2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_96

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    What is the deal with Reed Smith's app form? Am I going nuts? It feels like they've missed out a section as the only questions seem to be about extracurricular activities. Do we just have to demonstrate all of our skills etc in the work experience sections?

• Haha
    Reactions: SLKEJRWOI97 and OB

Manifesting

Esteemed Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Sep 11, 2020
    What is the deal with Reed Smith's app form? Am I going nuts? It feels like they've missed out a section as the only questions seem to be about extracurricular activities. Do we just have to demonstrate all of our skills etc in the work experience sections?

You only have to do the typical essay questions once you pass their online test!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Matt_96 and Staples

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    Has anyone heard back from Addleshaw Goddard yet?
    Not yet but I only applied last week. The Grad Rec manager said in an event I attended that they have been screening applications already. But I'm not sure if that means that they are contacting as they go or will be sending out invites/PFOs in batches.

• 🤝
    Reactions: W

FC

Star Member
  • Jan 27, 2020
    Hey all. Just had an invite to the RPC Verbal Reasoning test! Does anyone know what this is like? This is one of my top firms and I'm not sure what to expect, whether it's firm developed or SHL or similar to the WG?

Hey, congrats! I did it last cycle so I'm not sure if they've changed it this year, but it was SHL style not WG :)

• ℹ️
    Reactions: cmaj

HCY

Star Member
    Aug 17, 2019
    Yeah, that candidate explicitly mentioned that the invite is for the summer vacation scheme. Plus he/she/they submitted it at the end of November and the winter deadline had passed by then.

Wishing you the best of luck with your app :)

It really depends, I would recommend not looking too much into it. I applied first week of September and was rejected last week of November.

MZ

Esteemed Member
    Forum Winner
    Oct 7, 2020
    Hey guys! Does anyone have any advice for the CMS assessment day? I’ve panic-read (and reread) all the general advice about what sort of things to consider for the case study and not dominating or being too quiet in group settings but I’m still super nervous since it’s my first AC. I know I obviously can’t prepare for every possible scenario for the case study or group exercise but any information on what type of case studies they generally go for (if there’s a specific type - like mostly M&A) and what format they ask for (written answer/presentation/just getting asked questions about it) or whether there’s anything I should read up about for the “business-related task” in the group exercise would definitely help me mentally prepare/not be as panicked, and would be very much appreciated!!

jan28

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 12, 2019
    Hey guys! Does anyone have any advice for the CMS assessment day? I’ve panic-read (and reread) all the general advice about what sort of things to consider for the case study and not dominating or being too quiet in group settings but I’m still super nervous since it’s my first AC. I know I obviously can’t prepare for every possible scenario for the case study or group exercise but any information on what type of case studies they generally go for (if there’s a specific type - like mostly M&A) and what format they ask for (written answer/presentation/just getting asked questions about it) or whether there’s anything I should read up about for the “business-related task” in the group exercise would definitely help me mentally prepare/not be as panicked, and would be very much appreciated!!

I've not experienced CMS' AC but generally the case studies can be quite time pressured if you have to read a handful before you present/answer questions. So for now I'd advise on practicing your ability to digest information quickly by maybe reading articles and quickly summarising them in structured manner in however minutes you would have during the assessment.

The format is always dependent on the firm but most start with a mini presentation and then they will probe you further on whatever you've picked out. My advice would be to listen to their questions carefully because I've messed up before where I misheard something and answered something completely different. And they didn't correct me either!

Finally, don't panic before/during the AC! You've made it this far, it'd really be a shame to fall at the final hurdle because of something like this (having said that, it does happen so don't think you're alone). Think of it as an amazing opportunity to either massively learn from or to obviously get a scheme - both are fab!! good luck!!!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.