2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know what the VS to TC conversion rate is for HSF or W&C?
To echo what Dheepa said - I would really not get caught up in the numbers. I can only speak for HSF - at every stage they had informed me that there were always enough spaces for all of us (whether that be on the AC or on the VS). There were approximately 30 of us on our winter vacation scheme. Multiply that out and you have approximately 120 vacation scheme candidates a cycle. If you look on Legal Cheek, they offer approximately 60 training contracts a cycle. So, you'd expect a 50% cut right...

Well...no. I don't know the figures exactly, but I'm pretty sure over 20 of us got the TC offer from HSF's winter vacation scheme (Again, I don't know the official figures, that was my sense from our group chat popping off). That's well over the 50% rate. The point is that there is no hard and fast rule with a firm like HSF. Don't worry about the numbers, focus on doing your best, and it will, all things willing, fall into place!

So, in summary, and this goes for other candidates who are worrying about this kind of thing - please don't care about the numbers. When having my VSs/First-Year schemes, I did all the calculations - they genuinely end up stressing you out more, and give you no help whatsoever. Just enjoy the scheme, do your best, and, as they say (I sound tragically old...), leave the rest.

A

Anon 11031

I submitted some extra information to WBD last week that I felt was relevant for them to know in the context of my application and they haven't gotten back to me. I obviously know their recruitment team is extremely busy but I don't know if I should follow up?

M777

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jul 15, 2019
Anyone else also not heard a n y t h i n g from Gibson Dunn post-app? 🙃🙃🙃
Hey man, don't sweat it too much. I applied in December and I had assumed the worst as I applied nearly 4 months ago, meanwhile other people on here have done round 1 and 2 interviews + one person got a VS. I had completely written it off. I assumed it was gonna be like another firm I applied for, where I did a telephone interview over 3 months ago and never heard back. Gibson then emailed me a couple of days ago inviting me to a first round interview.

I think they must read every single application carefully and in full, interview the candidate if their application is good, and then move on to the next application. Hang in there, you'll hear an outcome soon!

• 🏆
Reactions: ofm and Kubed

Lawstudent1997

Distinguished Member
Mar 2, 2021
Hi, I was wondering the same thing. Have you received a response yet?
I had my interview yesterday so I'm wondering how long it will take to get a response
I heard back a day later but it might have been because I emailed to ask about how long I could expect to wait before hearing- I framed the email so that I could ‘manage my expectations’ so there’s no harm in enquiring if you want- but they say within the week and I think that’s been the case for a few people on here

Reactions: hscd21
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.