2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_96

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Yes this is correct. Those who have completed and passed the LPC have an exemption for SQE1 but have to complete SQE2.

This could be part of the reason why Reed Smith are not able to consider LPC candidates though, because the way they have designed their programme means you might not fit into the training structure they have designed due to these exemptions (that is a major assumption by me though).

View attachment 3167

Interesting. I'm on the LPC right now and have managed to get through at least one of their stages after the automatic situational judgment test and it hasn't so far seemed to be an issue - although I'm not confident that I'll reach the AC itself.

Reactions: OB

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker :) I recently received a VS offer and contacted the firm for feedback regarding my case study and interview. However, the firm contacted me saying they don't give feedback to successful candidates. Is there a particular reason why this might be the case?
    Probably because it’s really difficult to give feedback when people did well. Could also be a time management thing too - I know the feedback from your perspective could be useful but it isn’t as important in many ways as giving the feedback to unsuccessful candidates (which they may have to prioritise).

If you are doing the vac scheme, then you could reach out to those who interviewed you while you are on the scheme to see if they have any feedback they could give you more informally.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Interesting. I'm on the LPC right now and have managed to get through at least one of their stages after the automatic situational judgment test and it hasn't so far seemed to be an issue - although I'm not confident that I'll reach the AC itself.
    It is an assumption (which could be horrendously wrong) but given the wording on their email saying that for VS programmes their aim is to recruit undergrads, maybe this is something they have had to change their approach to given the volume of applications.

Reed Smith could be a very popular option this year given their innovative approach to qualifying. For anyone who can’t really afford the GDL/LPC (even if it is sponsored, many people can’t afford to live of the maintenance grant alone), Reed Smith is going to be a very attractive option where you can earn money while learning.

Lawgirl123

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jun 22, 2020
    It is an assumption (which could be horrendously wrong) but given the wording on their email saying that for VS programmes their aim is to recruit undergrads, maybe this is something they have had to change their approach to given the volume of applications.

Reed Smith could be a very popular option this year given their innovative approach to qualifying. For anyone who can’t really afford the GDL/LPC (even if it is sponsored, many people can’t afford to live of the maintenance grant alone), Reed Smith is going to be a very attractive option where you can earn money while learning.
    I’m slightly confused by this - I read that the first intake to go the SQE route at RS was autumn 2022 so giving the SQE a year to establish itself first ?

GK8997

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 25, 2020

I'm not absolutely sure either but I think this email is because their summer scheme is aimed at undergrads while their spring scheme is aimed at grads- I was offered the Reed Smith VS and have completed my LPC so I don't think the firm is completely opposed to recruiting LPC grads, they may be wary though because of course as you mentioned before there's a huge gap between now and start dates as candidates don't do the LPC either!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I’m slightly confused by this - I read that the first intake to go the SQE route at RS was autumn 2022 so giving the SQE a year to establish itself first ?
    I am a little spaced out today, so apologies. What specifically are you confused about in this respect? I don’t think the fact they are starting the SQE in 2022 has an impact in that respect, if anything it means it will be even more established by the time 2023 intakes come around.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Guys, I am sorry if this is already answered here. I am in the process of doing the RPC application and their question is a current commercial issue relevant to them and saw on their website about blockchain and was thinking that is relevant to their stakeholders. I wanted to ask can I talk about blockchain as a commercial issue as it is on the rise.

Lawgirl123

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jun 22, 2020
    I am a little spaced out today, so apologies. What specifically are you confused about in this respect? I don’t think the fact they are starting the SQE in 2022 has an impact in that respect, if anything it means it will be even more established by the time 2023 intakes come around.
    Does that not mean people can start the GDL if they are joining in 2023? As they would need to start in September 2021? Maybe I’ve understood it wrong. !

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Does that not mean people can start the GDL if they are joining in 2023? As they would need to start in September 2021? Maybe I’ve understood it wrong. !
    I don’t think they would support people through the GDL. They would just put them through the SQE prep course.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Lawgirl123

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    They'll already have hired 2021 and 2022 intakes following LPC routes, so next available in 2023 now the SQE will fully be in place!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.