2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helpme12345

Valued Member
Nov 19, 2020
I have also an upcoming VI with CMS.

What is the difference between competency and motivational Q?

Or are motivational Q a different term for strength based Q?

Competency is the "tell me about a time you showed..."
Motivational are things like why law, why CMS etc
Strength-based are things like "what energises you" and strengths/weaknesses

This is what I think anyway, please someone correct me if I'm wrong!

• 🤝
Reactions: Fran, R1a01, CF and 2 others

Staples

Legendary Member
  • Sep 11, 2020
    Has anyone got any advice about taking a break from application season? I feel overwhelming pressure for this to be my year because I am self funding the GDL. My mental health has been so bad recently because I just feel like a failure after putting in so much effort with applications, interviews & not successful. I’m not a positive person at all and I’m really questioning why I am putting myself through all of this
    Hi, let me start by saying I couldn’t be more sympathetic - I’ve been having a bloody hard time too. The relentless stream of rejections, on top of the pandemic and the general state of the world, has taken its toll. Let’s be kind to ourselves, we deserve it.

That said, for what it’s worth here’s my personal advice -
    1. Do your research. Not just specific research into firms - I mean just high-level research on application techniques, what firms tend to look for and so on. When I started applying at the beginning of this cycle, I had very little knowledge of how these things work and severely underestimated it (result: 10 straight rejections at the application form stage, which you’ll understand wasn’t good for my self-esteem). But there are so many great resources out there, including the TCLA webinars which I honestly found invaluable. I know you’re specifically asking for mental health advice and not application advice, but I would start from there, because research helps you maximise your chances - thanks to the ‘homework’ I’ve been doing, in the past couple of weeks I’ve finally started to get past the application form stage which is honestly the best thing that’s happened to my mental health since summer. I’m not building my hopes up at all, the journey is still sooo long, but my overall outlook is totally different.
    2. One small thing at a time. Prioritise some firms and delay others, tackle one question at a time, research one aspect at a time. When you plan your application work, don’t just write “Thursday: application work” on your calendar - go for something super specific like “10-11: research Ropes & Gray’s PE practice”. I guarantee it’ll feel far less overwhelming, and it’ll help you make the most of your time.
    3. Remind yourself why you’re doing this. You say you’re questioning your motivation - it’s completely normal and personally I do it all the time! But doing so can actually help you understand yourself. Every time you ask yourself “why am I doing this?”, instead of leaving it at that like a rhetorical question, be serious about it - why are you doing this? What drives you towards law - or, more specifically, the application you’re working on? And as you think of possible answers, take notes! Not only is it a good mindfulness exercise, but it also provides you with some material for those ubiquitous ‘why law’ questions. (And in case you realise that your motivation doesn’t feel strong enough and you still want to take a break and look elsewhere, nothing wrong with that at all!)
    I hope this helps at all. Feel free to reach out - one thing this forum has taught me is that you’re not in this alone. Take care.

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Competency is the "tell me about a time you showed..."
    Motivational are things like why law, why CMS etc
    Strength-based are things like "what energises you" and strengths/weaknesses

This is what I think anyway, please someone correct me if I'm wrong!

Spot on

Zoo

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Apr 21, 2019
    Following from my earlier question, does anyone know how long the Weil WG test takes? I'm working so try and factor it into my day :)

I can’t remember exactly how long it took me but I think it was around 30 minutes. Definitely less than an hour.

And re preparing for the WG, do as many practice tests as you can

Zoo

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Apr 21, 2019
    Has anyone got any advice about taking a break from application season? I feel overwhelming pressure for this to be my year because I am self funding the GDL. My mental health has been so bad recently because I just feel like a failure after putting in so much effort with applications, interviews & not successful. I’m not a positive person at all and I’m really questioning why I am putting myself through all of this

If you need to take a break then you absolutely should- I did. Your mental health takes priority. Taking a break will also let you come back fresh so you can properly focus on your applications and GDL. It’s a really tough process but you’ll get there.

• 🤝
    Reactions: OB and Staples

cogito ergo sum

Star Member
  • Nov 2, 2018
    This morning I received an invite to take part in Taylor Wessing's behavioural- based assessment. I've never done this form of testing before, does anyone have any general advice?

(Sorry if there is an answer to this question that I have missed- I've been moving house this week so I've not been active on here :) ).

Congrats on the test invite! May I ask when did you apply?

Dwight

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2019
    Has anyone heard back from A&O re Summer Vacation Scheme? (I saw it on TSR that a candidate received an AC invite approx 1 week after submitting so start to think that mine will be a rejection, considering 21 days has elapsed:confused:). Thank you!

Are we meant to hear back after 21 days of being successful in the SJT?

Legally brown

Distinguished Member
    Dec 6, 2020
    i recieved feedback for my BCLP test two days ago now, and have not got an invite yet for the next stage. Should presume its a rejection then or keep waiting? I know people have got emails after feedback inviting them for an interview ://

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    i recieved feedback for my BCLP test two days ago now, and have not got an invite yet for the next stage. Should presume its a rejection then or keep waiting? I know people have got emails after feedback inviting them for an interview ://

Two days is no time at all between taking a test and the firm having the time to review your application.

vaikekabi12

Standard Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 27, 2020
    Does anybody know if White & Case send out rejections at all? From what it seems, they do not seem to inform applicants whatsoever about their progress, apart from if they are successful.

@k

Aug 1, 2020
    Hi! Has anyone heard back from Macfarlanes about the vacation scheme? They are apparently reviewing applications on a rolling basis, but now that we are slowly approaching January I wonder whether they might hold those invitations back until after the deadline?

Reactions: Miki3999

AH97

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 30, 2019
    Hi! Has anyone heard back from Macfarlanes about the vacation scheme? They are apparently reviewing applications on a rolling basis, but now that we are slowly approaching January I wonder whether they might hold those invitations back until after the deadline?

I attended their Practice Area Open Day at the end of last month, and they said they'd be starting to send AC invites for VS applications in the 'next few weeks'!

Reactions: Ricky
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.