Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
In general, when are referees contacted? I'm assuming it varies from firm to firm but is the norm for contact to be made after an offer is made?

There is no set rule on this. Some firms contact referees once they invite people to the final stage of their recruitment process so they know they have the reference before they make the person the offer.

Look at the language used to gather your reference information when you apply. You have to declare you are happy for references to be contacted, so if you have ticked a box to say that's ok, your references could be contacted at any point.

If you haven't done this, then the firm has to contact you to let you know they will be contacting references and to get your permission to do this.

Reactions: Kubed

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Yes, it's normally only after the firm have made you an offer as it would be quite tedious for a firm to contact every referee of every person that applies!
Some firms will do it once they know they are interviewing someone. They don't want to be in a position where they offer someone and then have to retract it on the basis of something that's written in their reference.

Reactions: GK8997, Bonolaw and Kubed

Kubed

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020
    There is no set rule on this. Some firms contact referees once they invite people to the final stage of their recruitment process so they know they have the reference before they make the person the offer.

Look at the language used to gather your reference information when you apply. You have to declare you are happy for references to be contacted, so if you have ticked a box to say that's ok, your references could be contacted at any point.

If you haven't done this, then the firm has to contact you to let you know they will be contacting references and to get your permission to do this.
    Thanks, useful to know!

LegalNim

Legendary Member
    Nov 14, 2019
    Some firms will do it once they know they are interviewing someone. They don't want to be in a position where they offer someone and then have to retract it on the basis of something that's written in their reference.
    Do you know what firms tend to ask referees? Is it checking what we've submitted on the form is correct? or do they have to write about us? If they don't write much or write well then do you think we'll be penalised? My professional referee is an engineer and isn't so much with the words haha.

Shannon Balnaves

Standard Member
    Mar 6, 2019
    So, I had an interview in middle of December and was told I would be contacted in Jan. Its now the middle of February... in general, is it appropriate to contact firms and ask about when you will be contacted? I dont want to seem impatient or anything, but getting more anxious by the day! Thanks all :)

Reactions: AW_08 and FM302989

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    So, I had an interview in middle of December and was told I would be contacted in Jan. Its now the middle of February... in general, is it appropriate to contact firms and ask about when you will be contacted? I dont want to seem impatient or anything, but getting more anxious by the day! Thanks all :)
    Definitely contact. People do it all the time and waiting that long post interview I don’t blame you for being anxious!

CareerChanger

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 5, 2021
    me receiving an invite for Arctic shores from TV having seen how much everyone on here thinks it’s a terrible measure
    Looking Forward To It Cynthia Erivo GIF by The Academy Awards

AH97

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 30, 2019
    Guys is it worth emailing MB given I did my tests on 29th December and still haven't heard back? I've heard they haven't really replied to emails either

I'm in the exact same position! I emailed them yesterday and they responded today saying:

"We have received a vast number of applications this year which has resulted in us taking a little longer than usual to get back to you with an update. We will get back to you with an outcome as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience."

I think that they must be swamped!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: cryingoverTCs

AH97

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 30, 2019

I know it will vary, but what kind of general things in a reference could result in the offer being retracted?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Do you know what firms tend to ask referees? Is it checking what we've submitted on the form is correct? or do they have to write about us? If they don't write much or write well then do you think we'll be penalised? My professional referee is an engineer and isn't so much with the words haha.
    Some firms will ask for quite significant feedback on a candidate from main referees. But it is very much up to the referee what they respond with. Many employers and academic institutions have a standardised policy to only provide factual information (e.g. employment dates, job title, grades achieved etc).

As a candidate, you won't be penalised if a referee doesn't provide more substantial detail. You may need to provide a subsequent referee who is willing to provide a character reference for you though. This happens with me a lot, even now as someone who is self-employed, and I have a university friend who is in a job that is deemed reputable enough and in a regaulated industry who has provided a character reference for me when my factual references haven't provided insight into my "character".

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Jacob Miller

layk

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 16, 2019
    Not a word! I think some people have been invited to interview but I applied 2 days before the deadline and haven’t heard anything since. When did you apply if you don’t mind me asking?
    I applied around two weeks before the deadline! I'm wondering if it's a PFO or if they've just had an influx of applications :/ Although when I applied last year and got through to interview, it only took them two weeks to get back to me so I wonder if that's anything to go by.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.