2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celestie

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Anyone else who applied to WBD who needs adjustments not been replied to by GR? Emailed yesterday and no reply today - don't wanna harass them lol

HopeLaw1997

Feb 24, 2021
    I've just finished my Dechert AC today! Pretty shattered lol. It's two back-to-back interviews with a written exercise right before: a proper grind.

Update on my first cycle:

23ish applications,
    3 through to AC,
    2 offers (Skadden and Ashurst)
    And waiting on a bunch of US firms like Cooley and MoFo with fellow US firm hodler @Aun Abbas

I've really enjoyed the interviews and applications at US firms specifically - if nothing comes out of this cycle, am definitely narrowing my strategy down to some delaware-law firms next cycle! :D

If anyone needs advice on Ashurst do PM me, I think I've replied to around 40 people so far for Ashurst and the list keeps getting longer!

*edit: you just need ONE!!!
    If I haven’t heard from Dechert post app should I assume it’s a no, as they’re holding AC’s?
    This is my first application cycle so I’m new to all this 🥲

jcatherine

Star Member
    Feb 23, 2021
    Ashurst PFO! It’s just funny in hindsight how i interacted a lot with the firm on two unique occasions and attended the open day. i literally bought a mouse to do that crazy game test of theirs 😂 meanwhile a firm i applied to on the deadline after considering not to and wasnt that fussed about has invited me to AC.. just goes to show how unpredictable this whole process is!
    literally feel the same spent a week listening to all their podcasts

HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 1, 2020
    had JD interview today and i felt ....... attacked?! i’m too emotionally unstable for this

Oh shoot, I hope you’re ok! They definitely don’t hold back and are pretty quick at identifying your weaknesses. However they are giving you a very good chance to address them by doing so, so you might have impressed a lot more than you think! But their approach is probably not for everyone, by a long distance

jan28

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 12, 2019
    Oh shoot, I hope you’re ok! They definitely don’t hold back and are pretty quick at identifying your weaknesses. However they are giving you a very good chance to address them by doing so, so you might have impressed a lot more than you think! But their approach is probably not for everyone, by a long distance
    Thank you i’m ok! The interviewers were super lovely but i was just taken back by the number of follow ups, mid answer interruptions etc even tho i was warned these would happen 😂

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I've just finished my Dechert AC today! Pretty shattered lol. It's two back-to-back interviews with a written exercise right before: a proper grind.

Update on my first cycle:

23ish applications,
    3 through to AC,
    2 offers (Skadden and Ashurst)
    And waiting on a bunch of US firms like Cooley and MoFo with fellow US firm hodler @Aun Abbas

I've really enjoyed the interviews and applications at US firms specifically - if nothing comes out of this cycle, am definitely narrowing my strategy down to some delaware-law firms next cycle! :D

If anyone needs advice on Ashurst do PM me, I think I've replied to around 40 people so far for Ashurst and the list keeps getting longer!

*edit: you just need ONE!!!

I actually resonate with this! I feel that firms are more accommodating when it comes to grades as well.

This is a break down of my official first cycle as a non-legal career change applicant -

31 application ( purely because I had free time after finishing my masters in November)
    3 through to AC
    2 offers ( Cleary Gott and Pinsent Masons) ( awaiting results on the AC with SPB)
    waiting for Mayer Brown post TI, Cooley post WG, Arnold Porter.

Whereas I haven't even been able to crack the first stage for many MC firms

This is a big reason why I promote sending out applications to many firms. I've spoken to a lot of candidates this cycle who only applied to a handful of firms and received straight rejections.

Unfortunately, due to the competition, I think there are very few candidates who are able to send off just 5 or so applications and come away with a training contract offer. The more applications you send, the greater the chance you'll have of securing a handful of interviews (by matching with the right firm who likes your profile/application answers). The more interviews you secure, the greater the chance you'll have of converting one into an offer.

All applications should be of high quality, but I think there's diminishing returns spending to many weeks on one application form.

