2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZaraB

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 13, 2020
Just realised I fucked up my Gowling application lmao. Didn't read their confirmation email because I thought it was just a generic one. Turns out there was a link to the RARE recruitment thing that I had to complete within 48 hours. They said they would get back to me on the 17th if I was successful and I haven't heard anything back so...!
I would say don't overthink it too much, I haven't seen anyone that has heard from Gowling on the 17th, I think it seems we are all due to hear back on 21st an 22nd. The form is voluntary and I don't think it will matter to be honest:)

• 🤝
Reactions: ellwilsen, Kola and OB

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Hi all, I've been invited to complete Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner's online test. All I've been told is that "The test is a strengths based assessment and will contain a number of scenario based questions, testing candidate’s situational judgement and critical reasoning".

Does anyone have any general advice? I'm a bit nervous about the mysteriousness of it all!
    There’s quite a few posts on TCLA from a few weeks ago about the test! As @Celestie said, it’s like a SJT and mini critical reasoning. The look of the test was similar to Linklaters where you click on different tiles as you work through it.

• 🤝
    Reactions: ZaraB and Celestie

hunter

Star Member
  • Oct 30, 2020
    Hi, does anyone know how many more offers than trainee spots that law firms make?
    Say a firm intends to recruit 10 trainees. How many TC offers will they give out?
    Does knowing that a candidate already have a TC offer, make a firm more likely to offer them one too? or less likely?
    Because not everyone will take the offer, as they may decide to take a TC offer with another firm. I would think that this is particularly true at the top end of the legal market.

Shannon Balnaves

Standard Member
    Mar 6, 2019
    Hi all, I've been invited to complete Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner's online test. All I've been told is that "The test is a strengths based assessment and will contain a number of scenario based questions, testing candidate’s situational judgement and critical reasoning".

Does anyone have any general advice? I'm a bit nervous about the mysteriousness of it all!
    I haven't personally done BCLP tests - but strength tests tend to be selecting what you would most and least likely do in a situation or ranking responses to a situation!

My best advice would do as many practices you can! There are free ones online and also paid versions if that is an option for you :) just Google practice SJT tests!

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Hi, does anyone know how many more offers than trainee spots that law firms make?
    Say a firm intends to recruit 10 trainees. How many TC offers will they give out?
    Does knowing that a candidate already have a TC offer, make a firm more likely to offer them one too? or less likely?
    Because not everyone will take the offer, as they may decide to take a TC offer with another firm. I would think that this is particularly true at the top end of the legal market.
    I know someone who worked with multiple law firms (including A&O) as a BA and from what he could tell, there was a 'rough' amount they wanted to take a year. BUT this was not a strict number. So, if there were 21 people they absolutely loved, they wouldn't kick off one person cause they only said 20 people at the start of the year. Its a bit more contextual to the quality of applications in a cohort, performance of the firm etc

I cannot stress enough to you all to not look at the numbers - the numbers won't tell you if a firm is more likely to take you to not. Values are much more of an indicator. Look after your health in this process :)

Reactions: Dawn, Lawbour and Ricky

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    I've just had a look at Reed Smith as I didn't consider applying for them originally. Could someone enlighten me on their application process briefly? :)

anulciak7

Star Member
    May 17, 2019
    Please do. Yes it is true that some firms do give places earlier, but for one, I’ve noticed this recruitment cycle is slightly slower understandably with COVID-19, not a lot of ACs have even been given out and a lot of ‘rolling’ firms still say they won’t tell you until after the deadline. Also, the majority of people will apply within one week of the deadline. Just to put that into perspective!
    Every time I’ve got further in an application, it’s always been a rolling app that I submitted ‘late’ on. People told me I didn’t have a chance and if I listened to them I wouldn’t have got to that. If you want to apply to the firm and it’s within the deadline, do it :)

Thank you so much, this is extremely helpful! :)

anulciak7

Star Member
    May 17, 2019
    Do it!!! For firms with deadlines in January, there's still a month to go which is PLENTY of time :) Ive seen people saying that they've applied to firms the day before the deadline and still got to the next stage. If you're a great candidate they'll always look at you !! :)

Thank you! I will get back to work then :D Had a little crisis last night! Good luck everyone!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Kablahc

Payal

Standard Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 29, 2020
    I've just had a look at Reed Smith as I didn't consider applying for them originally. Could someone enlighten me on their application process briefly? :)

Hey, the initial application form asks for education, work history and extra-curricular activities, interests and achievements. On passing this stage, you are invited to a situational judgement test. After passing this, you get their 'career focus questions' which are 3 motivational/commercial awareness/strengths-based questions due in 5 days. And after that I think it's the AC.

Definitely a unique process! Hope this helped :)

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Hey, the initial application form asks for education, work history and extra-curricular activities, interests and achievements. On passing this stage, you are invited to a situational judgement test. After passing this, you get their 'career focus questions' which are 3 motivational/commercial awareness/strengths-based questions due in 5 days. And after that I think it's the AC.

Definitely a unique process! Hope this helped :)

Yeesh - interesting. I might give it a go as it is no harm I guess. Thank you very much for outlining that!

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019

In my opinion you really can’t prepare for this test. They give you scenarios & ask questions on them. Just do it in a quiet space and leave an hour for you to complete the questions. It’s not timed

Reactions: Celestie

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Hello Guys,

I have been invited to complete the Reed Smith SST online test.
    I have never done an SST test before, could you give some tips or online resources?
    Thank you in advance

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.