2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

tk166

Esteemed Member
Jul 17, 2020
Has anyone heard back from Latham & Watkins post VI - they said they would get back to us within 2 weeks, and it was 2 weeks on Sunday. Should we email or wait?
I haven’t heard back and its been like 4 weeks lmao but last year they had ACs mid march so I think they just normally get back late let alone in a covid year

• Wow
Reactions: s.g

Dwight

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2019
Hi Folks,

When do we use the SWOT analysis? Do we only use it to analyse companies or can I read a news story and use it?

Also, I watched a YouTube video (
) which was useful and I recommend anyone to watch it, but does the internal and external analysis apply to news stories?

I would appreciate an understanding of SWOT.

Reactions: em311 and packhorse

alicebloom

Dec 27, 2020
Omggg that's a Slaughters vac scheme offer! Thank you to everyone here, including Jessica who gave such helpful feedback for my cover letter and Jaysen who started this whole thing, and made my first foray into law applications less stressful, and seemingly successful!!!

Good luck to everyone else on their applications!!!
Amazing! Are you law or non-law?

corplaw0702

Esteemed Member
Oct 15, 2020
I mean if you think about it extracurriculars are also discriminatory. I’m at Oxbridge and I can 100% tell you that I have more access to extracurriculars than others at RG unis let alone non-RG unis, because of the college system its a lot less daunting to get involved/start ur own society, so eliminating that from the application process makes complete sense in my opinion. At the end of the day I believe graduate recruiting should be mostly based on motivation because if you have the motivation you can learn to do any job so by introducing extracurriculars ur adding a skills-based need which many can’t have access to/have difficulty accessing because of situations outside of their control
That absolutely makes sense! I interpreted their application to be more commercially focused rather than motivational, although the research required to answer the question would have to be driven by somebody's motivation for the firm. Interesting to see that on Legal Cheek, the demographic of current trainees are heavily RG and Oxbridge... (combined over 80%), but I guess that could also be misleading because of the smaller trainee intake

Reactions: tk166

TiredPG

Star Member
Forum Winner
Jan 6, 2021
Just out of curiosity, how do you get notified about these? I've been an AS member for years and I've done nothing with them! All the events I see them advertise are limited to specific groups and those to which I did apply in the past, I was rejected
I was literally just invited to them, some had a bit of a brief application along with the invite - sorry that's not more helpful!

Jony

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Oct 19, 2020
    I mean if you think about it extracurriculars are also discriminatory. I’m at Oxbridge and I can 100% tell you that I have more access to extracurriculars than others at RG unis let alone non-RG unis, because of the college system its a lot less daunting to get involved/start ur own society, so eliminating that from the application process makes complete sense in my opinion. At the end of the day I believe graduate recruiting should be mostly based on motivation because if you have the motivation you can learn to do any job so by introducing extracurriculars ur adding a skills-based need which many can’t have access to/have difficulty accessing because of situations outside of their control

I think Ropes is the only completely CV-blind firm I've applied to so far, and I love it.

Echoing you, it totally makes sense that privilege/background/everything else that comes with differing socio-economic backgrounds will affect your grades and access to co-curriculars! Which is why they're perfectly suited to judge a character based on how well they write and argue a 3-step proposal (research on firm etc).

I sent my application in and I don't have my fingers crossed exactly due to it's broadness, but it makes me really happy to see a firm so accessible for candidates!

tk166

Esteemed Member
    Jul 17, 2020
    That absolutely makes sense! I interpreted their application to be more commercially focused rather than motivational, although the research required to answer the question would have to be driven by somebody's motivation for the firm. Interesting to see that on Legal Cheek, the demographic of current trainees are heavily RG and Oxbridge... (combined over 80%), but I guess that could also be misleading because of the smaller trainee intake
    I think also with stats its got to do with number of applicants that come from oxbridge and RG and also you have to think about how ppl at oxbridge and RG will have had access to alumni and others on their course that apply to corporate jobs meaning they know the process of how to research firms, have read plenty of successful applications and know what firms are looking for which I think is why you have that huge oxbridge/RG focus. I know at oxbridge theres a huge percentage that go into corporate jobs compared to other unis where students don’t even apply because thats not what they want so that definitely has something to do with it

Reactions: corplaw0702

LegalNim

Legendary Member
    Nov 14, 2019
    I'd tend to (partially) disagree. I went to a non-RG uni and simply did not have time to do all the extracurriculars on offer - and nor would any other human being to be honest. I went to state comprehensive school and couldn't afford things like music lessons etc. In fact, my school only paid and timetabled for students to do eight GCSEs - we had to pay to do any more than that. So, I did everything that was free - and I got a university "scholarship" as a high performance athlete without ever spending a penny on my sport (for the record, the "scholarship" was free gym membership and a hoody).
    At my non-RG uni, I was on three society committees, I played for two sports teams, ran in multiple SU elections. I was part of a multitude of societies ranging from charitable to musical to academic to sporting. People can also take part in activities outside of their educational institutions. I've attended five universities in total and I don't think any universities struggle for extracurricular opportunities.
    I think that there's a whole host of factors that impact whether someone can commit to extracurricular activities, and my opinion would be that the university you go to wouldn't play a massive role in that. Oxbridge aren't the only universities who have a college system and I wouldn't necessarily accept that a college system is less daunting regardless.
    I think factors that massively impact whether someone can participate in extracurriculars include things like disability, caring responsibilities, the degree you do (like nursing would be very difficult to commit to things when you need to work placement shifts, for example), financials (someone studying in Swansea or Newcastle will have a lot more money for extracurriculars than someone having to afford rent somewhere like Oxford or Guildford).
    In my opinion, graduate recruiters should and do view applications holistically. Someone who worked 40 hours per week but no extracurriculars is probably more favourable that someone who didn't work but attended a book club for one hour each week. Someone with no extracurriculars because they're a carer would and should be viewed differently from someone who simply chose not to participate in any.

Han.louise

Distinguished Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    May 28, 2020
    Is there a right or wrong way to draft a written exercise for case studies? Can it be in bullet points, or should it be in paragraphs if advising a client? How would your response be different if you are emailing a partner to a client?

corplaw0702

Esteemed Member
    Oct 15, 2020
    I think also with stats its got to do with number of applicants that come from oxbridge and RG and also you have to think about how ppl at oxbridge and RG will have had access to alumni and others on their course that apply to corporate jobs meaning they know the process of how to research firms, have read plenty of successful applications and know what firms are looking for which I think is why you have that huge oxbridge/RG focus. I know at oxbridge theres a huge percentage that go into corporate jobs compared to other unis where students don’t even apply because thats not what they want so that definitely has something to do with it
    I agree! I think esp at Oxbridge and RG there is a huge focus on commercial careers (I don't attend Oxbridge but I go to a RG uni) which can make it inherently easier for someone to have access to these firms. I do also see how students from a disadvantaged background can make up for these resources via active involvement in university societies and work experiences to showcase competencies. I would imagine that a position in society demonstrates the skills they are looking for, regardless of uni.
    I think Ropes has a unique and encouraging approach to reading applications nonetheless!

Reactions: Jony and tk166

user254

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
  • Jul 7, 2020
    Hey everyone, in the context of a VI how do people go about answering the any additional comments question? Would I be at a disadvantage for skipping it?
    Thanks for any input!

Reactions: C
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.