2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
Out of curiosity, do people recommend only applying to around 10 firms that you really love or trying to apply to like 25+ ? I'm trying to plan ahead for next cycle
My advice would be to do as many *high quality* applications as you can. There comes a point where you can repeat chunks of your answers anyway. It's mainly just the "why this firm" and specific commercial awareness questions which require tailored research.

I only ended up applying for 7 firms this year. I had intended on applying to 12-18. But then I started receiving test/VI/AC invites and I just didn't have the time to spend on new applications. Thankfully, those 7 applications included my favourite firms (not completely intentional - it was how the deadlines fell).

els124

Distinguished Member
Sep 26, 2020
Hi guys! Longtime lurker!
I have just been shortlisted for a vacation scheme in the summer by a regional firm. They don’t normally have this additional step, but have an influx of applications this cycle.
They have asked me send them a 3 minute video presenting a topic of my choosing. They said not to use PowerPoint etc.
Any idea what I could do? This is the last application of this cycle, and really need to get this vacation scheme!
thanks!!

I'd talk about the thing you're most passionate about. I was asked the question at the end of an interview with a firm and talked about the hobby I've had for the past 8 years and why I loved it. I worried afterwards that they might compare my enthusiasm for the hobby with my enthusiasm for the firm and think I wasn't motivated enough, but they offered me a place.
I think it will be important to talk about something you genuinely love because it will make you stand out. Having a big smile on your face and talking animatedly about something you genuinely care about will make you more personable and rememberable.

Reactions: collie_121

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I know this is not an application related but I predict by the end of Friday TCLA vacation scheme forum thread for this year will reach 900 before Friday. Woah and I think congratulations are in order also I remember someone saying last year it was only 300 I think.

Reactions: Jaysen

Dwight

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2019
    Can anyone please help about "where should we open a new office and why"? Really struggling with this question and have an AC very soon. Not sure even where to start - it's for NRF and they have offices everywhere.

@Neville Birdi perhaps you can help here since you have been part of this year's app cycle heavily - I'd really appreciate it!
    @Jacob Miller @Dheepa could use some help here since you both done an NRF AC

T

Standard Member
    Nov 14, 2019
    Got a call from Travers this afternoon inviting me to the partner interview! From what I understand there are quite a few spots left on the latter two schemes so if you haven't heard back I wouldn't worry just yet 🤞
    Congratulations @hscd21 I got an invite to the partner interview today too! What makes you think that there are still some spots left on the last two schemes?

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Can anyone please help about "where should we open a new office and why"? Really struggling with this question and have an AC very soon. Not sure even where to start - it's for NRF and they have offices everywhere.

@Neville Birdi perhaps you can help here since you have been part of this year's app cycle heavily - I'd really appreciate it!
    @Jacob Miller @Dheepa could use some help here since you both done an NRF AC
    Hi,

Here's a couple of older discussions which should help as a starting point:

• 🤝
    Reactions: Dwight and Dheepa

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I may have missed this earlier in the thread but is there any advice on prepping for psychometric tests??
    Received an invite for this with Anthony Collins so fingers crossed.
    There’s some general advice for psychometrics here:

Reactions: Jaysen

E1998

Distinguished Member
    Feb 17, 2021
    Just explain your situation to them (over the phone if you can!). Firms will be very aware that candidates have multiple vacation schemes so just explain the clash and politely ask if it's possible to be moved to another scheme? If they say no, then I'd ask to be considered for a direct TC but definitely ask to switch schemes first - it happens very often!

PS: massive congratulations! Hope you're able to celebrate in the sunshine :D
    Aw thank you so much!! Still in shock so news hasn't sunk in but hopefully will get to celebrate soon :D

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.