2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manifesting

Esteemed Member
2020 Community Winner
Sep 11, 2020
150 words to explain why I want to pursue a career as a solicitor and the qualities I have that will make me a successful solicitor at the firm.

Barely enough words to give one reason for each part - would appreciate any advice anyone has? Have been trying to answer this question for three weeks but I just end up frustrated at the lack of word count.
I faced the same situation with an application, where I had to distill my “why law” response to very few words.

Here are two approaches that could help you:

1. Start your response from scratch. Adapting a longer response can be tougher because you might be “attached” to the stuff you previously wrote and find it harder to cut down. So, start with an outline with the most important pieces of motivation and best aligned competencies.

2. Adapt your existing responses. Look through all of your “why law” responses and all of your writing that talks about your competencies and skills. Think about which reasons and traits you have the most evidence for, what you find most important. Ruthlessly edit your text down. But be sure to give it to others as sometimes in the process of cutting things down, you might loose flow and important connectors. (Just make sure your writing makes sense!)

Writing really short stuff can be daunting as you are forced to really drill down to the core of your motivations. But that’s also what makes this exercise so great!

One of the best pieces of advice I got on “why law” was to not give a timeline and not tell a story. This advice, from Willkie, felt very counterintuitive for me as my writing style is very storytelling-driven. However, eliminating the “I did this, which led me to that” elements helped me really understand what was it that I liked about commercial law. I still link back to my experiences but I do so to illustrate the point I am making about my motivation.

Also, regarding your situation, I think it’s fine to have one key reason for “why law”. However, since the prompt talks about qualities in plural, I would go for a couple ones for that (or a super big over-arching one).

frog

Star Member
Dec 11, 2020
Last summer I applied for a direct TC at Bates Wells with very little knowledge about how to write successful rejections (did things like bullet pointed work experience etc.) and unsurprisingly I got rejected. This year I want to reapply for the VS but I'm worried because I don't have anything new to really talk about given it was only about 6 months ago and covid.

Has anyone got any advice on this? How likely is it that I would get through this year talking about the same things, just (hopefully) written as a stronger application and going for the VS instead?

I felt that my answers aligned with the firm strongly and were quite unique.

GK8997

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 25, 2020
Hi guys,

I have a bit of a dilemma: I was shortlisted for an AC at a firm and it was due to take place Wednesday however, I have now contracted coronavirus and am feeling extremely unwell. I know I won't be able to prepare or perform to the best of my ability to emailed the firm to let them know the situation. Last time I emailed, I received an automatic reply saying GR would get back to me but I didn't receive this email this time, nor have I head from GR- not sure whether I should wait until end of today but I don't want to leave it to late or not prepare over the weekend only for my AC to still be on! Any advice?

• Sad
Reactions: OB and cmaj

anon101

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 2, 2020
So sorry to hear :( I was rejected 3 years in a row by HSF and every time it crushed me so I understand how you feel. Relax today, pick yourself back up, and redirect your efforts into another firm!!!! Everything will work out in the end!!!!

Did you get your application reviewed by Jaysen? If not, definitely do so! I submitted a rejected application retrospectively this year and it helped me so much :)

We are all with you and this is just one step in your journey, you will get there ❤️
Thank you so much, I appreciate all the advice and support from this forum. It's really helped me get through this difficult and daunting process. And yes, I did get an application reviewed, but it wasn't for HSF so maybe that was the reason ahahah 🤔

Me after this rejection to the other firms I've applied to:

Angry Season 3 GIF by The Office

Bugsy Malone

Legendary Member
Commercial Writer
Junior Lawyer
Jun 24, 2018
Also received
Hi guys,

I have a bit of a dilemma: I was shortlisted for an AC at a firm and it was due to take place Wednesday however, I have now contracted coronavirus and am feeling extremely unwell. I know I won't be able to prepare or perform to the best of my ability to emailed the firm to let them know the situation. Last time I emailed, I received an automatic reply saying GR would get back to me but I didn't receive this email this time, nor have I head from GR- not sure whether I should wait until end of today but I don't want to leave it to late or not prepare over the weekend only for my AC to still be on! Any advice?
Sorry to hear you are unwell. I would try calling them asap. Hope you feel better soon :)

frog

Star Member
Dec 11, 2020
Thank you so much, I appreciate all the advice and support from this forum. It's really helped me get through this difficult and daunting process. And yes, I did get an application reviewed, but it wasn't for HSF so maybe that was the reason ahahah 🤔

Me after this rejection to the other firms I've applied to:

Angry Season 3 GIF by The Office
My HSF rejection also got me quite down because I spent a long time researching and writing my answers, had it checked over and felt like it was one of my stronger applications!

You are right, this forum is really comforting in knowing you are not alone in the process.

Hope you are doing ok!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.