency & restructure!

So tired guys!!

Staples

Legendary Member
  • Sep 11, 2020
    Has anyone received a rejection from Penningtons? I’ve heard absolutely nothing from them, but have read here (and on LinkedIn) that some have already had their AC with them. Should I assume silent PFO?

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    I'm so confused by Addleshaw Goddard.. I assumed they were sending out VI invites/PFOs in batches but it's been almost 2 weeks now?? Maybe I'm just impatient hahaha

I'm starting to think that they might be doing other offices outside of London first because I'd imagine it gets the most applicants. This is just conjecture on my part though.

ab01

Star Member
  • Jan 23, 2021

Good luck everyone!
    Wow this is such amazing advice!! Well done - you smashed it friend :)

• Love
    Reactions: Sekani Wraith

SamTam99

Legendary Member
    Jan 5, 2021
    I'm so confused by Addleshaw Goddard.. I assumed they were sending out VI invites/PFOs in batches but it's been almost 2 weeks now?? Maybe I'm just impatient hahaha
    Same here, still haven’t heard anything from the London office. Honestly finding it so so bizarre because AC’s have been conducted already so it’s strange that there’s a bunch of us still waiting to hear back about initial applications.

I emailed Grad Rec on Friday just to check because I applied so so long ago now (November 26th) and they’ve not replied to me. Don’t know what to make of it all to be honest!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.