Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I completed my Willkie Video Interview today and had to face a bizarre technical glitch, where the 30-second preparation time ran simultaneously with the 90-second answer time on two of the four questions, giving me less than a minute to answer on those questions. Needless to say, I was thrown on the first question where this happened and it was not my most eloquent answer...
Should I e-mail grad rec about this?

Yes - flag it to them just in case it hasn’t recorded properly

frow3n

Distinguished Member
Aug 19, 2019
I completed my Willkie Video Interview today and had to face a bizarre technical glitch, where the 30-second preparation time ran simultaneously with the 90-second answer time on two of the four questions, giving me less than a minute to answer on those questions. Needless to say, I was thrown on the first question where this happened and it was not my most eloquent answer...
Should I e-mail grad rec about this?
Hey, I had this too - as Jessica said you should email Grad Rec - they'll get it resolved for you // you'll be able to re-record the answers that were affected.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hi, I love your energy and enthusiasm, however you are not really meant (and actually prohibited at some firms) to share the VI/test questions online as it gives some applicants an advantage over others.

Though, to help you have an idea, I think @Jacob Miller may know some threads!
    Thanks @Celestie!

Hey! I'm a first-year student, and I was wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing the questions / the type of questions that came up during your interview? I know that it's super early for me to be thinking about this, but as an international student I really haven't got a clue what UK firms ask here...you'd just go in for a face to face interview in my country, and that'd be it. Thank you!
    I would recommend my recent articles on different common components of Assessment Centres (interview days) here in the UK. While they're not representative of every person's experience at every firm, they take a broad-brush look at different components that frequently pop up:

You might also want to check out the Intervoew Experiences forum which covers a variety of first-hand experiences at different firms:

Hope these help!

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hi!
    What is meant by an exercise on a shareholders' agreement? Is it similar to M&A case studies?
    A shareholders' agreement is a private contract between the shareholders of a company pertaining to different elements of how the company should be operated as well as individual shareholders' rights and obligations and different share class' rights.

They are voluntary, i.e. not every company has one, and are ancillary to the articles of association. They also outrank Articles of Association where there is a superiority clause. The main advantage to this is that the agreements are private, where a company's articles are made public. This means that shareholders can withhold sensitive information regarding the company's internal running from the public without running into major legal issues.

If you were doing an M&A based case study and there was discussion of a Shareholders' Agreement, it would be imperative to obtain this in the DD process in case it varied any of the information which is freely available as this could change a potential buyer or seller's legal position.

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Got two PFOs today and at this point, I'm just very grateful to have progressed into the test and interview stage especially with it being my first official application cycle! Although disappointing, it really provides me with crucial experience for the next (and hopefully last) application cycle! On that note, I was just wondering what are the plans (or were) for third-year international students who are desperately on that visa time crunch! Would love to hear about your experiences :)

Look into the new graduate work visa, it gives you two years after you finish your degree to... work. Should be available to anyone graduating summer 2021 onwards. If nothing pans out in terms of TCs this cycle, best bet is to stay in the country and pick up legal work experience and just keep at it.

Reactions: 21wajsz

I.Like.UFOs.Not.PFOs

Esteemed Member
    Jan 6, 2021
    Hi! I was wondering if I could confirm with anyone else that regarding Reed Smith's initial application form for their summer 2021 vacation scheme, are there only two application questions? One about prizes and one about personal interests? I get that other questions (like motivation to pursue law etc.) may come at a later stage, but I am just a little thrown off as I have never seen such a simple application form 😂

33c

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Aug 8, 2020
    Does anyone know what Kirkland's Vac Scheme dates are for 2021? Couldn't find info anywhere.
    I spoke to grad rec fairly recently and apparently they haven't been finalised. Lauren said they were hoping to hold them in person so probably why the dates aren't clear yet. hope this helps!

Reactions: Jane and SF1234

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Hi! I was wondering if I could confirm with anyone else that regarding Reed Smith's initial application form for their summer 2021 vacation scheme, are there only two application questions? One about prizes and one about personal interests? I get that other questions (like motivation to pursue law etc.) may come at a later stage, but I am just a little thrown off as I have never seen such a simple application form 😂
    Its just an initial screening before they send you their research questions

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.