2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
Very interesting question, and a challenging position to be in!

Unfortunately, although City law has (generally) made leaps and bounds in terms of acceptance etc in new recruits, there are still many people (often older Partners etc) who don't have such nuanced and open opinions about things- especially something like pole dancing which obviously falls outside of D&I drives etc. I myself have been in a similar position (albeit not with pole dancing- I don't think I'm quite 'cut out' for that...) with hobbies that might have preconceived notions attached to them, and I would typically moderate them in some way. The closest parallel that now affects me would be the fact that I'm quite heavily tattooed. Both my arms are in the process of getting sleeved out, as is my lower leg and my back is covered by two huge tigers. While I know that tattoos don't affect my ability to be a lawyer, and people are gradually more and more accepting of tattoos as a means of expression etc, I wouldn't choose to disclose to my firm that I'm interested in/ collect tattoos (and would never have my hands/ neck etc inked) because, unfortunately, there are definite pre-conceived notions about tattoos.

To that end, I would probably just mention "dancing" without specifying that it is particularly pole dancing- I think this would tend to strike a balance between being authentic but also mitigating the risk of someone with preconceived notions perhaps judging you in a different light for that.

Others may have differing views on this- I would caveat my response by saying that I don't think anyone should ever need to be embarrassed or anxious about disclosing a hobby or interest and it's a real shame that we have to have discussions like this. Alas, though, we do and personally I would always err on the side of caution/ pragmatism in spite of the fact that it shouldn't have to be a consideration.
Interestingly, when I was working as a manager in a hotel (going back maybe 6 years ago now), I once hired someone with a tattoo that was slightly visible on her neck. I got an absolute bollocking from the hotel manager because she wasn't the right 'fit' for us. Anyway, the girl turned out to be an absolute superstar - a real asset to the hotel. She even won employee of the month (out of a staff of 100+) a couple of times while I worked there.

Hopefully one day we'll not let such silly little things dictate how we assess somebody's suitability for a role...

• 🤝
Reactions: Dheepa, Zoo and OB

Celestie

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Hi guys, I cannot seem to find my S&S application anywhere on my laptop, CVMAIL has a lovely habit of not downloading them properly and I now cannot access my answers. @Jessica Booker any recommendations on what to do with this?

Sophie R

Standard Member
    Sep 14, 2020
    Hi guys!

I have done a few application cycles and I am just not being able to sell myself. I find myself especially stuck on the, "why do you want to be a solicitor" question. I've tried listing all the reasons I do plus the skills and experiences that go with it, yet I can't help but think something is missing, maybe I need more commercial insight or I don't know really. Is there any structure or advice anyone thinks really worked for them? Would be super grateful for any guidance!

Thanks for the help :)

Kola

Legendary Member
    Sep 27, 2020
    I second this! I previously used to be an amateur boxer and I'm never sure whether to mention it. I'm worried about what preconceptions the interviewer/assessor may have about it.

Although you never asked for input, I would personally include it in all of my applications. I do Boxing as a hobby and I've included it. The overlap between people who want to do Commercial Law and the people who do/have done amateur boxing is microscopically small. Consequently, you've instantly put yourself in a unique position, especially when it comes to the interview stage where one of the most important things is to be memorable. Law firms are also looking for people who aren't physically weak; they need someone who can handle 12hr+ days on the regular (depending on where you apply). Boxing shows you have excellent stamina, and can physically keep up with the demanding work environment.

Kola

Legendary Member
    Sep 27, 2020
    Hi guys!

I have done a few application cycles and I am just not being able to sell myself. I find myself especially stuck on the, "why do you want to be a solicitor" question. I've tried listing all the reasons I do plus the skills and experiences that go with it, yet I can't help but think something is missing, maybe I need more commercial insight or I don't know really. Is there any structure or advice anyone thinks really worked for them? Would be super grateful for any guidance!

I generally structure my answer by divided into 'why law' and 'why commercial law'. I initially start by talking about how history, work experience and the positions of responsibility I held at school led me to become interested in law. I then talk about what specially I did that sparked my interest in commercial law. I then progress my answer by talking about what subsequent things I did to cement my interest in commercial law (stuff at university, work experience etc.).

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Hi guys!

Hey! What’s your typical answer for why commercial law? While experiences are key, it really depends how you link it to your motivations that separates a good answer from a convincing one.

Happy for you to drop me a message if you want to keep experiences etc private!

Bugsy Malone

Legendary Member
    Commercial Writer
    Junior Lawyer
    Jun 24, 2018
    I’m really worried about MdR. Seems like people have got a lot of VIs but I applied mid December and haven’t heard anything :(
    Last year I applied on the deadline day and wasn't invited to VI until about 6 weeks later, and then secured a VS. As hard as it is, try not to read into it too much! :)

eveh1784

Star Member
    Jan 21, 2020
    Hey guys - I completed my Bakers VI on the 21st of December. The deadline was on the 23rd at 00.00 and its showing as completed at 10am on the 23rd on the portal. This would be after the deadline. Should I contact grad rec and check that this is a glitch they recognise?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.