• Nov 14, 2020
    Another day of no news
    Brooklyn Nine-Nine Halloween GIF by PeacockTV

Naomi U

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    Dec 8, 2019
    Is it favourable or unfavourable to tell a firm that you have already been successful in gaining a VS with another firm? (whilst explaining that you still have interest in them)
    Hiya!

I don't think there is anything wrong with doing so nor do I think this is something that will be unfavourable. Firms know you are likely to be applying elsewhere and if anything the fact that you were successful shows you are a competitive candidate. However, personally I only mentioned this if I was asked or it came up in discussion. (but of course this is just my experience)

If you are worried about the fact that the firms are substantially different as Dheepa mentioned, I would acknowledge this then focus your explanation on your interests whilst tying this to your specific interests at the latter firm.

Hope this helps & best of luck ☺️

Last edited:
    • ℹ️
    Reactions: cmaj and 202023r

Naomi U

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    Dec 8, 2019
    Sorry if this is not appropriate for this thread haha.

I was just wondering, does anyone have tips for choosing seats for VS?
    I have so many seats I wanna take, and I was wondering if anyone has wise tips to share! :)
    Hiya!

I would pick the seats you have a genuine interest in.

You can always arrange to speak to someone in another group at a later stage during the scheme.

I also think, it's quite a good (if your scheme permits) to pick seats that vary across the different practice areas e.g. one week week in a transactions focused seat vs one week in a contentious seat, as this allows you to have a broader overview and insight.

Hope this helps & congrats on getting your vac scheme ☺️

Reactions: Cho

frksch

Star Member
    Jan 27, 2021
    Hey, I'm doing an AC for Mills & Reeve in a couple of weeks too. I have a friend who did it last year - he said that there isn't a great deal that we can prepare for. They want to see how creatively you can think on your feet and work with other people.
    Thanks for this ! I guess that's kind of re-assuring and nerve-wracking at the same time :) :) good luck in yours!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Andrew M

WannabeSolicitor24

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer 26
  • Apr 14, 2020
    Does anyone know Dechert's/Willkie/MoFo's rough response times post-VI/first round interviews??
    Just got a voicemail from MoFo asking me to call back. does anyone know what this is for? want to know if I call back and its an interview so I can prep!
    Congrats both! To be that guy, can I ask when you applied to MoFo?

layk

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 16, 2019
    I attended an event with Devonshires w Legal Chek and they mentioned that they are looking to reply to successful candidates in the next couple of weeks!

jd3447

Star Member
    Jan 25, 2021
    Does anyone know if reed smith will accept graduates on their summer placement? I’m technically only eligible for the spring scheme but I can’t make the dates- but stressed because I emailed them about it but haven’t heard a response, and I’ve just had a message from apply4law that they’re now closing apps in 2 days because they’re oversubscribed. Should I still bother?

GK8997

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 25, 2020
    Does anyone know if reed smith will accept graduates on their summer placement? I’m technically only eligible for the spring scheme but I can’t make the dates- but stressed because I emailed them about it but haven’t heard a response, and I’ve just had a message from apply4law that they’re now closing apps in 2 days because they’re oversubscribed. Should I still bother?
    I would call them in this case if they're not responding to emails, it's normally easier to sort things out on the phone rather than by email and quicker

Reactions: jd3447

jd3447

Star Member
    Jan 25, 2021
    Also (sorry for all the qs)- do people normally use all 250 words for work experience sections??? At mishcon they really encouraged using the word count but idk in my other apps I feel like I just waffle to get to 250 and it’s unnecessary. Any thoughts?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.