2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staples

Legendary Member
  • Sep 11, 2020
    The SQE is supposed to open up job opportunities though, so many the job market will become less competitive as there isn't a bottle neck at the TC stage.

TCs will still exist, they are just being rebranded under the SQE label
    This sounds very optimistic - am I right in thinking there’s no requirement for SQE-era QWE to be paid? It will be interesting to see how big a share of QWE (on average) ends up being unpaid experience (eg law clinics)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    This sounds very optimistic - am I right in thinking there’s no requirement for SQE-era QWE to be paid? It will be interesting to see how big a share of QWE (on average) ends up being unpaid experience (eg law clinics)
    Not having to make a two year commitment will open up opportunities. Thats the biggest issue with the current system. Lots of firm tred carefully or just get fixed term contract paralegals in when needed because you can't predict what you need 4-5 years in advance.

Yes - one of my biggest issues with the SQE is it encourages unpaid work.

Law firms won't see law clinic work as QWE even if the SRA does though.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: NSinger and Staples

Etudierlaw2022

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 10, 2021
    Hi guys I have quite a specific question - i live in quite a rough house and all the walls of my house look pretty bad and are either brick or peeling wallpaper so it looks really unprofessional in video interviews. Do you think I should email graduate recruitment to tell them that the bad background isn’t through a lack of caring or should I just leave it?
    I've seen people in ACs and vac schemes have a pre selected background on zoom, and it's been totally fine. Some students even put a generic photo of the city to which they were applying in as their background which sparked some conversation, so I think it would be okay to do something like that. I think recruiters are aware that not everyone's living background is ideal for interview!

FM302989

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020
    Hi guys I have quite a specific question - i live in quite a rough house and all the walls of my house look pretty bad and are either brick or peeling wallpaper so it looks really unprofessional in video interviews. Do you think I should email graduate recruitment to tell them that the bad background isn’t through a lack of caring or should I just leave it?
    Ngl I have this same problem as I've just moved into a new flat. Currently don't have a desk either

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker if 2021 is the final year that a firm allows their trainees to do the LPC, and said trainee is due to start the TC in 2023, would they want that trainee to do the LPC 2021-22 and then have a year off before the TC or is it normal practice for firms to want their trainees to do the LPC in the year before the TC starts and therefore in this scenario they'd instead want you doing the SQE?

I would expect them to put you in the SQE cohort starting in 2022 and for you to have your gap year before hand

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Haz

Staples

Legendary Member
  • Sep 11, 2020
    Yes - one of my biggest issues with the SQE is it encourages unpaid work.

Law firms won't see law clinic work as QWE even if the SRA does though.
    What worries me is that I come from a country (Italy) where the overwhelming majority of law grads earn little or even no money during their ‘praticantato’ (in short the Italian equivalent of a TC). I hope the UK doesn’t ever go down that path

FM302989

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020
    I feel your pain. I had to buy a desk for the sole purpose of a VS
    Even a simple desk is essential. Now I've just gotta wait a week for a desk to arrive I ordered elsewhere.

Had to cancel an IKEA delivery after they said must would arrive 6-7 weeks' time (y'all don't order from IKEA, their customer service is two pack of a$$).

• Sad
    Reactions: OB

JayC

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 8, 2021
    I would expect them to put you in the SQE cohort starting in 2022 and for you to have your gap year before hand
    Are all of us applying for 2023 TCs right now going to be doing the SQE then? And will the firms sort everything out for us in terms of prep courses etc or is it literally just on us to pass the exam now? Forgive me for not having followed this development closely enough

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Are all of us applying for 2023 TCs right now going to be doing the SQE then? And will the firms sort everything out for us in terms of prep courses etc or is it literally just on us to pass the exam now? Forgive me for not having followed this development closely enough
    No. A lot of firms are not moving to the SQE until 2024 as far as I am aware.

Firms who sponsor the LPC will provide an equivalent sponsorship for the SQE, depending on how they are preferring to train people. Some people are learning on the job, some people are only doing SQE1 before a TC, some firms are saying you have to pass SQE 1 and 2 before starting a TC.

Maculay

Jan 31, 2020
    Try to find out if you will be using MS Teams or Zoom. If you're using MS Teams you can set up a default background.

Dwight

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2019
    Since CC has been transparent about recruiting this year - I'm talking priority candidates (penultimate year law and final year non-law);

Did anyone who was a non-priority candidate get invited to an AC at CC for the TC?

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    What worries me is that I come from a country (Italy) where the overwhelming majority of law grads earn little or even no money during their ‘praticantato’ (in short the Italian equivalent of a TC). I hope the UK doesn’t ever go down that path
    Hey fellow Italian, yes I have friends who are trainee solicitors and are not paid.

Reactions: Staples
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.