2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hele25

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 5, 2021
Fellow OU Student here! just finished in the summer :) Yeah I agree we don't get much guidance or advice on the application process, I'm in my second cycle and only applying to firms that offer the areas I'm most interested in, think I only applied to 8 or 9 firms last cycle.

Congratulations! :) I know right? It’s certainly been a learning experience figuring it all out alone.
Good luck!
Difficult to say what 'normal' is, but generally I would say the average is around 10-15. It's just the average though - I have seen people securing a successful outcome by submitting as little as 3 and as high as 40.

Goodness, it’s just so difficult to know what’s expected/going to lead to a successful outcome. Thanks :)

lozza_2

Distinguished Member
Nov 25, 2019
Rejection from Hogan Lovells :( not sure if I failed the WG or if it was my application, anyone know if we can find out?

Im sorry to hear this, I think I saw someone post that if you email grad recruitment they will let you know your mark (however, when I was rejected I didn’t ask!) Best of luck with the rest of your applications.

• 🤝
Reactions: Emily K

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I've got a written assessment coming up with a focus on time management, and I would just like a heads-up on what I can expect in terms of format and rules regarding what I can do during the assessment (maybe it's different for each firm using the platform). Thank you!

They will tell you the rules as such before the assessment starts.

You won’t be able to download or copy anything from documents off Topscore. You are likely to just be given some documents to view only and then will have to write your answer in a formatted text box (similar to this forum) within the time given.

What I don’t know is whether you will need to be on camera during this process or not, but again they are likely to tell you this either at the start of the assessment centre or at the start of this individual assessment.

It is likely to platform won’t have a spellcheck system, but depending on what is/isn’t allowed, you might not be impossible for you to copy and paste your answer into a word doc to check things like that. The employer will explain what tools you can/cannot use though (like the internet etc) although reality is that it’s impossible for them to know - they are relying on your integrity (which is obviously very important).

E.A

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
Dec 11, 2019
Rejection from Hogan Lovells :( not sure if I failed the WG or if it was my application, anyone know if we can find out?
Sorry to hear that! I am still waiting to hear back from them too. I applied to HL once before and I got rejected straight away as I didn't pass the WG. This time, I passed the WG I believe (I asked for my percentile) and I believe they review your application only if you pass it so I'm not sure whether the decision is based only on the application or both application and WG?

• 🤝
Reactions: Emily K

Staples

Legendary Member
  • Sep 11, 2020
    I think you can ask straight out! When they rejected me, I asked for my WG report, and when they sent it through they also told me that based on the percentile I had passed it but had been rejected based on the application form

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Bugsy Malone and Emily K

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
    Feb 16, 2019
    Rejected for Bakers post VI(honestly expected it lol) but

Telephone interview for Skadden! Applied on the 26th of Dec. Wasn't expecting it at all, so I'm chuffed :D .

I've never had any interactions with Skadden since they're one of the few US firms to not attend our uni events, so I'd appreciate it if anyone has any tips for the firm, and if they have any notes or previous experiences :D

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.