2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawlad

Nov 7, 2019
Anyone applying for Herbert Smith Freehills here or has applied to them for their vacation scheme I want to know about their question 3 which is

What skills, qualities and attributes would you bring to the role?
I think a good approach is to say a skill which important for lawyers and why, then show how you have demonstrated those skills. For example I split it up into three separate paragraphs work ethic, communication skills and skills from my degree.

as an example I said communication skills important when working on cross border deals etc. Then gave an example of when I had worked with people from diverse background.

Reactions: Fran and Lawbour

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I think a good approach is to say a skill which important for lawyers and why, then show how you have demonstrated those skills. For example I split it up into three separate paragraphs work ethic, communication skills and skills from my degree.

as an example I said communication skills important when working on cross border deals etc. Then gave an example of when I had worked with people from diverse background.
    Thank you for this and I decided to talk about 2 competencies and is it important to link to HSF, for example, this will be important on my training contract at HSF because....

Reactions: lawlad

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2020
    Well - look at the competencies they want (eg. teamwork) and ask yourself if you've displayed that!

I was in one of HSF's webinars today and they said to identify the skills trainee would have and use those. So the standard teamwork, etc.

Hey,

I applied to NRF Spring VS three weeks ago and still waiting for an answer. Has anyone heard from them yet?

Thanks!

NRF screen on a rolling basis but won't issue any ACs until later in the pipeline. You may be invited to telephone interview though.

I suspect they're gearing up for their WVS.

Is it a good idea to email grad rec to ask for an update on your application and if so, how do you do so in a polite way?

Depends on how long its been on your app and whether the firm is rolling basis. Usually, 3 weeks + is when I email unless their website says otherwise.

sabma

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 22, 2018
    I was in one of HSF's webinars today and they said to identify the skills trainee would have and use those. So the standard teamwork, etc.

NRF screen on a rolling basis but won't issue any ACs until later in the pipeline. You may be invited to telephone interview though.

I suspect they're gearing up for their WVS.

Depends on how long its been on your app and whether the firm is rolling basis. Usually, 3 weeks + is when I email unless their website says otherwise.
    Thanks! It’s not rolling basis. How would you loosely phrase your email?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.