2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ola830

Star Member
Jan 9, 2021
Recession, poor job market, fewer job opportunities, people applying to more roles to hedge their bets.

The accumulation point won't happen for another 18-24 months.
When you talk about an accumulation point, do you mean that things will get even worse in the next year and beyond that in terms of number of applicants and competition for these positions?

Reactions: Nathan Hayes

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
When you talk about an accumulation point, do you mean that things will get even worse in the next year and beyond that in terms of number of applicants and competition for these positions?
Potentially yes. That is what happened for the next few cycles after the GFC recession in 2007/8.

Got back to normal by about 2011/12 though.

I must stress things are very different though this time around. With a much larger contraction of the economy, we could bounce back much quicker.

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
Feb 16, 2019
Did anyone else who got Ashurst AC's receive the new interview booking links(as the initial ones had errors within them?) . I haven't yet, though I'm conscious as my initially booked AC is next week. if anyone has any info, would appreciate it as I'm planning to call grad rec(already emailed a few days ago! :) )

matthew.gold123

Standard Member
Feb 14, 2021
No, nobody's heard back from interviews yet as far as I know!
In terms of turnaround from the WG they actually sent me the WG before the closure of the application deadline because I applied quite early. Then I got the video interview soon after the app deadline (did it a couple weeks ago now)

quick edit: I did hear from the GR team a couple days ago asking me if I could fill out a form that they usually give to people coming to the office in person, but it was all admin stuff and unrelated to the interview
Ah okay - thanks for letting me know and good luck for all your applications!

Emily Kate

Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Oct 26, 2020
Hi guys I have quite a specific question - i live in quite a rough house and all the walls of my house look pretty bad and are either brick or peeling wallpaper so it looks really unprofessional in video interviews. Do you think I should email graduate recruitment to tell them that the bad background isn’t through a lack of caring or should I just leave it?

• 🤝
Reactions: AH97

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Recession, poor job market, fewer job opportunities, people applying to more roles to hedge their bets.

The accumulation point won't happen for another 18-24 months.
    I just realised it is different this time because the SQE law firms are going to be removing the training contract route as I have been told so this will mean more demand for applications right. Sorry, I don't know much about the SQE but that is what I know but I only know this from what Reed Smith said they are removing the training contract from next year due to the SQE.

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    I still haven't heard from BCLP but I'm pretty sure it's gonna go like this
    ouch kick GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

• Haha
    Reactions: OB

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020
    Hi guys I have quite a specific question - i live in quite a rough house and all the walls of my house look pretty bad and are either brick or peeling wallpaper so it looks really unprofessional in video interviews. Do you think I should email graduate recruitment to tell them that the bad background isn’t through a lack of caring or should I just leave it?
    Could you tape a solid coloured sheet to the wall behind you?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Can you pin a bedsheet up or something similar?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I just realised it is different this time because the SQE law firms are going to be removing the training contract route as I have been told so this will mean more demand for applications right. Sorry, I don't know much about the SQE but that is what I know but I only know this from what Reed Smith said they are removing the training contract from next year due to the SQE.
    The SQE is supposed to open up job opportunities though, so many the job market will become less competitive as there isn't a bottle neck at the TC stage.

TCs will still exist, they are just being rebranded under the SQE label

Reactions: Asil Ahmad

Haz

Legendary Member
  • Dec 28, 2020
    @Jessica Booker if 2021 is the final year that a firm allows their trainees to do the LPC, and said trainee is due to start the TC in 2023, would they want that trainee to do the LPC 2021-22 and then have a year off before the TC or is it normal practice for firms to want their trainees to do the LPC in the year before the TC starts and therefore in this scenario they'd instead want you doing the SQE?

Lily721

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    @Jessica Booker if 2021 is the final year that a firm allows their trainees to do the LPC, and said trainee is due to start the TC in 2023, would they want that trainee to do the LPC 2021-22 and then have a year off before the TC or is it normal practice for firms to want their trainees to do the LPC in the year before the TC starts and therefore in this scenario they'd instead want you doing the SQE?
    I think the LPC would still be available until 2030.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.