2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK8997

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 25, 2020
I'd appreciate people's opinions on whether it is detrimental to outstanding vac scheme apps to update your linkedin profile with a vac scheme that you have already gained? Or is it not a problem? thank you x
I actually think the opposite- it shows you're a desirable and competitive candidate who has already succeeded in another firm's rigorous app process! So I wouldn't say it's a problem at all!

• Love
Reactions: Holly and j597

jan28

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 12, 2019
I’ve got an assessment centre with Osborne Clarke coming up and I was pleasantly surprised to receive a care package from them today with a good luck note, high protein snacks and teas and coffees! I thought it was a really nice gesture and haven’t had this sort of experience with other firms.
that is actually so sweet of them. best of luck for the ac!

• Love
Reactions: Nathan Hayes

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    @Jessica Booker out of interest - when applying should we be putting all of our work experiences or is it better to be selective? For example I’ve worked in a number of hospitality roles, where I’ve developed similar skills, should I only be putting the most recent?
    Personally I group all of my retail roles into one work experience entry as putting all 7 of them would be a bit much 😅

Reactions: collie_121

CareerChanger

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 5, 2021
    I’ve got an assessment centre with Osborne Clarke coming up and I was pleasantly surprised to receive a care package from them today with a good luck note, high protein snacks and teas and coffees! I thought it was a really nice gesture and haven’t had this sort of experience with other firms.
    brb writing some complaints to other firms

AspiringSol

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer 6
    Nov 9, 2020
    How does everyone cope with waiting for the results of an AC. Its uber stressful.
    honestly i just like to forget about it, reading the news rlly helps take me out of my head n esp reading about quite serious issues i guess bc it just reminds me there are things out there that are much bigger than me… like my life is basically irrelevant haha in the grand scheme of things!!

Reactions: ZaraB and Andrew M

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I'd appreciate people's opinions on whether it is detrimental to outstanding vac scheme apps to update your linkedin profile with a vac scheme that you have already gained? Or is it not a problem? thank you x
    Most firms won’t even have the time to be looking at your LinkedIn profile.

Even if they did, surely showing you have been successful would be a positive thing?

Might make sense not to if the firms were very different from one another. Or if the schemes clashed though.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: OB, j597 and layla rose

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Anyone have an idea on where I can find resources for the standard interview question:

"What practice areas will be involved in this (hypothetical) deal and what will they be doing?"

Not sure if they're on the TCLA courses or in this forum, would be super appreciative if anyone would be able to share something!
    My articles on Case Studies and also Foundations of Commercial Law may help:

I've stuck them all into a linktree so will update my signature on this to automatically include the link in the future!

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    My articles on Case Studies and also Foundations of Commercial Law may help:

I've stuck them all into a linktree so will update my signature on this to automatically include the link in the future!
    Just bookmarked this on google chrome.

• 🏆
    Reactions: OB

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Guys, I wanted some clarification on this.

I wanted to ask about my A-Level requirements.

I got 180 UCAS points under the old UCAS system before 2017. Then did a foundation degree which I got 1st in and according to universities that is equivalent to ABB in total. I wanted to double-check if that is equivalent to ABB at A-Levels or not. This is because I have been getting rejected by firms that have ABB requirements.

Tarnjeet

Esteemed Member
    Oct 20, 2020
    For Womble Bond Dickinson, the application deadline is 28th February- does that mean I've got until the end of tomorrow to submit it? Sorry, might be a silly question, just wanted to make sure haha.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    I am currently writing up an answer to a question about developing or growing a law firm.

I have considered enhancing the firm's cybersecurity or climate change-related offering - but the firm already do this. What could I add to this? I'm genuinely stuck.
    Hard to know what to advise without an understanding of what the firm already provides. Could you give us any more information so we can help better?

AY

Mar 2, 2020
    I am currently writing up an answer to a question about developing or growing a law firm.

I have considered enhancing the firm's cybersecurity or climate change-related offering - but the firm already do this. What could I add to this? I'm genuinely stuck.
    hmmm, not too sure if this is right, but perhaps by introducing innovative tech to make the firm more efficient (AI and blockchain), more pro bono work e.g. legal aid centres, attending and sponsoring industry events showcasing the firms values, expanding locations, cross-selling between departments to increase business flow and allow for client retention. Apologies if I've understood this q wrong.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.