Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I guess I'll have a look - I don't know if it would be easier to maybe ask the firm I'm due to be training at if they had any paralegal positions open closer to the time? Although most firms seem to want paralegals with some sort of experience! Maybe I'll get looking at volunteering in that case.

A few reasons but mostly because I haven't seen my partner in over a year because of the pandemic (studying in different locations) and I can't think of anything worse than that being the same except we're in totally different timezones! 😭
Yes, the firm may have paralegal or other admin roles available (things like business development). I don’t think it will be hard to find other opportunities though. Bound to be more of them outside of your firm than within it anyway.

Why don’t you go and live with your partner for the year?

• Love
Reactions: Daniel Boden and Kablahc

E1998

Distinguished Member
Feb 17, 2021
For all you people who will have to leave a 'gap year' between graduating and doing their LPC, or for those of you who are planning to do it, what is everyone planning to do? GR let me know there's no space on the '22 cohort for my TC so I'll be waiting until 2023. I've got a postgrad offer but it's conditional on a 1st, which it's extremely unlikely for me to make. Considering how dry the job market is even for paralegals and that most firms want theirs to have experience or to have sat the LPC, what's everyone else here planning on doing if they have to take a TC gap year? Options are getting so dry I'm looking at the NY Bar...
Many possibilities, work in a non-law random admin job, learn a new language, work abroad.

Celestie

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    If a firm recruits on a rolling basis and their deadline is 31/03 (today) is there any point applying? Just got rejected from WBD and I've just seen a firm I like that has a deadline of today but recruits on a rolling basis. Is it safe to say that spaces are probably filled by now? (They recruit less than 5 trainees I think)
    To respond to both your question and your iconic username, YES. I applied to a firm and literally said to my friend 'no chance I am getting this VS, just doing this for a free rejection heart attack' and I got it! Don't let numbers and play on your mind.

So yes, to law. And yes, to apply!

Reactions: Kola

Alison C

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019
    Thank you! Never heard of this before. Do you pay for the premium? Just trying to figure out if I am getting good value for money. Deloitte told me I can get it FT for free as they already pay for it. So may cancel that and get it through work.
    I'd say it's well worth paying for Watson's Daily - he does a great job of giving a really broad, accessible overview and it saves you a ton of time. See other comments above (eg @ZaraB) too. Also, if you are anything like me, once you are paying you will probably engage better.

Last edited:
    Reactions: ZaraB

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 37
    Mar 4, 2020
    An exit interview with HR/Grad Rec could be appropriate to raise it - then you phrase it in a way that is more like “if there is an opportunity to be considered for a 2022 TC, if very much like to be considered, but happy to continue with 2023 too”

Otherwise when you get the offer.
    Do you think there's any benefit in mentioning it at the exit interview as opposed when / if you get the offer? Are you more likely to be given an earlier place that way?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Do you think there's any benefit in mentioning it at the exit interview as opposed when / if you get the offer? Are you more likely to be given an earlier place that way?
    I don’t think it really makes much difference - it might just speed up the process if they can bring you forward at that time (they might not be able to do it then, but might be able to do it later).

Just be mindful that they may ask you what you would do if they can only offer you 2023 and you got a 2022 offer elsewhere.

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 37
    Mar 4, 2020
    I don’t think it really makes much difference - it might just speed up the process if they can bring you forward at that time (they might not be able to do it then, but might be able to do it later).

Just be mindful that they may ask you what you would do if they can only offer you 2023 and you got a 2022 offer elsewhere.
    Ah got it, thanks!

RoughWood

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Feb 24, 2021
    Out of curiousity, did yours have the whole thing about how your app fell just below the benchmark and loads of links to feedback things?
    Yes, maybe it was a generic rejection for all? Cant believe the feedback sessions they are running. That and their exemplary communication and respect for applicants only makes me want to work for them more! Very impressed

Hele25

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 5, 2021
    I would say practice as much as you can! Using the online platform shortlist me has been really great for me (I can access it through my uni) but if not practice recording yourself saying an answer. I have flash cards of typical questions and then give myself 20 seconds to come up with an answer, then record myself. That’s all the advice I can give but it has helped me a bit- I hate video interviews too but just doing them over and over has made it more manageable! Hope that helps ☺️
    Can’t say for WBD specifically but I’ve managed to get through a fair few VIs this year. imo most important thing is to just be super enthusiastic and come across as likeable - I think that gets you a very long way and that’s more of a focus than the content. I was literally smiling throughout the whole 60/90 seconds lol.
    Also structure your answer if possible eg “why are you applying to WBD” and you’d say “I’m applying to WBD for three key reasons. Firstly...” - these are easy to prep beforehand and practice.
    then, practice! if you’re on a MacBook there’s QuickTime player which I used to record myself and then would watch back (it’s painful lol but helps you see where you can improve).
    These are just my personal opinions - rooting for you!
    Thank you both so so much for this great advice.
    I smile when I’m nervous (and basically all the time) so that’s at least one good plus point ha)
    I’m going to spend allll the time up to the deadline (only 3 days lol) practicing and doing research.
    Need to get a bit of confidence going- Woke up at least 6 times in the night having imposter syndrome thoughts 😅😅😅

whoknew

Mar 8, 2021
    For all you people who will have to leave a 'gap year' between graduating and doing their LPC, or for those of you who are planning to do it, what is everyone planning to do? GR let me know there's no space on the '22 cohort for my TC so I'll be waiting until 2023. I've got a postgrad offer but it's conditional on a 1st, which it's extremely unlikely for me to make. Considering how dry the job market is even for paralegals and that most firms want theirs to have experience or to have sat the LPC, what's everyone else here planning on doing if they have to take a TC gap year? Options are getting so dry I'm looking at the NY Bar...
    I'm going to head off to paris for a year and find some jobs there to keep me afloat for the year!

Hele25

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 5, 2021
    Guys, am I being too harsh if I decide to not apply to law firms where there are no black people?
    So one firm I applied to (won’t name which), had absolutely zero people of colour working for them, the entire cohort of lawyers (bar one) was white (as far as I could see - and I looked). If you talk the talk of diversity and inclusion and highlight it as an issue of utmost importance in your firms culture, but there is no practical evidence - then there’s obviously an issue somewhere. It really made me think about my application and also I was kinda relieved when I was rejected. 🤷🏻‍♀️ So no, I don’t think it’s an overreaction or harsh. If someone is not inclusive I wouldn’t want to work for them.

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    So one firm I applied to (won’t name which), had absolutely zero people of colour working for them, the entire cohort of lawyers (bar one) was white (as far as I could see - and I looked). If you talk the talk of diversity and inclusion and highlight it as an issue of utmost importance in your firms culture, but there is no practical evidence - then there’s obviously an issue somewhere. It really made me think about my application and also I was kinda relieved when I was rejected. 🤷🏻‍♀️ So no, I don’t think it’s an overreaction or harsh. If someone is not inclusive I wouldn’t want to work for them.
    Same, there are firms out there that I like a lot. But then I go visit their website and LinkedIn page and ZERO Black African people at all levels. It really upsets me and I ask myself, is it possible that no black candidate was good enough to work for you?

I am not against white people, I grew up in a country predominately white, I was the only black student in my class from nursery up to university, my family is white. I know work with a team that is 70% BAME and I love it, I learnt so much about myself and realised that my journey until now has left some trauma.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.