Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker if a firm explicitly says they don't offer feedback to unsuccessful candidates post-interview, would it still be fine to send them an SAR? Would I need to first try asking for feedback a couple of times without the official SAR request just to see if they might respond, and then if they don't, send the official request?
A SAR is your right so everything is “fine” to do. There are no issues with when you request it really as it is your basic right to access that information via a SAR.

However, I personally wouldn’t send them a SAR straight off without at least asking for the feedback first. I would send them an email asking for feedback in the first instance and referencing that you will consider putting in a SAR request of the request cannot be met.

Basically that is giving them a chance to provide the feedback first before having to go through a full formal SAR process. It may also mean you get the feedback in a timely and more appropriate manner. A SAR can take three months to be returned to you and you could get a whole lot of far less useful information than you would expect. The feedback itself may even be in a poor format via a SAR while asking for the feedback means you may get it in a more user friendly version.

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020
    A SAR is your right so everything is “fine” to do. There are no issues with when you request it really as it is your basic right to access that information via a SAR.

However, I personally wouldn’t send them a SAR straight off without at least asking for the feedback first. I would send them an email asking for feedback in the first instance and referencing that you will consider putting in a SAR request of the request cannot be met.

Basically that is giving them a chance to provide the feedback first before having to go through a full formal SAR process. It may also mean you get the feedback in a timely and more appropriate manner. A SAR can take three months to be returned to you and you could get a whole lot of far less useful information than you would expect. The feedback itself may even be in a poor format via a SAR while asking for the feedback means you may get it in a more user friendly version.
    Small correction, an SAR has to be completed in 30 days by law, and you can request the specific information you are looking for rather than everything, so it's unlikely that they'll be given more than their feedback if its all they ask for. However, if the firm is annoyed they can definitely give it in a user unfriendly format, but this is something that can be appealed to the ICO because the information has to be understandable per the statute and ICO guidance.

• Wow
    Reactions: Celestie

ZR1998

Aug 10, 2020
    Anyone able to shed some light on what to expect for Trowers' assessment day? Don't know what to expect 😖
    written exercise (apparently more commercial than legal so non-law students are able to complete), if you haven't already been sent the McQuaig Mental Agility Test then you'll have to complete it there, and I think there's an interview as well which I've heard is mostly competency based

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    @Jessica Booker if a firm explicitly says they don't offer feedback to unsuccessful candidates post-interview, would it still be fine to send them an SAR? Would I need to first try asking for feedback a couple of times without the official SAR request just to see if they might respond, and then if they don't, send the official request?

Hi, might be helpful for you to check this out before you decide to go ahead

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.