• Applications for Shearman & Sterling's vacation schemes are now open! Apply now.
  • Applications for Willkie Farr & Gallagher's vacation schemes close on the 20th December. Apply now!

2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

AspiringLawyer112

Esteemed Member
Jan 3, 2021
It would probably mean end of day Saturday but I would personally try to have a good look through everything long before then in case you notice any issues/ need advice and can't access anyone over the weekend.
Thank you! I have started it today but just wanted to know how much time I had (I work full-time so it’s hard)

I agree, I’m hoping to complete it today and review tomorrow morning

JoeF

Star Member
Dec 23, 2020
As someone who is impatient to get a job too, something you should consider is just applying for 2023 TCs and just asking if they will let you start sooner. I was speaking to a recruiter at interview about this recently and apparently it's not uncommon for one or two trainees every cycle to want to defer their TC for a year after receiving it.

But ultimately, it depends on the firm. The worst thing they can do is say no and you have to paralegal for a bit. Could be a good opportunity to experience a different practice area anyway.
Thanks! That is actually very helpful, haven't thought about it. I have been applying for both 2022 and 2023, but as you say, am bit impatient and would want to start asap

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Oh wow - snap. Also doing my diss - though my laptop refuses to work. What's yours on?
    excited how i met your mother GIF
    Position of tort creditors in corporate insolvency, essentially breaking down the issues with the current common law protections and going on to suggest a new (and original, afaik) statutory regime.

Anya B

Distinguished Member
    Jan 28, 2021
    I emailed a local firm in Sixth Form to enquire about getting some work experience/shadowing. They emailed back "I'm very sorry to say that the only solicitor in our team who can accommodate you during that week is David. You're very welcome to join him but he's a bit of a dull arsehole. Yours respectfully, David". He was the most lovely human being I've ever met and a truly incredible lawyer.
    This is absolutely brilliant! Thanks for sharing, really made me smile :)

• ✅
    Reactions: Daniel Boden

Haz

Legendary Member
  • Dec 28, 2020
    Guys, if I received the email on Tuesday and need to send an answer within 5 days. Does it mean I have until Sunday or Saturday? @Jessica Booker could I please have your opinion?
    Definitely Sunday. For the spring scheme; I received mine on a Monday at 10:30am, sent them back Saturday 12:30am (just under 5 days) and got moved to the next stage :)

Reactions: Adrian_S

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Sounds thrilling mate haha
    OMG I love corporate insolvency I am doing it now best thing about company law and law school just saying.
    Fortunately I got to skip the dissy for my law degree a couple years back. Doesn't sound like a fun 10 months of your year
    Haha I'm going to sound like a huuuuge nerd but I'm genuinely really enjoying it and find the subject massively interesting! Doesn't feel super daunting because I really enjoy it.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Haha I'm going to sound like a huuuuge nerd but I'm genuinely really enjoying it and find the subject massively interesting! Doesn't feel super daunting because I really enjoy it.
    Haha in all seriousness I can tell you from experience that that's the key with any dissertation! Find something you're genuinely really interested in and then the research/reading is so much more bareable and the high marks will follow! Sure you'll do great mate :D

Apply to Shearman & Sterling's vacation schemes by 16 January 2022!
    Want to work for a global elite law firm? Shearman & Sterling's vacation schemes will see you experience two diverse practice groups (one each week), with your personal preferences catered to.

The scheme aims to mirror the Training Contract in that everyone will experience at least one of the firm's core transactional groups (M&A, Finance and Project Development & Finance) as well as being allocated a mentor and supervisor to provide advice and support, answer any questions and most importantly – provide you with some work!

Apply by 16 January 2022!
    Status
    Not open for further replies.