2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    On the cheat sheet point someone has raised, if you haven't already seen it, I'm linking Dan's fantastic cheat sheet below!

Damn I really missed a trick not charging anything for that 😂

InNeedofaTC

Star Member
    Jun 24, 2020
    Mine too....:oops:
    Sorry if I've made you panic haha!

I've literally just emailed them this evening too to advise them of my change of job (because it would be relevant for the type of law I'm interested in). Fingers crossed it's not too late! :(
    Don’t worry about it guys 🤣 I remember myself and a few others noticing the same thing a few days after submitting pymetrics!!

At this point they’re probably just comparing and confirming the successful applicants.

Reactions: Anon 11031
    A

Anon 11031

Don’t worry about it guys 🤣 I remember myself and a few others noticing the same thing a few days after submitting pymetrics!!

At this point they’re probably just comparing and confirming the successful applicants.
    Ah! It's such a shame if they can't add my new work place on though because I would have loved to have talked about it in my application!

But yes, I imagine they've already decided at this point and they're just narrowing it down!

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    yeah, i think potentially I have somewhat of an understanding of commercial issues etc but maybe not applying them to the context of interview questions or articulating my ideas very well to get across my point of view.

Joining a forum/group sounds like a really good idea! do you have any recommendations? (apart from tcla obviously!)
    My university had a commercial awareness society, so maybe check and see if yours does? Or you could even set one up. Alternatively, I've had quite a few invites on LinkedIn for pages and groups. Personally, I just tend to discuss ideas with connections I have picked up. Or my partner. He doesn't tend to listen but at least I can talk through my ideas out loud. 🤣

JCB-336

Mar 25, 2021
    A completely fair question and nothing wrong with asking it.

I very much doubt the firm would accept you completing another vacation scheme elsewhere (you are committing to a training contract at their firm).

Regarding whether you should do it anyway, it does happen and it's a very individual decision. If this was the case where another vacation scheme was your first choice firm, I would say go for it. As it's not - I would just weigh up both sides: are there other ways you can get more experience/make money? Does it bother you that you would be taking up another place? Is it really likely the firm would withdraw your TC?

Edit: To clarify, this is assuming you are accepting the TC offer you have been given.
    @Jaysen I am in a similar position to the original poster apart from I am the other way round- i.e. I have been made a TC offer from the regional office of a firm that was further down my list of preferences (I didn't actually apply for the TC but they said they were happy to bypass the VS) and I also have 2 VS offers with my top choice City firms in the Summer. The regional firm has given me 3 weeks to decide and they won't extend that deadline. I would feel terrible for other applicants if I ended up reneging on the TC offer, but I would also feel pretty rough if I declined this TC and then got no further offers and had to repeat this year of applications. I am basically just clarifying that when you said you would 'go for it', you mean to accept the TC with the possibility of reneging in the future? I appreciate that this is a good problem to have, but the decision has been weighing very heavily on me.

Also, side note on fees- the regional firm has said they would pay the LPC course fees ahead of a 2023 start date, but surely they wouldn't pay anything before this summer?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    @Jaysen I am in a similar position to the original poster apart from I am the other way round- i.e. I have been made a TC offer from the regional office of a firm that was further down my list of preferences (I didn't actually apply for the TC but they said they were happy to bypass the VS) and I also have 2 VS offers with my top choice City firms in the Summer. The regional firm has given me 3 weeks to decide and they won't extend that deadline. I would feel terrible for other applicants if I ended up reneging on the TC offer, but I would also feel pretty rough if I declined this TC and then got no further offers and had to repeat this year of applications. I am basically just clarifying that when you said you would 'go for it', you mean to accept the TC with the possibility of reneging in the future? I appreciate that this is a good problem to have, but the decision has been weighing very heavily on me.

Also, side note on fees- the regional firm has said they would pay the LPC course fees ahead of a 2023 start date, but surely they wouldn't pay anything before this summer?
    Yep that's what I mean - it does happen and I think it's okay to do what is right for you, especially if the firm isn't being flexible with the deadline.

I can't say I know about the LPC course fees situation (but I doubt it).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    If you have or are completing enrolment forms for the LPC for a specific provider, consider they may have paid for at least part of it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.