2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica444

Star Member
Sep 3, 2020
In my BCLP rejection it said "Please note, we considered your application to be particularly strong and would encourage you to reapply next year if you wish to do so."

I don't really know how to interpret this...

@Jessica Booker Do you think that this might be because I applied near to the deadline and they're rolling? Any insight would be better informed than mine! Thanks :)

Reactions: thirdtimelucky

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Does anyone know if reed smith will accept graduates on their summer placement? I’m technically only eligible for the spring scheme but I can’t make the dates- but stressed because I emailed them about it but haven’t heard a response, and I’ve just had a message from apply4law that they’re now closing apps in 2 days because they’re oversubscribed. Should I still bother?
    Someone on here said a while back that grads could apply. I'm a grad and submitted my research questions at the weekend so I guess they would have filtered me out if I wasn't eligible!

Reactions: jd3447

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    In my BCLP rejection it said "Please note, we considered your application to be particularly strong and would encourage you to reapply next year if you wish to do so."

@Jessica Booker Do you think that this might be because I applied near to the deadline and they're rolling? Any insight would be better informed than mine! Thanks :)
    I got the same and I applied in September lol. I was also rejected last week but received another rejection email today but with the added general feedback points

• 🤝
    Reactions: thirdtimelucky, Haz and Silas

hopefullawyer123

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 25, 2020
    Hiya!

I don't think there is anything wrong with doing so nor do I think this is something that will be unfavourable. Firms know you are likely to be applying elsewhere and if anything the fact that you were successful shows you are a competitive candidate. However, personally I only mentioned this if I was asked or it came up in discussion. (but of course this is just my experience)

If you are worried about the fact that the firms are substantially different as Dheepa mentioned, I would acknowledge this then focus your explanation on your interests whilst tying this to your specific interests at the latter firm.

Hope this helps & best of luck ☺️

Thank you Dheepa and Naomi! It’s something I have to mention to them and I feel a lot more confident doing so now :)

• Love
    Reactions: Dheepa

Jessica444

Star Member
    Sep 3, 2020
    I got the same and I applied in September lol. I was also rejected last week but received another rejection email today but with the added general feedback points
    Yeah I just got that as well! It’s encouraging but equally if the applications were that strong then they would have been successful hahaha

Reactions: OB

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

I don’t know why, could be because you applied late, it might just be that it’s been a very competitive year.

I would take their word for it though and reapply if that was something you wanted to explore at that stage.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Jessica444

Jony

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Oct 19, 2020
    Hey guys! I was just wondering, how long does it usually take you to prepare for an AC?

Depends on how much notice the firm gives you.

I had two weeks to prepare for Ashurst, so I spent the first week literally trawling the firm's website until I knew every sub-link and had a solid idea of the workings of the time (and random statistics and facts that were stored in my long-term memory that I used in my interview, to my interviewer's delight)

The second week was spent consolidating answers to interview questions, and the day before the AC I spent the whole day running through, on video, my entire interview process.

Conversely, I had 4 days to prepare for Skadden (but this was after the telephone interview, so I had already done some research) so I knuckled down to preparing answers for interview questions and ran my answers on video from day 1 of prep.

• 🏆
    Reactions: Lawbour and cmaj

Naomi U

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    Dec 8, 2019
    Hey guys! I was just wondering, how long does it usually take you to prepare for an AC?
    Hiya!

I don't think there is a set time for anyone. Everyone is coming from different backgrounds, circumstances and experiences so naturally what may take one person a weekend to feel prepared and comfortable, may take someone else a week. Also, it's important to remember that it varies across firms.

With this in mind, I really think it's all about you and your own personal preparation plan. Time doesn't necessarily equal a successful AC.

I'd say, it's more about what and how you prep rather than the length of time, so I wouldn't worry too much about this.

Hope this helps & best of luck ☺️

Last edited:
    Reactions: Zoo

C

Esteemed Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 7, 2019
    Depends on how much notice the firm gives you.

I had two weeks to prepare for Ashurst, so I spent the first week literally trawling the firm's website until I knew every sub-link and had a solid idea of the workings of the time (and random statistics and facts that were stored in my long-term memory that I used in my interview, to my interviewer's delight)

The second week was spent consolidating answers to interview questions, and the day before the AC I spent the whole day running through, on video, my entire interview process.

Conversely, I had 4 days to prepare for Skadden (but this was after the telephone interview, so I had already done some research) so I knuckled down to preparing answers for interview questions and ran my answers on video from day 1 of prep.
    Hi, when you say running through on video your entire interview process, do you mean recording yourself on camera answering potential questions and seeing how you appear?

Kubed

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020
    Does anyone know if reed smith will accept graduates on their summer placement? I’m technically only eligible for the spring scheme but I can’t make the dates- but stressed because I emailed them about it but haven’t heard a response, and I’ve just had a message from apply4law that they’re now closing apps in 2 days because they’re oversubscribed. Should I still bother?
    Hey - probably worth calling them up to confirm this, but I'm pretty sure they said on their open day that they're not that strict about graduates only applying to the Spring Scheme (and vice versa) i.e. if the dates don't work for you, they'd still accept your application for the Summer Scheme.

Reactions: jd3447 and M1999

Cantab_95

Legendary Member
    Sep 19, 2019
    the shining GIF

Me staring out the window waiting for any news to come in...

HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 1, 2020
    Also (sorry for all the qs)- do people normally use all 250 words for work experience sections??? At mishcon they really encouraged using the word count but idk in my other apps I feel like I just waffle to get to 250 and it’s unnecessary. Any thoughts?

I do for some and not others. I'll give them 250 words on a professional office job lasting 3 months, but 250 words on my 6 months spent making sandwiches would be painful (in my view!) if you have other experience worth speaking about. However am miles from an expert on these things...

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.