(The exception to all of this is if you are only interested in a few firms!)

nisadee

Valued Member
    Oct 9, 2019
    This is a big reason why I promote sending out applications to many firms. I've spoken to a lot of candidates this cycle who only applied to a handful of firms and received straight rejections.

Unfortunately, due to the competition, I think there are very few candidates who are able to send off just 5 or so applications and come away with a training contract offer. The more applications you send, the greater the chance you'll have of securing a handful of interviews (by matching with the right firm who likes your profile/application answers). The more interviews you secure, the greater the chance you'll have of converting one into an offer.

All applications should be of high quality, but I think there's diminishing returns spending to many weeks on one application form.

(The exception to all of this is if you are only interested in a few firms!)

I definitely agree. I would love to be able to do this but it's difficult in terms of time when you're a student and a have a part time job. Maybe once I've graduated I'll get some time to dedicate fully to apps!

• 🤝
    Reactions: futuretraineecity and Andrew M
    had JD interview today and i felt ....... attacked?! i’m too emotionally unstable for this
    I am really sorry to hear that - everyone is going through a really rough time right now, and I can definitely empathise.

Regarding the firm interview, I would not worry too much. Certain firms enjoy doing 'conversational' interviews, which are intended to be adversarial and challenging to test how you cope under pressure (law firms are not as bad as some investment banks, but some will still stress-test you!). I will not opine on whether these are good or bad interview techniques; however, I know that some candidates love it, and some despise it.

To give you an example, I interviewed at an MC firm where my interviewer spoke, uninterrupted and at length, on 5G, and China, and mused to themselves on 'why can't we put WiFi boxes on telephone pylons?'. I was also interrogated, in quite a derisive tone, on why I got good A-Level grades. Now, I took that interview on the chin, but at the time, it really shakes you up! Also, full disclosure, I did not get the offer.

The long and the short of it is that some firms like to interview like this - the reason why I state this is because sometimes you can feel that they are attacking you. I assure you, that is not the case, and it all comes down to the recruitment policies of the firm, and the temperaments of the firm's partners.

Please do not feel like this was a personal attack on you, and, so long as you stayed calm and gave the best answers you could, you have done your best - which is what matters the most!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I definitely agree. I would love to be able to do this but it's difficult in terms of time when you're a student and a have a part time job. Maybe once I've graduated I'll get some time to dedicate fully to apps!

Completely understandable - I should add that no-one should feel bad for not being able to send off a high volume of total applications. It's more about sending off as many applications as you reasonably can, given your own circumstances. If you're working full time, you should be happy if you can send off over a handful of applications.

PF'noooo!

Star Member
    Jan 19, 2021
    Does anyone have experience with TopScore for ACs? I have an AC tomorrow in the form of a written case study. I am wondering whether you are allowed to write you answer first on Microsoft Word and then spell check it before putting it into TopScore. Or do you have to use the platform itself to write your answer. My reason being is that my spelling and grammar isn't always the best and Microsoft spellcheck is usually a godsend.

Chloe L

Valued Member
    Dec 24, 2020
    Does anyone have experience with TopScore for ACs? I have an AC tomorrow in the form of a written case study. I am wondering whether you are allowed to write you answer first on Microsoft Word and then spell check it before putting it into TopScore. Or do you have to use the platform itself to write your answer. My reason being is that my spelling and grammar isn't always the best and Microsoft spellcheck is usually a godsend.
    I think the use of spellcheck in an outside programme has been discussed before with much controversy.....I just used Topscore for the Willkie assessment and it saves every 2 seconds. I’d imagine they would be able to see if your work progressed over time or if you suddenly pasted a load of text but I don’t know for sure.

Reactions: OB
    I have used TopScore for 3 ACs - I am pretty sure you could copy and paste into the text box. However, I think it automatically has basic spellcheck (but not grammar...(?)). I would also recommend getting Grammarly as a browser extension!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.