Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Haha! I'd probably say that most people who thrive in private client enjoyed Trusts at undergrad/GDL, but I could be wrong about that.

Absolutely - other notable firms include Withers, Mishcon, Forsters plus some other underrated ones like Mills & Reeve! My TC is with CRS :)
    Hearing that there are people who genuinely enjoy trusts is such a shock to me. Nothing made me want to quit law like trusts did haha 😅 Huge congrats on CRS though!

Kola

Legendary Member
    Sep 27, 2020
    Hi guys,

I have just finished my VS! I am more than happy to answer any questions people may have about VSs.
    I went into this with no idea what a lawyer does, but I feel like I actually (kinda) get some of it now.

Lots of love 🤗

Sidley right? What were the best and worst things about the firm? What was the overall vibe like?

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Sidley right? What were the best and worst things about the firm? What was the overall vibe like?
    Absolutely wonderful firm. Worst thing - the hours. I worked an awful lot (as did other schemers) which was great for experience, but a bit of a shock after uni. My top advice is to get a calendar, colour code it.
    Vibe was great - people always made time to talk to me and gave invaluable advice. My commercial awareness is through the roof now.

But given my other offers, I will need to see if this is my final step with the firm. :)

Holly

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Nov 23, 2019
    Absolutely wonderful firm. Worst thing - the hours. I worked an awful lot (as did other schemers) which was great for experience, but a bit of a shock after uni. My top advice is to get a calendar, colour code it.
    Vibe was great - people always made time to talk to me and gave invaluable advice. My commercial awareness is through the roof now.

But given my other offers, I will need to see if this is my final step with the firm. :)

Just out of curiosity, what kind of hours did you do? Congrats again on the scheme :)

Hele25

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 5, 2021
    Morning :)
    So, I’m completely flailing under my paper filing system for how I’m organising my applications and I’d be really grateful to see examples of how other people have organised their applications this cycle.

Does anyone have an outline/blueprint/ excel spreadsheet that they’ve used that they wouldn’t mind sharing please? Just to give me some ideas of how I can be more efficient.

thanks so much.

Reactions: hannahlawstudent3

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    So, I’m completely flailing under my paper filing system for how I’m organising my applications and I’d be really grateful to see examples of how other people have organised their applications this cycle.

Does anyone have an outline/blueprint/ excel spreadsheet that they’ve used that they wouldn’t mind sharing please? Just to give me some ideas of how I can be more efficient.

thanks so much.
    You can download this one here. I also remember a conversation some hundred pages back when someone shared their spreadsheet but I can’t find it at the moment. If I do will definitely send it over.

Guilherme Carvalho

Dec 4, 2020

thanks so much.

Hey, I think this may be the spreadsheet that @Dheepa was referring to. It's quite a good idea, I will defo do something similar next cycle!

HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 1, 2020

thanks so much.

I just use a simple excel spreadsheet, I use separate pages for applied, in process of applying/want to apply, and then apps that are optional to apply to.

For my sent apps: green is my base colour (as it's my favourite). First column is name, second column is where I am with the app--bright yellow means successful, green still in process (e.g. at interview), white means awaiting any news, red is rejected. A small blank column where I just highlight any actions needed (e.g. WG needing completion), only time I use neon so I don't miss deadlines. Then a column colour-coding application stream (direct/VS) and with date of application. Then a further column for notes, e.g. if we have any idea of when I should hear back or any pertinent info.

For the apps still to complete, the main thing my spreadsheet highlights is deadline, whether rolling and what stage I am at with writing. I highlight the apps that I particularly care about or that have an approaching deadline. And keep that page nice and clear by putting apps I MIGHT consider onto a separate excel page.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Hele25 and Jaysen

Ana_M

Standard Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 8, 2021
    If I am applying for a direct TC with a firm would I put an upcoming vacation scheme with a different firm in my work experience section or not? As it can show I have been successful in applying elsewhere but at the same time as it's with a different firm it may look odd/out of place?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.