Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker I’m wondering if you have a sense from your time in grad rec how prescriptive firms tend to be if they’re funding the GDL and LPC. Would a firm be okay with me starting the GDL in the January intake, for example, and then doing the fast track LPC starting the following January? Also do you think a firm would be okay with me doing either or both online?
They tend to be more prescriptive with the LPC, especially where they have bespoke courses.

The GDL they tend to be more open to where it is a standardised course (eg no optional modules). Before Covid, I would have said they would have probably told you to do it on campus, but they might be more open to the GDL being online this year given its last year and potential on-going disruption to in-person studying.

Reactions: JayC

HannahW1992

M&A Bootcamp
Oct 1, 2020
Trowers PFO after AC
200.gif
Likewise. Just means that the firm wasn't right for us. Onwards and upwards!

j597

Star Member
Jan 18, 2021
Does anyone have any advice with clashing vacation schemes? I have 2 vacation schemes secured for summer but they overlap by one week - I love both firms and would appreciate anyone's advice on the issue. Is it unheard of that firms would allow you to miss the whole/some of their vac scheme but still be considered in the TC assessments? I know it's a very nice problem to have, I certainly didn't expect I'd be in this situation! 😂

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Does anyone have any advice with clashing vacation schemes? I have 2 vacation schemes secured for summer but they overlap by one week - I love both firms and would appreciate anyone's advice on the issue. Is it unheard of that firms would allow you to miss the whole/some of their vac scheme but still be considered in the TC assessments? I know it's a very nice problem to have, I certainly didn't expect I'd be in this situation! 😂
    It's highly unlikely a firm would allow you only to complete one week for another firm's scheme.

If this were me< I would do the following:
    1. Contact firm A to ask if there was an alternative week I could do
    2. If no, contact firm B to ask the same
    3. If no, decide what firm's scheme I wanted to do more
    4. Accept that scheme, contact the other scheme and say that, due to dates, you're unable to attend the VS. Ask whether you'd be able to be considered for a direct TC interview with the same firm (some might, others won't - no harm in asking here)
    Hope this helps :)

j597

Star Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    It's highly unlikely a firm would allow you only to complete one week for another firm's scheme.

If this were me< I would do the following:
    1. Contact firm A to ask if there was an alternative week I could do
    2. If no, contact firm B to ask the same
    3. If no, decide what firm's scheme I wanted to do more
    4. Accept that scheme, contact the other scheme and say that, due to dates, you're unable to attend the VS. Ask whether you'd be able to be considered for a direct TC interview with the same firm (some might, others won't - no harm in asking here)
    Hope this helps :)
    This is really helpful. I imagine firms have different thoughts on the matter but I definitely agree this is the most sensible way of approaching it, thank you Jacob :)

Reactions: Jacob Miller

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    1) check whether either firm has flexibility with dates

2) if not, unfortunately decline one of the two offers.

Reactions: Andrew M and j597

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you Jessica! I know one of the firms has other dates for a different location - I assume the firm would have to offer other dates for the same location for your number 1 to be an option?
    They will only offer a scheme based on the location you are willing to have a TC at.

Reactions: j597

packhorse

Esteemed Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Apologies if this has been asked- but does anyone have experience or know of someone who has secured a TC offer and asked the firm who issued the offer whether they can complete other vacation schemes before accepting? Asking for a friend... ;)

Reactions: Tavistocksfinest

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    Contact the firms and find out if they can be flexible. I rejected one of my offers because the date they gave for the office I applied to clashed with another scheme I had already accepted. They called me and asked me if I'd be interested in doing another date. So I would definitely recommend checking to see!

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Apologies if this has been asked- but does anyone have experience or know of someone who has secured a TC offer and asked the firm who issued the offer whether they can complete other vacation schemes before accepting? Asking for a friend... ;)
    I did this with Travers as I still had my NRF VS to go, and, while I was pretty sure I wanted Travers I wanted to see whether NRF changed my opinion. They'd initially given me a deadline before the NRF VS, I explained that I had another VS and, while I was pretty sure I'd take Travers' TC offer, I felt I owed it to myself to do the scheme having worked hard to get a place on it. They were super chill, gave me as much time as I needed and, in the end, I knew travers was the one for me so dropped out of the NRF exit interview so I wasn't competing against other candidates.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.