2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kablahc

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    Bakers says they're huge on diversity, but I cant see anything on disability networks on their site... Does anyone have any info/experience on what they're like for disability?
    I've been to their disability open day! They have multiple partners, associates, trainees and future trainees with a really wide range of disabilities (from physical to mental health). The general consensus was that the firm was incredibly supportive and accommodating, from providing less conventional work to do when some were physically unable to do ordinary written tasks and setting up special arrangements for neurodiverse employees. Of course take this with a pinch of salt because it's a recruitment event but it was an entire day of just talking about how they support disabled employees so that's certainly something. They talked at length about their internal networks so I'd be happy to send you a PM of my notes from the open day if you wanted!

Ryan B

Aug 12, 2020
    Wanted to find out what people prefer using Financial times or The Economist. I am finding that the student financial times is good but yet still restrictive - as it shows you the majority of the news articles, however, does not allow full access to all of the articles. Any other suggestions other than the usual BBC news, CNN, Bloomberg, general browsing of firms and news.
    Definitely recommend Watson's Daily

Alison C

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019
    Wanted to find out what people prefer using Financial times or The Economist. I am finding that the student financial times is good but yet still restrictive - as it shows you the majority of the news articles, however, does not allow full access to all of the articles. Any other suggestions other than the usual BBC news, CNN, Bloomberg, general browsing of firms and news.
    Podcasts! Wake Up To Money; FT New Briefing; Economist similar; BBC Business Matters; Watson's Daily; Five Thirty-Eight... also Lexology for more reading material. Hope that helps and I bet there will be a thread on here somewhere for Commercial Awareness podcasts etc?

Plus some firms have their own podcasts. Happy listening and reading to you!

LS12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Apr 22, 2020
    I personally prefer listening to podcasts I listen to the FTpodcast followed by Watsons Daily every morning.
    I would also always recommend creating a list of anything I’m confused by or interested in and then I find podcasts of videos on that topic.
    Another piece of advice that was so helpful was to create a professional YouTube account - one completely separate to videos you might watch for pleasure. The benefit to this is that YouTube will curate playlists based on your professional interests or recommend videos. Allowing you to broaden and deepen commercial interests.
    I also think commercial awareness extends beyond knowing current affairs but also recognising how broader topics fit into the world. I am an avid reader for this purpose. Not just commercial topics but anything I find interesting because at the end of the day it’s so much easier to learn about topics that fascinate you.
    Other commercial resources I recommend include little law; the business update and Morgan Stanley’s thoughts on the market podcast.

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    I've been to their disability open day! They have multiple partners, associates, trainees and future trainees with a really wide range of disabilities (from physical to mental health). The general consensus was that the firm was incredibly supportive and accommodating, from providing less conventional work to do when some were physically unable to do ordinary written tasks and setting up special arrangements for neurodiverse employees. Of course take this with a pinch of salt because it's a recruitment event but it was an entire day of just talking about how they support disabled employees so that's certainly something. They talked at length about their internal networks so I'd be happy to send you a PM of my notes from the open day if you wanted!
    You are a hero! I was worried as there are so many firms who are like ' WE <3 DIVERSITY ' and just leave out disabilities. I might ask about the notes if this application gets anywhere! Thanks!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.