2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

to law or not to law?

Distinguished Member
Dec 30, 2018
If a firm recruits on a rolling basis and their deadline is 31/03 (today) is there any point applying? Just got rejected from WBD and I've just seen a firm I like that has a deadline of today but recruits on a rolling basis. Is it safe to say that spaces are probably filled by now? (They recruit less than 5 trainees I think)

Legalmel_99

Legendary Member
Jan 16, 2021
If a firm recruits on a rolling basis and their deadline is 31/03 (today) is there any point applying? Just got rejected from WBD and I've just seen a firm I like that has a deadline of today but recruits on a rolling basis. Is it safe to say that spaces are probably filled by now? (They recruit less than 5 trainees I think)
Nothing to lose but could have a lot to gain

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 37
Mar 4, 2020
@Jessica Booker Jess, when do you reckon is the right time to ask a firm to be part of an earlier TC intake?

I have a VS coming up which could if all goes well lead to a 2023 TC. If I'm keen on going with the 2022 intake (provided there's space, of course), when would be the best time to mention this? During the VS? During the exit interview? After they offer your the TC?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker Jess, when do you reckon is the right time to ask a firm to be part of an earlier TC intake?

I have a VS coming up which could if all goes well lead to a 2023 TC. If I'm keen on going with the 2022 intake (provided there's space, of course), when would be the best time to mention this? During the VS? During the exit interview? After they offer your the TC?
An exit interview with HR/Grad Rec could be appropriate to raise it - then you phrase it in a way that is more like “if there is an opportunity to be considered for a 2022 TC, if very much like to be considered, but happy to continue with 2023 too”

Otherwise when you get the offer.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Matt_96 and Holly

Kablahc

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    For all you people who will have to leave a 'gap year' between graduating and doing their LPC, or for those of you who are planning to do it, what is everyone planning to do? GR let me know there's no space on the '22 cohort for my TC so I'll be waiting until 2023. I've got a postgrad offer but it's conditional on a 1st, which it's extremely unlikely for me to make. Considering how dry the job market is even for paralegals and that most firms want theirs to have experience or to have sat the LPC, what's everyone else here planning on doing if they have to take a TC gap year? Options are getting so dry I'm looking at the NY Bar...

Reactions: whoknew

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    For all you people who will have to leave a 'gap year' between graduating and doing their LPC, or for those of you who are planning to do it, what is everyone planning to do? GR let me know there's no space on the '22 cohort for my TC so I'll be waiting until 2023. I've got a postgrad offer but it's conditional on a 1st, which it's extremely unlikely for me to make. Considering how dry the job market is even for paralegals and that most firms want theirs to have experience or to have sat the LPC, what's everyone else here planning on doing if they have to take a TC gap year? Options are getting so dry I'm looking at the NY Bar...
    If it was me, I’d travel as much as I could while I could.

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    Yeah exactly what I was referring to as well! Interesting that it disagrees with what grad rec said.
    Not sure if this is just me but I would do something unrelated to law, and chill out. You’ve worked so hard and you deserve a year to do things you’ve always wanted to do, learn new skills, travel, get a job you wouldn’t normally go for. I think it’s a blessing in disguise really forcing you to have a gap year

• Love
    Reactions: Dheepa and Kablahc

Kablahc

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    If it was me, I’d travel as much as I could while I could.
    Not sure if this is just me but I would do something unrelated to law, and chill out. You’ve worked so hard and you deserve a year to do things you’ve always wanted to do, learn new skills, travel, get a job you wouldn’t normally go for. I think it’s a blessing in disguise really forcing you to have a gap year
    Yeah I know a lot of people usually would travel or have done! It looks like an amazing experience but not really an option for me sadly so don't really know what to do other than do non-law postgrad (cannot stand the thought of a standard LLM after all this 😂)

Kubed

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020
    Reed Smith PFO after research questions... got 2 more firms to hear from and then gonna cry in a hole till next cycle. Honestly just very demotivated.
    It's not over yet! I was in a similar position this time last month and managed to get interviews/ACs for my final 2 outstanding applications, making it through to vac schemes for both. Keep the faith :)

Reactions: JayC and N.9

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Travel travel travel!!! Do as many things you can to avoid thinking about law imo

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Yeah I know a lot of people usually would travel or have done! It looks like an amazing experience but not really an option for me sadly so don't really know what to do other than do non-law postgrad (cannot stand the thought of a standard LLM after all this 😂)
    Only do a post grad study if you want to. It isn’t really going to help your career.

If you have secured a TC, you’ll probably secure a paralegal role fairly easily if you wanted to.

But you could do any job. Assuming finances are not a problem if you are considering post graduate study, you could choose to volunteer or do anything you wanted for your own passions/interests.

• Love
    Reactions: Kablahc

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Why would travelling not be an option out of interest? Alternatively, I'd work in another job for a few months to save up the money to then go travelling if it's a money issue?

Reactions: Jessica Booker

tk166

Esteemed Member
    Jul 17, 2020
    Only do a post grad study if you want to. It isn’t really going to help your career.

If you have secured a TC, you’ll probably secure a paralegal role fairly easily if you wanted to.

But you could do any job. Assuming finances are not a problem if you are considering post graduate study, you could choose to volunteer or do anything you wanted for your own passions/interests.
    Random question, why do law firms hire future trainees as paralegals? Also I want to save money for travelling, do you think being a paralegal for 6 months is doable or do I need to stay for a full 12 months?

Kablahc

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020

I guess I'll have a look - I don't know if it would be easier to maybe ask the firm I'm due to be training at if they had any paralegal positions open closer to the time? Although most firms seem to want paralegals with some sort of experience! Maybe I'll get looking at volunteering in that case.
    Why would travelling not be an option out of interest? Alternatively, I'd work in another job for a few months to save up the money to then go travelling if it's a money issue?
    A few reasons but mostly because I haven't seen my partner in over a year because of the pandemic (studying in different locations) and I can't think of anything worse than that being the same except we're in totally different timezones! 😭

• 🤝
    Reactions: M1999

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Random question, why do law firms hire future trainees as paralegals? Also I want to save money for travelling, do you think being a paralegal for 6 months is doable or do I need to stay for a full 12 months?
    Because it’s a sign of quality and it works well if they know the paralegal is only needed for a set period of time.

Contracts can be as short at 3 months through to 24. Really depends on the role being advertised.

• Wow
    Reactions: tk166
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.