Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Ahh thanks! I am so conflicted. My family members say I shouldn’t mention it. However, that may be because they don’t know enough about this profession and the application process. I don’t want to be disadvantaged in any way by telling them

Definitely mention it! It will only be seen as a positive. The only situation where I'd say you wouldn't want to mention it is if they are substantially different firms. So if one is a international firm (MC, SC, US, whatever really) and the other is a smaller regional or national firm. That could possibly call your motivations into question I think. Bar that scenario, you have nothing to lose by mentioning it.

D

Deleted member 8341

For anyone waiting for Milbank Post-AC it is likely VS offers have been given out verbally(During my ac she said offers will most likely be given verbally first and rejections will follow possibly by end of this week) .. I’ve just seen someone update their linkedin to incoming vac scheme at Milbank.. so safe to assume I’ve been rejected... but I am glad to have got to the AC stage.

Has anyone heard back from Milbank post-AC or have any info about when they will be getting back to everyone?
    I heard back with an offer on Friday and what looked like a generic email sent to all offer holders today

Cho

Aug 8, 2020
    Do you have any particular options you're deciding between? I struggled as well but I picked the seat I will learn the least about from my studies- for example, I did debt finance on the LPC so I chose private equity over banking and finance as I wanted to learn more about the former

That's a good idea!
    I'm just worried that if I choose a completely new seat, I'd feel super lost during the scheme.
    How was your experience in private equity given that you did not have prior experience?

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hi! Anyone have advice for the strengths-based interview I have with Mayer Brown? I’m not quite sure what strength-based questions involve
    I haven't personally done a strengths based interview myself, but here's some recent useful posts on the subject. I hope some of it is helpful!

Strengths based interviews are highly unlikely to use competency questions (if they do it isn’t really a strengths based assessment). They tend to be forward looking questions rather than backwards looking , and also more reflective questions about how you feel about situations that would highlight a particular strength rather than focusing purely on what you would do in situations (or if relying on past examples, what you did).

Hi Asil - I'm not one of 'you 3' but recently looked at the Bright Network unit on strengths. It's presented by EY and is handy. https://www.brightnetwork.co.uk/academy/module/learning-about-strengths/

Also, CAPP have some useful insights. https://www.strengthsprofile.com/. Plus, the Civil Service and GLD use them so you can find videos on Youtube.

Hope that helps.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Damn... the fact that last year’s vac scheme thread was at 270 pages mid feb and this ones at 554 shows how competitive this cycle has been
    Jaysen always locked these threads at like 300 pages each year when I was applying so yeah it's insane that the cycle isn't even over yet and we're at double the number haha. Think it might also be because of how popular the forum is getting though ;)

J32

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Apr 4, 2019
    Sorry if this is not appropriate for this thread haha.

I was just wondering, does anyone have tips for choosing seats for VS?
    I have so many seats I wanna take, and I was wondering if anyone has wise tips to share! :)

I think it's worth doing a seat in one of the firm's core practice areas. Such seats are usually mandatory in the TC so the experience will tell you a lot about whether or not you'd enjoy being a trainee at the firm. In terms of the other areas you're interested in, you can always ask your supervisor to introduce you to people in different practices and arrange coffees with them to learn more.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.