2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

NikkiT

Legendary Member
Oct 2, 2020
I think midnight tonight!

A general rule I have for myself when completing applications is to assume the earlier deadline, for example, Addleshaw Goddard's is 5th Jan 2020, but I would always assume it's midnight 4th Jan 2020. I think it's best to send an application earlier to avoid disappointment especially if you've spent all your time writing it to have missed the deadline by hours.

I have just checked their Instagram and I think it is tomorrow, 5th January 11.59 pm :)

Angeliki

Standard Member
Nov 7, 2020
The question “tell me about yourself” confuses me. I don’t want to mention why law/why commercial law because it will probably come up later in the interview but I can’t mention anything personal. So what I am supposed to discuss?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
The question “tell me about yourself” confuses me. I don’t want to mention why law/why commercial law because it will probably come up later in the interview but I can’t mention anything personal. So what I am supposed to discuss?

why can’t you mention anything personal?

Reactions: SF1234 and OB

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Does anyone have advice on the Mishcon VI? Not on the specific questions, but whether they were competency or firm focused. Thanks!

Bakers take awhile to get back post-VI. I only heard back almost a month later

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019

I'd mention anything personal that you think is appropriate! Any of your hobbies, interests, passions. Anything you're particularly proud of or any interesting experience you've had that you'd like your interviewers to ask you about!

Reactions: Zoo

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Has anyone heard back from HSF yet? This is only my second cycle of applications- I applied fairly early and am quite stressed as I haven't heard anything yet? When is it normal for firms to respond about ACs?

For context, last cycle I sent out my app for the Spring VS in mid November, got the confirmation that I passed the test end November, and then radio silence before the AC invite I got at the end of Feb! So especially in HSF's case, no news is definitely good news :)

Reactions: OB

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    I'm just prepping for an interview and wondering what you should say to this question: Why do you want to be a solicitor and not a barrister? Little unsure as to exactly what to say.

I agree with what everyone else has already said. Your answer to this would sound most convincing if you had personal experiences to back it up and if you were able to really explain how your choice to be a solicitor aligned better with your own personal career goals. My own reason, although I'm not sure how convincing it was, was that I believed my career as a solicitor would be far more flexible than that of a barrister. Depending on what kind of clients you deal with could become expert in laws in multiple jurisdictions and could potentially be drafted to give advice on industries that weren't strictly your field of expertise. Contrast with barristers who get called in to firms to advice on niche aspects of laws in deals but may not necessarily be able to see the wider deal/case through to the end while solicitors get that visibility. For me at least the wider picture makes things more interesting.

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    Has anyone heard back from DLA post-WG for summer VS? Do we even find out whether we've met the WG benchmark? :)
    They started sending AC invites just before Christmas. I think they've been sending them in batches each week. I have my AC next Tuesday (eek) - I applied back in October. They didn't mention the WG at all - they don't release your scores - so I guess the only way of knowing for sure if you passed the benchmark is if you get an invite?

Good luck!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Haz

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020

The way I look at it is that you might not get to an interview. So you need to showcase your absolute best on the application. I held back last year and it resulted in me not getting past the application for many firms. Don't make that mistake - use every opportunity to stand out.

Tell them what motivates you, tell them what makes you different from other candidates (hobbies, achievements). If it's something really interesting, chances are that they will simply ask you to expand on it in the interview.

JW

Star Member
    Mar 17, 2020
    There isn’t. Unless there is and I couldn’t find it lol. No but I don’t think I’ve seen anyone who has put their module breakdowns in, AG is taking a new approach to academics and not putting as much emphasis on grades

I attended a webinar with them and they said that this was a new form this year and that they still wanted to see our module scores. I included mine because of this but honestly cannot remember the format anyhow I put them in as I done the application a while ago so it worries me now how I've done it but too afraid to go back and look at it haha! I know so many people having this issue with the application so I would hope that it won't affect the outcome for anybody who has or hasn't included them!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.