2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pallatablelawyer

Legendary Member
Jun 12, 2019
Just received rejection after VI at Willkie and in all honesty, I am pretty bummed because I thought I did well.
Did everyone else also have 'niche' questions about practice areas / foreign offices?
When did you complete your vi and i don’t think we are supposed to discuss specific questions etc cause of the guidelines thingy ( I’m not sure though )

Celestie

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    I really can’t tell. Quite similar to ones I’d seen online. Although some of the questions made me second guess myself. Time continued whilst reading the instructions which hasn’t been the case with some of my other WGs which surprised me. I’d deffo recommend practice practice practice.

I know its literally boxing day but I forgot the deadline for the test was on the 28th but I couldn't agree more. So similar to other ones I have completed but some Qs had me second-guessing myself. Furthermore, no confirmation email on my end either after completion so I believe we are fine :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: LS12

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    Hi, I'd appreciate if someone could help me with this! For the notorious positions of responsibility question, can we use an example from part-time work? It doesn't specify where this example should be drawn but its also with the prizes/achievements question

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Hi, I'd appreciate if someone could help me with this! For the notorious positions of responsibility question, can we use an example from part-time work? It doesn't specify where this example should be drawn but its also with the prizes/achievements question
    If you took the lead/got put in charge of something in your part time job then I think that’d be a good example! I always talk about my committee positions on uni societies for this type of question but a part time job example would also be good! Make sure you tell them all the transferrable skills you have!!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

This should be in your work experience section, not really positions of responsibility.

Reactions: Celestie

j2134

Star Member
    May 6, 2020
    Hey guys,

I have never been so stuck on a question! TLT's application includes: "Please choose a sector. What can the legal industry learn from this sector and in particular, what can TLT learn?"

I am trying to stay clear of talking about innovation in other sectors (particularly the Digital sector) as I feel this might be too generic. I am particularly struggling to work out a way of suggesting what TLT specifically could learn from a sector without sounding critical of the firm.

Any help would be appreciated!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you, I just have no positions of responsibility or prizes (except an award for high academics at A Level), so I never know how to answer this question

Did you have any at school/college?

are you not involved in anything at university outside of your degree?

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Hey guys,

I have never been so stuck on a question! TLT's application includes: "Please choose a sector. What can the legal industry learn from this sector and in particular, what can TLT learn?"

I am trying to stay clear of talking about innovation in other sectors (particularly the Digital sector) as I feel this might be too generic. I am particularly struggling to work out a way of suggesting what TLT specifically could learn from a sector without sounding critical of the firm.

Any help would be appreciated!

If it’s any help, I decided to look at the retail sector and then select three lessons the legal sector could learn from it and what that means for TLT

Reactions: Jaysen

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    Did you have any at school/college?

are you not involved in anything at university outside of your degree?
    I have some at school/college, but I’m 23 so feel like that was literally 6 years ago now. and I didn’t join any societies except the netball society but I didn’t have any responsibilities. I mostly focused on part time work

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I have some at school/college, but I’m 23 so feel like that was literally 6 years ago now. and I didn’t join any societies except the netball society but I didn’t have any responsibilities. I mostly focused on part time work

the netball is still a PoR - you were expected to turn up to training/games.

the sixth form PoR are probably important to - I wouldn’t dismiss them just because they seem like they were some time ago.

You can always add a sentence to say something like “Alongside working XX hours a week in my part time job at XYZ, I am part of the university netball team”

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.