2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legal_rawn

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 21, 2019
For the Latham app, would it be okay to talk about how I made a big sale when working as a sales assistant to help increase the stores average spend and working towards the store receiving a bonus in the december month. I am just cautious since I would be talking about my own earnings and I am not sure if that would be appropriate.

Celestie

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    For the Latham app, would it be okay to talk about how I made a big sale when working as a sales assistant to help increase the stores average spend and working towards the store receiving a bonus in the december month. I am just cautious since I would be talking about my own earnings and I am not sure if that would be appropriate.
    I would tailor it to a key skill like negotiation, presentation or communication - this could be super impressive! (And well done)

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    NRF telephone interview after passing WG!! Has anyone got any experience at all with this? Would be super helpful, never done a telephone interview
    Just received an invite to a telephone interview for NRF! Any tips or insights would be greatly appreciated!
    Hey All,

I see a lot of you received telephone interviews with NRF. HUGE CONGRATS!

I successfully passed this stage, and I am happy to share tips, give advice and alleviate any anxiety you may have. Please PM me and I’ll try get back to you as soon as I can :D

Hey all, many congratulations on getting to this stage! My experience of the telephone interview content-wise was mainly what I've already mentioned here:
    When I did mine for the 2020 VS, the questions were a little more relaxed than in a formal interview. Mine really focussed around why law/ why me/ why NRF and I think I was briefly asked about something I'd mentioned in my application as a follow-up type question. The telephone interview isn't particularly long though (maybe 20-25 minutes?) and the Grad Rec team who take them are lovely. Wishing you the very best of luck!

In terms of technique for a telephone interview, I actually tended to find them more challenging than in-person or even video interviews because there is no way of gauging your audience through facial expressions or body language. I would, however, take advantage of the fact that the same can be said for you by having easy-to-read notes in front of you giving bullet points for key answers. I would avoid having a full script, however, as it is patently obvious when one is being used and rarely comes off well. As for the general approach, some 'rules' of interviewing stay the same regardless of the medium of the interview: have a glass of water handy so you don't choke up, acknowledge the question immediately and in such a way that it gives you a couple of seconds to consider your answer before starting to speak- if necessary, filibuster for a couple of seconds before answering if you're really struggling but try to avoid this if at all possible. Listen carefully to questions and ensure you answer all components of the question- this is especially important if there are multiple parts to a question. Ensure that any questions you ask at the end are tailored to who is interviewing you: my NRF telephone interview was led by one of the Grad Rec team, for example, so I didn't ask a question that would be more suited to a fee-earner or lawyer in its substantive content.

• 🤝
    • ℹ️
    Reactions: castrooo, Sl14, Jaysen and 5 others

Lawbour

Legendary Member
    Dec 25, 2018
    I just got invited to the test stage for RPC! Has anyone here done it before and would have any tips? :)

Hey, done the test twice now lol... it's a verbal reasoning test (where the answers are "true" "false" "cannot tell")... i would recomment practicing these on Assessment Day and any other websites that have some free tests. Also, one thing I initially struggled with was making sure I only ever choose true or false when theres is something very explicit in the text that points to either, otherwise it would always be cannot tell. And make sure you are not letting any general knowledge cloud your judgement... purely base your answers on what it in the text.

Hope this helps :)

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Hey, done the test twice now lol... it's a verbal reasoning test (where the answers are "true" "false" "cannot tell")... i would recomment practicing these on Assessment Day and any other websites that have some free tests. Also, one thing I initially struggled with was making sure I only ever choose true or false when theres is something very explicit in the text that points to either, otherwise it would always be cannot tell. And make sure you are not letting any general knowledge cloud your judgement... purely base your answers on what it in the text.

Hope this helps :)
    This is really helpful thank you!!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.