2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

M0723

Valued Member
  • Jan 19, 2020
    Got two PFOs today and at this point, I'm just very grateful to have progressed into the test and interview stage especially with it being my first official application cycle! Although disappointing, it really provides me with crucial experience for the next (and hopefully last) application cycle! On that note, I was just wondering what are the plans (or were) for third-year international students who are desperately on that visa time crunch! Would love to hear about your experiences :)
    Plans? Probably desperately apply for direct TC and pray hard hahaha.....

Reactions: 21wajsz and ab01

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020
    Got two PFOs today and at this point, I'm just very grateful to have progressed into the test and interview stage especially with it being my first official application cycle! Although disappointing, it really provides me with crucial experience for the next (and hopefully last) application cycle! On that note, I was just wondering what are the plans (or were) for third-year international students who are desperately on that visa time crunch! Would love to hear about your experiences :)
    Finding a plan B you can live with, either back home or in the UK.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Maculay and M0723

marmd99

Standard Member
    Feb 5, 2021
    Anyone heard back from W&C post VI? Did it Wednesday evening and not too optimistic :/
    Hey! I'm a first-year student, and I was wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing the questions / the type of questions that came up during your interview? I know that it's super early for me to be thinking about this, but as an international student I really haven't got a clue what UK firms ask here...you'd just go in for a face to face interview in my country, and that'd be it. Thank you!

FM302989

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020
    Omg I applaud your resilience to write 13 apps!! I only managed 10 and felt *exhausted*

I don't recommend it! However, every app has been tailored, I've been in contact with staff at the firms I've applied to and I've tried to draft each of them with care.

I work full-time as a Paralegal, I'm an LPC grad, had one Vac Scheme cancelled last year and my other Vacation Scheme decided not to offer any TCs at all. I just want to work as hard as I can to make an opportunity for myself despite life throwing as many hurdles and obstacles as possible at me.

Everyone here is going through their own journey so whenever I see someone announce a W, I'm absolutely delighted!

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    I don't recommend it! However, every app has been tailored, I've been in contact with staff at the firms I've applied to and I've tried to draft each of them with care.

I work full-time as a Paralegal, I'm an LPC grad, had one Vac Scheme cancelled last year and my other Vacation Scheme decided not to offer any TCs at all. I just want to work as hard as I can to make an opportunity for myself despite life throwing as many hurdles and obstacles as possible at me.

Everyone here is going through their own journey so whenever I see someone announce a W, I'm absolutely delighted!
    Definitely true! I’m working full-time and a key worker so it’s definitely a struggle to get apps and tests done or even just making time to go to events!!

Amazing to hear you did and I’m sorry that they cancelled their TC/VS got cancelled but again it just highlights your resilience!

Yes I completely agree and I wish you the best luck with the rest of the application season! If you got two VS’s last year you will do amazingly this year too!!

Reactions: FM302989 and OB

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Hey! I'm a first-year student, and I was wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing the questions / the type of questions that came up during your interview? I know that it's super early for me to be thinking about this, but as an international student I really haven't got a clue what UK firms ask here...you'd just go in for a face to face interview in my country, and that'd be it. Thank you!
    Hi, I love your energy and enthusiasm, however you are not really meant (and actually prohibited at some firms) to share the VI/test questions online as it gives some applicants an advantage over others.

Though, to help you have an idea, I think @Jacob Miller may know some threads!

Gracey

Standard Member
    Dec 19, 2020
    surprisingly no :) although i do think all magic circles will have similar criteria in terms of academics
    Really? I’m surprised to hear that because I actually got two 2.2s and have been accepted on to schemes and/or progressed to the next application stage with all magic circle firms (except Slaughters which I never applied for) so I wouldn’t let that comment put you off because I’m living proof that it’s not true

JayC

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 8, 2021
    I completed my Willkie Video Interview today and had to face a bizarre technical glitch, where the 30-second preparation time ran simultaneously with the 90-second answer time on two of the four questions, giving me less than a minute to answer on those questions. Needless to say, I was thrown on the first question where this happened and it was not my most eloquent answer...
    Should I e-mail grad rec about this?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.