2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayB

Legendary Member
May 16, 2019
I have received 2 training contract offers from high-street law firms, but my goal is to become a trainee and a qualified lawyer at a City law firm in London. I was wondering if I don’t secure any TC offers from my “dream” firms - can I still move to an international City law firm once qualified, even though I’ve trained at a high-street firm?

Or is my chances slim, as I don’t want to narrow myself!! :/

@Jaysen @Jessica Booker

• 🏆
Reactions: C

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I have received 2 training contract offers from high-street law firms, but my goal is to become a trainee and a qualified lawyer at a City law firm in London. I was wondering if I don’t secure any TC offers from my “dream” firms - can I still move to an international City law firm once qualified, even though I’ve trained at a high-street firm?

@Jaysen @Jessica Booker
This may come across as blunt, but this is highly unlikely to almost impossible.

The work you will be doing in a high street firm is light years away from the type of clients and the type of matters you would work on in an international firm.

You’d have to have a whole lot of good fortune for it to happen. For instance, if you got involved in something that was very niche/fast growing or something that went from being small scale to complex.

There might be some practice areas where it is more feasible, but I am not convinced even then it would be something that happens enough to be able to say you could make the transition.

FM302989

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020

@Jaysen @Jessica Booker

Read this article about Richard Youle. Trained in Hull's high street and is now a Partner at Skadden

Reactions: jw97

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

FM302989

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020
    I’d stress the late 90s/early 00s were a very different time!
    I'd argue we'll never know where our careers will take us. If we put our mind to something and work hard, I'd like to believe people can achieve their ambitions and work their way up.

I know we don't live in a fantasy world, but after all, trainee positions are few and far between across the whole country

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I'd argue we'll never know where our careers will take us. If we put our mind to something and work hard, I'd like to believe people can achieve their ambitions and work their way up.

I know we don't live in a fantasy world, but after all, trainee positions are few and far between across the whole country
    There will always be extreme outliers, but I my view is to be one you’ll need a lot more than hard work to get you there. The article itself suggests this is one of those occasions.

FM302989

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020
    There will always be extreme outliers, but I my view is to be one you’ll need a lot more than hard work to get you there. The article itself suggests this is one of those occasions.
    I dunno, just doesn't really seem like a message that I would personally want to encourage, but I respect your view and you're more than likely right

I'm working at a high street firm and will be moving to a City firm to train. One person at my high street firm qualified a couple years back, moved to an international firm and now works as a legal counsel for a global company. Another qualified recently and moved straight away as an NQ to a Silver Circle firm. I'd rather take the view that yes, I agree moving up is difficult and there will be biases against regional firms, but I hope that will change so it won't necessarily be an extreme outlier in the future. Guess discussion is what this forum is all for anyway!

I'll allow the original question-asker to make their own decision though!

Last edited:
    Reactions: AspiringSol, J32 and JayB

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I dunno, just doesn't really seem like a message that I would personally want to encourage, but I respect your view and you're more than likely right

I'm working at a high street firm and will be moving to a City firm to train. One person at my high street firm qualified a couple years back, moved to an international firm and now works as a legal counsel for a global company. Another qualified recently and moved straight away as an NQ to a Silver Circle firm. I'd rather take the view that yes, I agree moving up is difficult and there will be biases against regional firms, but I hope that will change so it won't necessarily be an extreme outlier in the future. Guess discussion is what this forum is all for anyway!

I'll allow the original question-asker to make their own decision though!
    There might be something special about the firm you worked at. It could easily be an anomaly. But moving pre-TC will be fairly common though.

Reactions: FM302989 and collie_121

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Maybe in the future but I got an interesting job that I know I want to stick with for a couple of years.
    If you are doing the vac scheme pre being employed, then there isn’t really an issue with you doing so, you are trying it out. Be mindful that if you are trying to do this while you are employed, it will be much more difficult. Many organisations you have to declare alternative employment, and your employer may not allow you to go and work elsewhere for a couple of weeks.

jasonweee

Star Member
    Nov 25, 2020
    If you are doing the vac scheme pre being employed, then there isn’t really an issue with you doing so, you are trying it out. Be mindful that if you are trying to do this while you are employed, it will be much more difficult. Many organisations you have to declare alternative employment, and your employer may not allow you to go and work elsewhere for a couple of weeks.
    ahh ok. Yes im not employed yet. The vac scheme is prior to the start date. Thanks!

josemourinho

Star Member
    Feb 19, 2021
    How did you get on with the assessment centre?
    Ok I think! A few hiccups but definitely not going to overthink them. Didn't really get a break because even the lunch bit is cameras on which I think was probably my least fave part of the day, although ofc they were nice enough to provide deliveroo. The wait is killing me though.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.