2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

RS134

• Sep 17, 2020
    Hi!

I'm not 100% sure in my approach to M&F's question "Please detail a recent news article that has interested you and highlight how this might have an impact on our business." The only ideas I’m coming up with are things that may affect their clients which in turn would affect their business but that seems a little narrow. On the other hand more "direct" impacts would be brexit/covid etc but those have been done to death…

Is my current thought process okay? Are there any resources anyone could point me towards to understand this a bit better?

Thank you!

Last edited:

lawgirl1234

Star Member
    Oct 20, 2020
    Hi!

I'm not 100% sure in my approach to Morrison & Forester's question "Please detail a recent news article that has interested you and highlight how this might have an impact on Morrison & Foerster’s business." The only ideas I’m coming up with are things that may affect their clients which in turn would affect their business but that seems a little narrow. On the other hand more "direct" impacts would be brexit/covid etc but those have been done to death…

Is my current thought process okay? Are there any resources anyone could point me towards to understand this a bit better?

Thank you!
    I personally think, for example, Covid has undeniably had a huge impact on business & the legal sector, and for that reason will be spoken about a lot. However, if you look at how it has affected a specific sector that the firm deals with & a sector you find interesting then that's not necessarily going to have been spoken about by the majority of applicants. I think it's just wanting to show how you utilise your resources and can show a sound awareness more than anything. That's just my take on it anyway!

Reactions: CF and RS134

RS134

• Sep 17, 2020
    I personally think, for example, Covid has undeniably had a huge impact on business & the legal sector, and for that reason will be spoken about a lot. However, if you look at how it has affected a specific sector that the firm deals with & a sector you find interesting then that's not necessarily going to have been spoken about by the majority of applicants. I think it's just wanting to show how you utilise your resources and can show a sound awareness more than anything. That's just my take on it anyway!
    That's a good way of looking at it, thank you! :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello, Anyone starting their GDL this January??? I haven't earned a TC . Most of my applications are under review. I wonder if one gets a TC whilst pursuing GDL, would the Law firms reimburse the GDL course fee that was already paid ???

Depends on the individual firm’s policy. Some will refund, some will refund on a pro-data basis, some won’t refund.

corplaw0702

Esteemed Member
    Oct 15, 2020
    question for tier 4 visa students: for white & case, I put spring scheme as first choice and summer as second. unfortunately it has only just come to my attention that the firm's spring scheme runs during term time. should i notify them about this overlap or will they automatically only consider me for the summer scheme?

bel123456

Valued Member
    Jan 24, 2020
    question for tier 4 visa students: for white & case, I put spring scheme as first choice and summer as second. unfortunately it has only just come to my attention that the firm's spring scheme runs during term time. should i notify them about this overlap or will they automatically only consider me for the summer scheme?
    notify

Sudha

Standard Member
    Dec 5, 2020
    One of the questions in an app I'm currently doing is 'How would you advise a friend who wants to set up a business?' Would an appropriate structure/answer be to consider which structure best fits the needs of the business e.g. Partnership, LLP and which funding arrangements could be used? Or does it require a much more basic approach?

Any help would be great - thanks!

For creating Partnership/LLP you need atleast 2 people.
    I suggest partnership initially cause less compliance and own funds.
    LLP is a good option if they want Limited liability.
    if it is only 1 person your friend can open a limited company (private)

PS- A partnership/LLP can be converted in to Company eventually.

Georgia2208x

Standard Member
    Sep 30, 2020
    I was wondering if anyone could help me. Ive only seen on Linklaters website that you cannot apply for 2 vacation schemes but I didn't realise this. I have applied for the spring vacation scheme after getting rejected for the winter one at the first stage. Is it worth withdrawing the spring vac scheme application and applying for a straight TC as the website says you can apply for a TC after a failed vac scheme app?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.